The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
bad68bowtie
On the college boy budget...

Talking Heart Transplant

Well, it came a couple years later than I might have liked, but I finally got a new motor in my truck. By the time I pulled the old 305 that was in there it was blowing oil at the rate of about a quart every 60 miles or so. It was smoking so badly that as I was driving down the highway I could never tell if people were looking at me because of my truck in general, or just because of the enormous smoke cloud behind it .

A little background on my truck- I got this thing when I was 16 (I'm 20 now) and just for me it broke down on the way home when I bought it. Long story short is that I had to put a new crank in the 305, should have put a new motor in then...but I didn't...so here we are now. The truck has always been a pretty cool daily driver, but the wear and tear it has seen since I've gone off to college has started to take its toll.

Anyway, being in school makes funds a little tight but my dad helped me out in purchasing a 290 horse GM crate motor. I work at a full service gas station when I'm not in school so I had a window of opportunity to get this done this past week.

Here's the 305-

Here you can kind of see all the oil that was going EVERYWHERE-

And the 350 about ready to go in-

And going in-

Luckily for me I work with a master mechanic who knows GM stuff very well (and owns a '69 stepside) so this all went pretty quick. After we got the motor stabbed back in I drove it for a few days and then headed back to Athens, needless to say I've been very pleased with the motor. I haven't gotten into the throttle really but the thing runs like a sewing machine, not exactly something I could say for the boat anchor 305.

I'm really glad I got this done as I'd started to become increasingly frustrated with my truck and gave serious consideration to getting rid of it. Now it's actually fun to drive again. Of course the only problem now is I have to tackle the rest of it .

Finished product-
Old 11-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
powerline84
Greasemonkey

Re: Heart Transplant

I am going to be swapping my motor soon. Just curious...how long did this take you to do...actual work time? looks good by the way.
Jimmy

My Baby
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3113923
powerline84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Ni i i i i i ice...Can`t beat that fresh engine feelin`,huh?Put`s new life in the ole girl and everything else ain`t nothin` but a thing. It`ll get you through school now,that`s for sure.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-04-2008 at 07:38 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
nicolas72gmc

That looks awesome, I will be doing the same thing in a couple of months too. I will be pulling the tired 350 and dropping in a vortec and trans out of a 96 tahoe. That should come with some interesting problems to solve for my mechanic.

"Everyone has a plan, 'till they get punched in the mouth".........Mike Tyson

1968, GMC, SWB, Project
1972, GMC, LWB, Daily Driver, 383, headers, 2.5"/3" exhaust, 200r4, 3.5/5 ECE components.
1972, C/10, LWB, 350 vortec, th350
nicolas72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
70cst

Very nice bad68bowtie...you put the pedal to the metal and you will have to hang onto your hat.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
big_al_71

Having a shop and an experience mechanic makes life alot easier....Ask me how i know

Good Job!!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
'68 C-20

Nice to see this accomplishment from a young fellow. Kudos to your Dad as well, for supporting you in this project. This type of activity creates the experience that gains self-reliance (with a little help from your friends) that will see you through a lifetime.

Nice Job, now do you have any friends that do body work?
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
bad68bowtie
On the college boy budget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
I am going to be swapping my motor soon. Just curious...how long did this take you to do...actual work time? looks good by the way.
Jimmy
I think it was about 8 1/2 hours. Didn't keep real close tabs on it, but it was around in that neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
It`ll get you through school now,that`s for sure.
Yeah, makes me glad that I've held on to it. When I told a few friends of mine from high school a couple months ago that I was thinking of selling it, I was met with looks of terror with them telling me that I couldn't. The truck is pretty much synonymous with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 C-20
Nice to see this accomplishment from a young fellow. Kudos to your Dad as well, for supporting you in this project. This type of activity creates the experience that gains self-reliance (with a little help from your friends) that will see you through a lifetime.
As much grief as this thing has caused him I think my dad is finally starting to understand the whole hot rodding/truck thing. I actually enjoy going to car shows with him more than anyone else as he's cool with moving as slow as I do to take in all the details of each car . One day when I'm out of school I hope I can afford to pay him back with the vintage Porsche he's always wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 C-20
Nice Job, now do you have any friends that do body work?
Yeah no kidding, wish I did. If I knew someone who had a technique for preventing hail storms that would be alright too .

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I used to jokingly refer to my truck as "the Buzzard" because of all its faults, but now it's above that.