The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Seedo Needle Removal.

I noticed a while back that someone had wondered if the needle on the speedo could be removed to fit a replacment rather than try to repaint it. Well I was forced to go that route, and it turns out you can, if you remove the two screws on the dial so that you can tilt it out of the way a bit, and place a small screwdriver under the stem of the needle, then using a firm and carefull prying movment it pops right off. Then to keep your fresh new needle fixed in place dab a small amount of Super Glue on the peg...but be carefull that you make sure you are glueing it at 0, and your good to go.

This pic shows why I just used the needle from the new Dial, I was dissapointed when I saw my new dial, the markings were really thick and not as clean and sharp looking as the original. I did not use the old Dial in the pic it was a spare I used to try this out before removing mine.

I did want to use the new speedo mecanisim and counter but it was also different to the original, the window for the counter was bigger on the old one and to fit the new mecanisim behind the old Dial would have meant some fab work and still not looked as i'd have liked.

Sorry if this has already been covered by someone else.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote