The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
thesteppenwolf

updating alternator, ext to int

Oks, I am sure this has been hashed out before, I just can't find it on this site is all. I have a '71 small block, 4 x 4 I am trying to get up and keep running. I am attempting to move the alternator to the left side, instead of making all the external regulator leads to the opposite side, I want to just change it over to an internal regulator style. I have been getting so much conflicting information. I know it can't be hard, I think I have it now, but for some reason the battery shows weak at times. I had the battery tested two different places, it shows good. I have attempted to make it a one wired set up....oks guys, let get me out of this situation...I would appreciate it....
thesteppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
lytemup454

Re: updating alternator, ext to int

i had both my alt. and bat. checked twice and both checked out fine but the bat. kept dying on me while driving. Turns out ext alt. was puting out just enouf juice to pass but not enouf to compete with my small block. I went in and bought an internal alt. and haven't had to think about it since.
lytemup454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #3
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteppenwolf View Post
Oks, I am sure this has been hashed out before, I just can't find it on this site is all. I have a '71 small block, 4 x 4 I am trying to get up and keep running. I am attempting to move the alternator to the left side, instead of making all the external regulator leads to the opposite side, I want to just change it over to an internal regulator style. I have been getting so much conflicting information. I know it can't be hard, I think I have it now, but for some reason the battery shows weak at times. I had the battery tested two different places, it shows good. I have attempted to make it a one wired set up....oks guys, let get me out of this situation...I would appreciate it....
Hopefully, this will help a bit.
I did it; and the wiring part was about a 10 minute job after the alternator was installed.
You can get a replacement alternator plug at almost any auto supply for under $10 to sanitize the appearance.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Have you though about a one wire..? You can pick up one from napa for around 70/80 bucks....The ones i got from both trucks are in 90 and 120 amp models......Saves the factory harness, And i have had no issues with mine.......
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteppenwolf View Post
The alternator is originally on the left side of our trucks. (drivers side/street side). But I think you are wanting to move it to the right side (passenger side/curb side) by your description of not wanting to move the regulator.

When I bought my truck the PO had moved it over to the right side. He just extended the wires and left the regulator mounted in its original place.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-05-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
big_al_71

I changed mine to a 120 one wire set up to the right side of the motor. No issues and very simple....bought the plug at advanced auto, ran two wires and done.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Ace in the hole

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379
more good info here- http://www.alternatorparts.com/FAQ.htm
Ace in the hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
thesteppenwolf

Thank gus, it all helps.on the single wire from the parts store, does that still let my cluster ampmeter fuction properly?..yeas, the orginal alternator was on the left, then put it on the right....also, I want to install a tach, mainly for other people who might drive the truck and not be aware if it is in Hi or Lo range, not too long ago my son was driving the truck and smoked the 350 I had in, went I dug into it found that it was in Lo range, I am sure he was running at highway speed in Lo...the 350 must of likes that 6,000r's for a few miles..in the regards to the the tach install, it has HEI update..thanks, I appreciate all of the help
thesteppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote