The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
The Big Green

Wood beds with bags??? Anyone got pics?

I'm bagging mine, and I have a wood bed. Whats everyone doing thats laying their truck that has a wood bed. I don't like the idea of bagging it, and cutting up my once nice wood bed, once nice 15 years ago. I need to replace it, I don't care now, its out, but what can I do when I do replace it? I thought about putting in nice wood in front, and behind the step notch, doing the polished strips, and then making a nice polished diamond plate over the notch. Sounds nice, in my head...lol. Anyone have pics, of something that can be done?
The Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Re: Wood beds with bags??? Anyone got pics?

I don't have any pictures, but I have seen others raise the wood in the bed and of course it makes your bed look more shallow, but you get to keep the look.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer View Post
I don't have any pictures, but I have seen others raise the wood in the bed and of course it makes your bed look more shallow, but you get to keep the look.
I have juggled that idea around, but I don't care for the shallow look, plus it is time consuming. I still use this truck to carry minor things, and I don't want to lose any space.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Even with the CPP notch, you'll bottom out the rearend on the wood before you get to the top of the notch. You're nowhere near laying the frame on the ground at that point (maybe 6-8" to go).
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
leftcoast66

Its one or the other, a slammed truck or a non raised bed floor, your gonna run into issues like xxl said. Search a bit and there's pics of what people have done.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
The Big Green

I know I'll have to cut, I'd rather cut my bed out than raise up the floor. I use this truck, so I don't really want to lay out, and I don't want to lose any depth in my bed.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
ulakovic22

You asked what guys were doing with their beds that were laying out and they told you that you have to raise it considerably. In your last post you say that you don't want to lay out and don't want to raise your bed so I'm at a loss as to what you really want.

If your bed is old and crappy just pull it out and lower your truck where ever you want it and then install your new bed afterwards around the suspension. That's the only way you will get what you want. Everything else will be a compromise between cargo capacity and how low you can go.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Green View Post
I'm bagging mine, and I have a wood bed. Whats everyone doing thats laying their truck that has a wood bed. I don't like the idea of bagging it, and cutting up my once nice wood bed,
Quote:
I know I'll have to cut, I'd rather cut my bed out than raise up the floor. I use this truck, so I don't really want to lay out, and I don't want to lose any depth in my bed.

I guess I don't understand what you're asking the board to respond to.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

So what your saying is you want to cut out that area you need to cut and use the rest of the bed right.

Then you want to know what others would cover their notches with to blend in with the rest of the bed so the surrounding areas could still be used?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

I suppose you could do something like this around your C-notches and of course your going to have to leave room for your fenders. Make it out of wood so it matches the bed I guess.

http://images.minitruckinweb.com/con...custom_bed.jpg

Build a bridge and do something like this if you want. However I think it looks unfinished myself with it in the middle.

http://images.minitruckinweb.com/tec...thout_Tubs.jpg

Maybe don't notch it as much and bend up some metal over the entire thing.

http://image.automotive.com/f/featur...custom_bed.jpg

Sure a shallow bed doesn't look as good, but it does in this photo and you still get the full use of the bed.

http://www.supafly.com/images/journa...evy_Truck6.jpg

Last edited by kizer; 10-24-2008 at 01:05 PM.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
BBDC

Wooden C-Notches
BBDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Me I plan on going as low as I can without the notch then I'll figure it out from there. I'm not planning on sitting on my frame rails or putting the axle housing up against the bed, but heck time will tell. Good luck on whatever you decide, however I'd figure out what you want to do exactly then plan accordingly. I'm sure others have done it too.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC View Post
Wooden C-Notches
Hahaha, make sure they are at least OAK becuase I hear that pine stuff will snap pretty easy.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Me I plan on going as low as I can without the notch then I'll figure it out from there. I'm not planning on sitting on my frame rails or putting the axle housing up against the bed, but heck time will tell. Good luck on whatever you decide, however I'd figure out what you want to do exactly then plan accordingly. I'm sure others have done it too.
1.5" blocks, bags bolted in the stock location, plus a bolt-in style c-notch & the rear pumpkin will be knocking a hole through the bed wood in a short period of time.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Welp, thanks SCOTI for making me feel small. hahaha
Old 10-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
leftcoast66

Wasn't this supposed to be a trailer queen like you had said why you don't need shocks or anything like that because it won't be driven and will be trailered. Sit down and figure out what you want from the truck then go buy parts. Otherwise your gonna be buying a whole lot of extra parts to make it work. Also will have a lot of extra headaches.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
Nor does he.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
Pics of trucks laying out, just because I don't really want to lay mine out now, doesn't mean I would'nt like some pics. This is my first bagged truck, I don't want to go crazy, but if I feel the need to later on, I would like to see pics. If I have to raise the floor, I do not want to ever lay out.

First post, wanted to see pics, never did I say, I want to lay this truck out.

Sorry if you guys got confused, but we are going with my first post, Tread is about pics on Wood beds, with trucks Laying out.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #19
The Big Green

Quote:
I suppose you could do something like this around your C-notches and of course your going to have to leave room for your fenders. Make it out of wood so it matches the bed I guess.

http://images.minitruckinweb.com/con...custom_bed.jpg

Build a bridge and do something like this if you want. However I think it looks unfinished myself with it in the middle.

http://images.minitruckinweb.com/tec...thout_Tubs.jpg

Maybe don't notch it as much and bend up some metal over the entire thing.

http://image.automotive.com/f/featur...custom_bed.jpg

Sure a shallow bed doesn't look as good, but it does in this photo and you still get the full use of the bed.

http://www.supafly.com/images/journa...evy_Truck6.jpg

Yes, now thats what I'm wanting, pic 3, bed built up, but no gaps for things to fall thru.

Last pic is nice, but no room, seems things will fly out. I think a bed like that is, well just funny looking, IMO.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #20
Shane
Account Suspended

Do a search ... plenty of pics posted of what you are asking for.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
The Big Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoast66 View Post
Wasn't this supposed to be a trailer queen like you had said why you don't need shocks or anything like that because it won't be driven and will be trailered. Sit down and figure out what you want from the truck then go buy parts. Otherwise your gonna be buying a whole lot of extra parts to make it work. Also will have a lot of extra headaches.

You are right! I did want that, but as for having this poor old truck for 11 years, and always driving the **** out of it, and blowing up engines, D-shafts, and just about everything else. I put a bone stock 350 in, and thought about a few things. In my area, no one ever drives anything oldschool, frankly that suck balls, excuse my language. I'd rather not go all out on this thing, and use it, rather than see the thing have to sit on a trailer.

So, I thought, and thought some more, bags still in shipping, and I do not want to lay out, YET, maybe later.

So sorry guys, for confusing you, but if I WASN'T confused, I wouldn't be on this board.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #22
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

The Big Green, Sorry if the guys came across a lil abrupt, I think it was mass confusion that is to blame for this

Basically it all depends on how low you want to go, the lower you want to go the more you are going to have to mod your bed floor
IMO it is less usable to have bump in them middle of your bed, unless it is rather small & then you wouldnt want to slide any sheet rock over it & it would make it hard to slide anything very far in the bed

The picture of the blue truck with the raised floor is at the extreme, I am not laying frame with my truck & only needed a 6" Z on the rear of my frame, so I am only loosing 6" of my bed & that leaves it about 12" deep

So since you like your truck as a hauler, you have to decide how much of your bed you are willing to loose & if its none, that ok too there are plenty of trucks with no notch that look just fine

IIRC this is my old truck aired out in the back with no notch (if you notch it, youre gonna have to cut your bed floor one way or another)

This is close to where the bed will set on my new truck with a 6" Z'd rear & I am currently raising my bed floor to allow for this

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
So sorry guys, for confusing you, but if I WASN'T confused, I wouldn't be on this board.
No harm, no foul. Everyone here is willing to help if you ask a question then accept their answer as credible. It's rather hard to give an intelligent answer when you flip-flop with what your asking.

It's really up to you to decide what level of compromise you want. My 77 is a good example of accepting the end result because of my level of compromise. I refused to cut my bed, or remove the fender liners, and insisted that it would roll when aired out. Those demands were met, but the end result is a truck that not really low by today's standards. I accept that fact.

What you need accept is you are going have to compromise your bed space by cutting or raising it if you want more than a mild drop. If you don't want to compromise the bed, then realize your never going to "Lay Out"...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote