The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
68c10owner

92 chevy seat in a 84

I picked up my seat today and I need to know the best way to fit it. My buddy said I need to modify it to use the original 84 tracks otherwise it will sit too high. Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 92 chevy seat in a 84

My buddy modified the factory tracks & bolted the later model seat to them vs. trying to modify the later model brackets to fit the floor-pan.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
My buddy modified the factory tracks & bolted the later model seat to them vs. trying to modify the later model brackets to fit the floor-pan.
sounds like your buddy and my buddy had the same idea.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
68c10owner

Does anyone know if the seat tracks are about the same width apart? I don`t have a welder at home so I`ll have to take my tracks off and weld them onto the seat at work. I need to do this quick because it`s going to be my only vehicle in a couple weeks.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
68c10owner

Ok guys. I tried mocking the seat up yesterday. I can make the 84 brackets work with the 92 seat but it`s going to take some fabbing. Part of the rear of the bracket can be welded to the seat frame, the other part needs to be cut off and moved back about a inch or so and then it can be welded up. For the front it looks like i need a piece of metal bent 90* and I can bolt it to the 92 front mounting hole and just weld the other end to the 84 tracks. I will also have to raise the front just a bit to keep the front of the seat from sitting on the trcks but it only needs about 1/8" and I can set the height when I make the front brackets. Also, the front of the 84 sliders need to be cut off so they don`t stick out past the seat.

I bolted the trcks to the floor and set the 92 seat on it and it fit pretty good. It`s a little off to the pass. side but I can`t do much about that but it`s only about a 1/4" or so so I`m not going to worrie about it. I also set it on the tracks as far back as it would go so there won`t be much room behind the seat if I keep it that way but it was comfortable. I could almost fully extend my arm to reach the steering wheel. It is definatly more comfortable and wil give me the extra room I need to fit the truck better.