The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
GlennBrittain

Need help with Hidden Hitch and Rear bumper install

I need help with installing my hidden hitch and bumper. I will be mounting my rear fuel tank from fuel cell guy at the same time. All I have to go by is my bare frame. Anyone have pictures of a stock rear bumper and hidden hitch mounted a bare frame. Measurements of where to mount the bumper brackets and the hidden hitch would help. I hope to finish up with FEMA, the SBA, and my insurance adjuster in the next few days. I can then return to East Texas where my project is located. I will need to get a dial up service for East Texas. I had moved my Wild Blue account to Galveston County, it went with my old computer. I replaced both with a lap top and AT&T wireless connect modem. I do not think it will work well at our home in East Texas. If I do not respond to replies in a timely manner it will be due to internet access.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
GlennBrittain

Re: Need help with Hidden Hitch and Rear bumper install

Anyone. Still looking for position to mount hitch, or how far back from the end of the frame should the receiver be.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

do you have the hinged license plate frame setup? Thats where you may run out of space.

Not sure what type of hidden hitch my truck has, but the license plate frame is hinged and with the current rear bumper and bracket setup, the license frame will not go down all the way flush, because it hits the reciever portion of the hitch.

If I cut a 4" hole in the middle of the license frame and my plate I think it would lay flat.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
SCOTI

I don't have the pics your requesting but the bumper mounts where it's supposed to, no changes there.

I used ECE's 'hidden-hitch' & it has holes that line up w/holes that are already in the frame. I remember having to slightly open up a couple of holes on the frame to make it easier to install the bolts - that was all.

I added a blazer tank after the hitch was installed & it only required modifying the hitch slightly to allow everything to fit together. The ECE hitch is available in a truck or blazer version; the latter would not require the mods I had to do.

I also installed an ECE 67-72 Hidden Hitch in my 74. The main tip would be to keep the hitch positioned as far back on the frame as the installed bumper allows.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-07-2008 at 10:55 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
GlennBrittain

Thanks for the replies and info. I apoligize for the tardiness. I had moved my computers to Galveston County along with my Wild Blue internet service. Ike took all of it out. We purchased a laptop with AT&T wireless internet service. Works great in town, but was not working at all here in the Piney Woods. Today I discovered my cell phone now works in the front yard. So here I am out in the front yard using lawn furniture in the 38 degree weather. I do connect but it is really slow.
I am installing all on a bare frame with no example to go by. The ECE rear cross brace is a given. but there are choices when mounting the fender brackets. Plus all the time I have been back in East Texas I have not got to work on this truck. I would still like to find a beater sport bumper and brackets to fit my ECE hidden hitch and FUELCELLGUY tank.
I will have to return to Hitchcock in the next couple of days to settle with our insurance adjuster.
If I gety camera going again I will take pictures also.
many thanks again
Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
GlennBrittain

During my retrurn trip to Hitchcock, I stopped at a car lot between Nacogdoches and Lufkin Texas. Thier main buisness is collectible cars and trucks. I looked at a 72 C10 with a sport bumber. I do not want to admit that had I tried to mount my new brackets thier possition would have been evident.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennBrittain View Post
During my retrurn trip to Hitchcock, I stopped at a car lot between Nacogdoches and Lufkin Texas. Thier main buisness is collectible cars and trucks. I looked at a 72 C10 with a sport bumber. I do not want to admit that had I tried to mount my new brackets thier possition would have been evident.
Funny how some things worry us. Then, we just get in there & try only to find it's a cake-walk.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote