The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Egdorf

Frame bracing? Converting to disc brakes?

Hi, I have a couple questions.
First, I have started the build on my 68 C10 stepside. I found a brace on each side, riveted directly in front of the coil spring pad to the side and bottom of the frame. The problem is rust developed in between these two spots, and actually pushed them apart. I attached a picture. Keep in mind that in the picture the frame has been flipped over so you are really looking at the underside. I'm knocking out the rivets and taking those plates out, straightening the lumps in the frame, then painting and bolting back in the plates. I just wanted to know if anyone has noticed these before, and/or had the same problem. My guess is that these braces just gave some additional frame support by the springs.
My other question concerns brakes. Since I want to make this truck go fast (some day) I want to upgrade the drums in the front to disc. I don't think I need fancy aftermarket brakes, stock will do. Do the later year stock Chevy disc brakes work with the stock spindles?
Thanks for any and all help.
Jerry
Attached Images

Egdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: Frame bracing? Converting to disc brakes?

First off, to the board! As far as brakes are concerned, you can use the front suspension from any 73-87 Chevy or 88-91 'Burb to swap your drums to disks. You can swap the entire crossmember, which may work well for you since you're down to a bare frame (looks good btw) You can also mate the control arms from the aforementioned vehicles to your existing crossmember and use the newer spindles, tie-rods, centerlink, etc. Another advantage to this swap is that the later model suspension parts are quite a bit cheaper. In regards to your other question, I don't really have a useful answer, but I've requested that your thread be moved to an area where it can be seen by more members so we can help you out. We're glad you're here; keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited by dave2953; 01-11-2008 at 03:21 PM.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
gunnersm8

in the susp thread, i was told that you dont even need the a arms, just install the 73-87 ball joints, and some kind of sleeve for the tie rod end. is the benefit of taking the a arms that you can use the tie rod/ends from the 73-87?
gunnersm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
tumbleweed68

I'm doing the same thing. I have taken the whole front suspension (cross member and all ) out of an 80 c-10 to use. the reason i wanted to use everything is because the bushings on the a-arms are easier to change than that of the older style. They are less frustrating to install and redily aval. at local parts stores. Hope this helps.
tumbleweed68 is offline   Reply With Quote