The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
krazy_texan

how much do i need

i have a 50lbs capacity blaster and was wondering how much abrahsive i would need to use to do the whole entire body of my lwb truck any and all help appreciated
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:31 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

It really depends on if you have an area to blast it where you can recover your sand. If you can recover your media and then screen it back into your blaster you will be much better off. I used 3 70lb bags of silica to do my cab. By the time I was nearing completion the sand was getting very dusty and had very little "power" left to it.

If you are doing this outside I would guess that it would take 10 or more bags to complete a cab alone (inside and out). A whole body would take a bunch!!

Let me know about your set up and I could give you a better guess on the amount of sand. I'm sure others will offer their suggestions as well.

Good luck, that will be no small chore to do all in one setting.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 05:55 PM   #3
krazy_texan

i was thinking of building like a makeshift booth out of plywood or tin or something that i could easily take down when done could i do that and then use my shop vac to suck it up and then pumping it back into my blaster
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

That would probably work. I would recommend a couple things though. First, make sure you have a respirator designed for blasting. Breathing this stuff will clog you up bad. Secondly, I would get some kind of exhaust fan to pull out the dust. You don't want it on the floor or it will take out your sand.

Lastly, you will want to get some kind of screen to filter your sand before loading it back into your blaster. Eastwood sells one for a few bucks that works well. While you are on their site I would pick up a blasting hood if you don't already have one.

As far as the amount of sand I would guess you will use around 10 bags or so. I would stick with very fine silica (we buy ours at Meeks) as an aggressive media will pit or warp your body panels.

Good luck and be prepared to get very dirty and don't get in a hurry!
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote