The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
malexander44

Title question in Texas

Ok, so I'm about to prove my stupidity. I bought a 69 short step about a year and a half ago and just don't have the time or room for it right now(I'm working on my 63). So I'm going to sell it, the only problem is that I cannot find the title ANYWHERE. Now to make things worse, when I bought the truck, I never transferred the title into my name.

What are my options?

Thanks
Mark
malexander44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Re: Title question in Texas

You need to start a "Title Search". Just call or go down to the county courthouse and they can get you started.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
90\87Formula

Find the person you bought the truck from and get him/her to apply for a lost title.
Because you didn't transfer the truck into your name, legally it is not your truck, you're just storing it for the legal owner.
If you can't get a title, part it out.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90\87Formula View Post
Find the person you bought the truck from and get him/her to apply for a lost title.
There's nothing wrong with doing that but good luck getting someone else to do the leg work in a timely fashion when it isn't their problem. I still say start the title search yourself. Once the state finds the title in the PO's name, you shouldn't have a problem getting them to sign it over.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller 1970 View Post
You need to start a "Title Search". Just call or go down to the county courthouse and they can get you started.
It is only $2.30 for a title search, that is the first step no matter what you do. If you can locate the previous owner, they can apply for a lost title. Otherwise you have to apply for a bonded title. I recently bought a 1962 Comet S-22 from a salvage yard with no title for $750. I had a bill of sale from the yard. (Funny thing is, a salvage yard in Texas is not supposed to take a car without a title. They mentioned this at the "DMV" but didn't hold me up, luckily.) In Texas, you have to take whatever paper work you have to them, and in my case they gave me a letter of rejection. Then you have to get a bond to cover the value of the car. The bond is based on the NADA excellent resale value of the car, unless you get it appraised. The state will accept an appraisal from any Texas car dealer. The NADA value on this car was $17,500 (yea, right!) I know a local car dealer and gave him $50 in exchange for an appraisal for this car and a 57 Chevy pickup. I also bought with no title. (Both show to be appraised for $750.) All of the places I found charge $100 minimum for the bond. I then took the bond and application back to the "DMV" and paid $144 for a 5 yr antique registration (using original 1962 tags I got on EBAY) and tax, transfer fee, etc. For the truck, I paid $90 for the transfer fee and tax only. In Texas, it is important not to mention or fill out and part of the forms indicating the car is not operable, incomplete or does not have an engine as you then have to have a peace officer inspect the vehicle. IMO, it is also best to do several cars at a time, as it does not take much more time to do two or three cars than it does to do one. They gave me the receipt and said that I would get a bonded title in the mail in 3- 5 weeks. That was 3 wks ago, so the titles should be here soon. The bonded titles are transferable and stays as a bonded title for three yrs. After this I can apply for a regular title with no indication that it was bonded. The reason for the bond is in case the previous owner comes up saying the car was stolen, etc., even though the "DMV" check to see if it has been reported stolen before starting the process. The lady I talked to at the "DMV" said that there is almost no chance that a previous owner could make a claim, since it would have to have been reported stolen recently. RED TAPE!!![/QUOTE]
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90\87Formula View Post
Because you didn't transfer the truck into your name, legally it is not your truck, you're just storing it for the legal owner.
If you can't get a title, part it out.
I would not jump to the extreme of parting it out quite yet
Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

i think the dmv can make title im sure theres some title co out there
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
stope4

I think in Texas it's DPS, not DMV. Look on their website. There are forms you can fill out regarding lost titles. You don't necessarily need the old title. You may need a bill of sale from the previous owner.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

I bought a Blazer that was supposed to have a clear title . It turned out to be an Oklahoma title that was 3 owners old . I liked the truck and instead of walking away from the deal i used it as a bargaining tool . I paid the guy and got all the paper work he had ( kind of a gamble IMO ) . I had to locate the previous owner (title search) and send them a certified letter with a lien amount that they had 30 days to pay or forfiet the vehicle . Took the certified letter recipt and paperwork to the tax office after 30 days and no response and paid tax on the lien amount . There are title companies that handle these types of paperwork . It cost me around $150 + the taxes and tags .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Painter D

It's a longshot but this is what happened to me. I got my truck with title ,but the title had been signed by three different owners, but never transferred to any of their names. I went to the DPS ,and they explained the bonded title deal to me ,but it seemed like an enourmous hassle. Since I wasn't the original owner I couldn't file for lost title either. Fortunately the small dealership the truck was bought at was still open ,and was close to my house. I went there and explained my situation , and with some luck the owner took the title I had ,and wrote his dealer number ,or some number on it. In doing that he made it look like he repossessed it and resold it to me. Went back to the dps and the rest is history.

I'm not sure if this will help you in your situation or not, but if you can find out where the truck was bought originally maybe you could get lucky.

Like I said, it's a longshot.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
sameyrasmea72

1.Take the vin # to the DPS, they will look it up and fill out the paper work for you.

2.Take the paper work to the previous owner to sign.

3.Get a copy of his drivers license.

4.Take paper work and copy of license and get the truck registered in you mame with new title

5. BINGO

Done it several times.

Last edited by sameyrasmea72; 11-05-2008 at 10:04 PM.
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #12
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

With enough digging, you can find the info on the Texas state web sites and the forms. I still have a folder with forms and stuff, so let me know if you want me to dig for info.

I think it can be done as same says above.

Sell it w/o a title. Happens all the time, legal or not. If you got to the tax office, or DMV (two entities actually involved) don't tell them you bought the truck. Tell them you are buying it from someone who can't find the title and doesn't want to hassle with it. The get testy otherwise.

A bonded title is possible.

Mechanics lien if you know someone in the car business they can get it started.

You can go to the PO and get them to apply for the lost title.

A service such as Broadway Title.

A user on chevelles.com (http://www.chevelles.com) I think does the out of state paperwork for about $50. I could dig over there if you want. PM me and I'll search.

This is a common situation here and not that tough to work around, but there's some effort involved. I think the easiest would be the chevelles.com guy...

I did the bonded title on my Chevelle, and it was about 4-6 hours work total and maybe $150-$200 total for the bond, transfer fee, tax, etc. The title is clean after 3 years.

Don't give up!

Edit: Funny, I just noticed you're in Grapevine. Me too...

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 11-06-2008 at 12:01 AM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

This should help...

http://www.txdot.gov/services/vehicl...lost_title.htm
http://www.txdot.gov/services/vehicl...on/default.htm
http://search.dmv.org/dmv/texas/lost%20title
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stope4 View Post
I think in Texas it's DPS, not DMV. Look on their website. There are forms you can fill out regarding lost titles. You don't necessarily need the old title. You may need a bill of sale from the previous owner.
Actually, it is "TXDOT". That is why I was using quotes around "DMV".
Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy29267truck View Post
i think the dmv can make title im sure theres some title co out there
HUH? He is asking for help specific to Texas...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
1.Take the vin # to the DPS, they will look it up and fill out the paper work for you.

2.Take the paper work to the previous owner to sign.

3.Get a copy of his drivers license.

4.Take paper work and copy of license and get the truck registered in you mame with new title

5. BINGO

Done it several times.
We are making this too complicated. DO what he says above. it will work. I would have done this for the Comet, except I found out the previous owner was deceased.