The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Gabeasorus

Emission exempt mods

Benjamin, my daily driver, is coming up on his last emissions test in Feb!! I was just curious, what kind of mods have you all done after the 25 year mark? Removing emissions, vacuum setup, etc. Just looking for fuel efficiency and a little bit of hp since I live near the freeway.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Emission exepmt mods

Headers, intake manifold, carb, exhaust, air cleaner. <<Engine mods

Overdrive transmission, new rear end gears, new wheels and tires. <<Drive train

Those are the basics. Also, you own a truck. If you wanted fuel economy you should have bought a civic...

Wait for the 25 year mark to pass and then drop in a crate motor. You can find them with 400+ hp with a warranty...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

A 700R4 transmission with 3.42 or 3.73 rear end gears will optimize gearing for the stock tire diameter.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Gabeasorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
Also, you own a truck. If you wanted fuel economy you should have bought a civic...
LOL! Well right now I get about 11.5 mpg i I just didn't wanna kill that. (but my saturn gets about 17 ) Now that I have somewhere to start. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Trust me, I'm working out a plan to dive into my motor soon, but living in California makes it especially hard to do anything.

If your truck came with a 350 it will make life alot easier. The 305 is much harder to draw power from (smog legal anyway).

You won't see huge gains by any means. The truck will sound better and run smoother. You might look into an upgraded ignition system as well.

I'm doing an intake manifold, headers, downpipes, carb, and custom intake setup along with a custom cover to hide most of the ugly stuff. All my parts are going to be raw or brushed aluminum. Maybe a chrome bit here and there, but nothing that grabs attention. I want my truck to say, "What did you do to it?" instead of, "Look what I did..."

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote