The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
GOPAPA

Have Any Thoughts On These Problems?

When I took the bed off to install my rear gas tank I thought that I should replace my shocks and tracking arm with all that room to do so in..but...

With a closer look I noticed that my rear end has been welded on both sides and now not sure what I should do . I assume the rear end is centered and if it is ,then why install a tracking arm,, Right ?
If some one has a measurement of center of bolt to center of bolt on the tracking arm hook up ,,I could see how close mine is ..

Another thing is that the PO ,ers let the bottoms of the rear shocks on both sides loosen up and wear a much larger hole for the bolts and now I either need to buy new shock brackets or weld a thick washer on to fix this problem.

I guess if I took the old brackets off and put new ones on I wouldn't have to worry about me losing center of the rear end because of the weld . Right ?

Then I found out by holding the tank ( A blazer poly tank sold for these trucks) up to the frame that the tanks chair ledges (under box-in wrench on it in picture) that comes up and holds fast against the bottom of the frames only uses half of its width due to the tank not being long enough to reach . Not as secure as I like.. any thoughts on what others have done about this .? thanks Papa

EDITED :: I measured the distance from bolt center to bolt center and I have 23 1/2 inches for the tracking arm ,,so to know if I have been lowered or not could some one measure theirs that has NOT been lowered to let me know which I need between the extention one of a factory one. I also have 10 inches of coil spring with out my bed on and with out a few pounds for seats and front and rear window .

click on picture to enlarge

Last edited by GOPAPA; 10-22-2008 at 03:10 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Have Any Thoughts On These Problems?

You need the tracking bar or the rear end will not stay centered once you start driving
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

The rear end is held to the trailing arm by the U bolts, the welds only hold the pads to the axle. The panhard (tracking}bar keeps the whole mess from moving side to side.Its what centers the rear end. Thats why when you lower these trucks the bar has to be lengthened to keep things centered.The lower shock mounts can be replaced by removing the U bolts but its easier to weld in a washer.Here is some info on mounting a blazer tank.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=74876
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The pads are supposed to be welded to the rear end housing. If you had leaf springs you wouldn't need the track bar but with coil springs you do. The coils have enough flex that they would allow the whole rear end to move from side to side....

If you welded a washer at least as thick or thicker than the shock mount plate I think you would be OK or you can replace the whole bracket as sneakysnake stated.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote