The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
shaggy357

New to board, not new to trucks, need Brakes

I found this board yesterday when searching for some parts for my 72. Wish I would have found it earlier this year before I sold my 69 step side. I would have rather it went to someone on the board.

Anyway, I have a 72 C/10 4x4 350/350. I haven't driven it in a few years so I took it out and cleaned on it a little. I went for my first ride in a long time and I could smell something. Stopped at local auto parts store and picked up new belts and air filter. Got home to install and found my left hub got hot. I dropped it off at a local mom/pop shop to check out the brakes for me. (faster than pulling out my compressor and all of my tools.) They feel it needs rotors, calipers, hoses on the front and drums/pads on the back. I checked local prices and now understand why they wanted $1300 to do a 4-corner brake job. I put on $221.00 in parts and two hours of my time to put on custom rotors and new pads on all 4 corners of my Acura. Why are Chevy parts so expensive??

OK, now to nitty gritty. Front rotors. Pull hub and press on new rotor, or just buy the whole assembly with rotor already pressed on the hub? Is there a detail instruction (with photos) on the internet that shows bearing assembly, packing, adjustment, hub intallation, etc? I am getting ready to move and all of my old manuals are buried somewhere in a 10x20 storage unit. If I am to do this, I will have to do myself to save some $$s. I want to get all of the brake parts, bearings, seals, etc so I can build the whole thing and be done. Do they still make rebuild kits for the calipers or do I need to buy new calipers also? Where is the best place to get good parts. Don't say NAPA because I wont go there. LMC trucks? others? I checked local yards and no one has anything better than what I already have.

Back drums and pads are no problem. I am worried about rebuilding the front disc brakes correctly. Any help will be appreciated. Please send me an email or reply below.

Steve
shaggy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

Re: New to board, not new to trucks, need Brakes

well...i cant say i have looked up how to do it before i think i just kinda grew up with it, but as for bearings and such get as much grease in as it will take and gust gently tap them in(star pattern) with a fat screwdriver if you dont have a press. and the brakes on my "75" front end i do have issues with the calipers locking up every couple of years and laying waste to my bearings so your not alone there.

i think if you just give yourself some time (and another vehicle while the truck is down) you will be able to figure it out just fine.

Dont Wrench down on that castle not and remember to replace the cotter pin

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
cdowns

drum brakes dont have pads they have shoes
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
shaggy357

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
drum brakes dont have pads they have shoes
yeah yeah, got me on my first post. Wanna hear a good one....my Acura has pads AND shoes on the back. The rotor is actually a rotor for the caliper brakes and a drum for the parking brake shoes. Different systems and different adjustments. I can do that but then have issues dealing with my old 72.

I just love that old truck. I have owned it for about 20 years. Has 190k on original 350. I have a 4 bolt block, bare heads, Edelbrock intake, Mallory ignition and most everything needed to put in a new powerplant, just haven't had the heart to change the looks under the hood. The hooker super comps look all rusty like the ramhorns so they don't count!!

Steve
shaggy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

to the board from Mid-MO!!!

By the way...

You'll learn that we LOVE pics!!!!!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Talking Re: New to board, not new to trucks, need Brakes

Front rotors on your 72 are 1 piece the hub does not seperate from the rotor, packing your bearings is not hard just messy and when you put the spindle nut on tighten it pretty tight spin the wheel a couple of times and then back off the nut and put your cotter pin back in!! Drums I just tear one side down at a time so if I needed to I could look at the other side to see how it goes back together.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote