The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
BurnoutNova

Went to an auction today...

There was a local business that was moving, due to the city making a highway right where his shop was located... The business used to be a real popular garage here in town, and then in the early '90s he converted it to a fishing tackle and bait shop, less physical than working on cars I assume. Anyway There was lots of old school tools and shop equiptment and it went very cheap in my opinion.

I bought a neat old Sun Infra-Red Engine analyzer, with an oscilloscope, built in timing light and dwell meter, and it will also test exaust hydro carbons and carbon content... pretty cool I thought. Also got a nice old Stut spring compressor, a valve spring compressor, 2 ridge reamers, and some piston ring groove cleaners. There was lots of stuff I'd of loved to have but just dodnt think I had the room for it all. The Snap on scanner he had only went for $175, and he even had a 72 K10 with a plow on it, ran good but really rusty... went for $600 I should have bought it

heres a pic of the engine analyzer, and the plow truck I should have bought
Attached Images

BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
BurnoutNova

Re: Went to an auction today...

forgot to say the '72 K10 was bought new buy the guy who owned the shop, it was kind of neat to see the original owner still have it, I know it was a rusty pos, but it was a plow truck and work truck its whole life.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

Interesting that the A pillar is painted white.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

not really........a lot were........
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
fine69

YOU let that truck sell for $600????? You are a bad boy.....

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
'68 C-20

I have one of those old Oscilloscopes (different Brand and just the scope, not an anylizer), It was in my families garage and my Father used it to do tune ups for years. (but I never got the Tach adapter for it, still searching for one.) You can get a massive amount of Engine information from them, it will diagnose, valve problems, ring issues, in addition to the 'lectical side of the ignition system. I use mine to tune my ’51 8N, I have a dozen folks with vintage motors who bring ‘em by for a scan from time to time. You just hook up to N0. 1 cylinder and let her go. These units were the very pinnacle of high tech in the ’60 and ’70 when our trucks were built.

Did you get the books with the diagrams to show you how to read the Oscilloscope output screens? If not PM me, I can scan you copies of the pages in my book and send them to you. Without the diagnostic screen-prints the output is just gobbledygook.
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
HOTFUN

I saw that truck listed in CL several times but for $2000 by the original owner. Looked too rusty to call about for 2K but a good parts truck for the drivetrain at $600.
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
griesel72

i would have paid $600 for that truck, wouldn't the plow have been worth half of that??
2006 King Ranch
1980 Wife
griesel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I used one of those EA's in high school about a million years ago.They will give lots of data.One of those and a drum roller set up would do almost as good a tune as a dyno.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTFUN View Post
I saw that truck listed in CL several times but for $2000 by the original owner. Looked too rusty to call about for 2K but a good parts truck for the drivetrain at $600.
Yep, thats the one... He tried to sell everything before resorting to an auction, I thought he wanted $1600, but I saw the price slowly drop. I was kinda interested, and went and looked at it. I just have to many projects, and no matter how good of a deal that truck would have been a project. Not to mention I know this guy, and buy fishing tackle and bait from him all the time... so I didnt want to lowball and potentially offend him. He was even pissed it only brought $600... but thats not to say the guy who was bidding wouldnt have gone higher, if I would have been bidding as well, right?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
YOU let that truck sell for $600????? You are a bad boy.....
I know... Not that I had $600 to burn for one, but then where do I put it, I already have to many trucks, My garage is so packed with sh*t I cant even walk thru it... The list of sorry excuses goes on.

Heck, maybe the guy that bought it is a board member here, or he'll catch the bug and re-do it? Or double his money in a week? I hope not
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 C-20 View Post
I have one of those old Oscilloscopes (different Brand and just the scope, not an anylizer), It was in my families garage and my Father used it to do tune ups for years. (but I never got the Tach adapter for it, still searching for one.) You can get a massive amount of Engine information from them, it will diagnose, valve problems, ring issues, in addition to the 'lectical side of the ignition system. I use mine to tune my ’51 8N, I have a dozen folks with vintage motors who bring ‘em by for a scan from time to time. You just hook up to N0. 1 cylinder and let her go. These units were the very pinnacle of high tech in the ’60 and ’70 when our trucks were built.

Did you get the books with the diagrams to show you how to read the Oscilloscope output screens? If not PM me, I can scan you copies of the pages in my book and send them to you. Without the diagnostic screen-prints the output is just gobbledygook.
I did get a basic manual with it, and I have all my books from tech school still. At school I used thier old school scopes like this one a bit, and even the new didgital scopes I've used at work are basicly the same... Just need to be able to distinguish a bad scope pattern from a good one. But I'll keep it in mind if I need some good period cheat sheets, thanks.