The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
blue_69
someday

i'm a weiner!!!!!!!

I installed a widsheild in my 69 today that i took out of my parts truck. I'm so happy it didnt crack man i was sweating bullets for a minute there. Thanks to the great info i found searching around this board earlier it was pretty straight foward. The last time i did one in one of these trucks i broke 2 and gave up after that. Time to have a beer to celebrate

jason

My 72 CST blazer build

72 CST Blazer 4x4
67 2wd swb ( project onion crate )
86 4x4 lwb plow truck
40 x 60 foot barn to work on all this stuff
blue_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
gmc383

info

I just pulled a rear window out of a parts truck for my 70 today. Any advice you can pass on for my installation. thanks
gmc383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:42 PM   #3
casey

I got a glass shop to do mine, they don't charge alot to stop by and install, me and glass don't mix, I've f@#$#k to many good peices of glass
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:20 AM   #4
blue_69
someday

Well i would say if you are putting in a new windsheild have a pro do it. If you are putting in an old one like i was and dont mind taking the risk of breaking it and then paying for a new one and paying a pro do it then give it a try. Heres the info that was most helpfull but do a search of the messageboard and you will find loads of other info.

junkyardjohn wrote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OH IT'S NOT THAT TOUGH -- FIRST OF ALL,LOOK OVER YOUR WINDSHIELD LIP & MAKE SURE IT'S FLAT,EVEN (INNER SKIN TO OUTER SKIN) & NO SHARP BURRS OR EDGES THAT WILL CUT YOUR GASKET) WORK IT OVER WITH A DIE GRINDER IF NESSESARY,IF YOU POP FOR A GOOD GASKET, LIKE ONE FROM SOFT SEAL, IT'LL GO ALOT EASYER (YOU WON'T BE SORRY ABOUT THE FEW EXTRA BUCKS) FIRST PUT THE GASKET ON THE WINDSHIELD, (#2) PUT THE STAINLESS TRIM IN THE GASKET,(#3) SRAY SILICONE IN THE WINDSHIELD GROOVE OF THE GASKET,(#4) PUT 1" MASKING TAPE, IN ABOUT 12 SPOTS, ABOUT 6" LONG, HOLDING THE GASKET WITH THE TRIM ALREADY INSTALLED TO THE WINDSHEILD,(#5) PUT 3/16" OR 1/4" ROPE AROUND THE WINDSHEILD LIP GROOVE IN THE GASKET,STARTING AT THE BOTTOM CENTER & LEAVING ABOUT 18 " TAG ENDS STICKING OUT IN THE BOTTOM MIDDLE.(#6) YOU & A HELPER SET THE BOTTOM OF THE GASKET ON THE LIP, & PUT THE WINDSHEILD IN POSITION.(#7) GENTLY PULL THE ROPE THRU, AS YOUR HELPER PUSHES,& SLAPS WITH AN OPEN PALM OF HAND, FROM THE OUTSIDE,(#8) A SMALL HOOK REALLY HELPS AT THIS POINT TO HELP PULL THE GASKET INTO PLACE, PULL THE ROPE ALL THE WAY AROUND.(#9) WITH THE GASKET & W/S FULLY INSTALLED, UNDO THE TAPE & PULL IT THRU THE GASKET TO CAB SEAL, (IT'LL COME OUT) LET IT SET IN THE SUN ALL DAY FOR THE GASKET TO SETTLE IN. IF DONE PROPERLY, IT WONT LEAK SO YOU WONT NEED ANY SEALANT. IF YOU RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS, START OVER. NOT THAT TOUGH.

My 72 CST blazer build

72 CST Blazer 4x4
67 2wd swb ( project onion crate )
86 4x4 lwb plow truck
40 x 60 foot barn to work on all this stuff
blue_69 is offline   Reply With Quote