The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #26
jblucolar63

Re: Emission test

I think it all might depend on who you talk to. The reason I went with Hagerty is because I was allowed to drive my Blazer, yes it is limited but I can drive it to shows or just cruise on the weekend and I know for a fact that in my policy it says that driving to work once in a while is allowed.

Now, with that being said they do not ask for mileage so they really have no idea of how much you are driving it. Also depending on the ins. company to be classified a classic it has to be in stock condition or restored to it.

And also you ins. agent is wrong in saying that they have nothing to do with the registration, they have to send in the information to the DMV in order for them to allow the emission exempt status.

I will get on later today after I get off work. Probably around 6:30 or so and have my policy out and we can get together on here or phone to answer questions if you still have them.

By the way this is on a 1981 2wd Blazer.
jblucolar63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #27
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

thanks... i am going to try to talk (in more detail) to my friend that has a truck just like mine & see if he can give me more specifics. i will call hagerty as well & see what they say... thanks for your time & i may give ya a pm if i need some more input, i dont want to be a bother.. lol

thanks again.....

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #28
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Eddie: In California, especially the metro Los Angeles area, passing the smog test can be a real bear. The visual/functional check encompasses the PVC, Cat(s), EGR visual and functional, Sensor Wiring, Fuel Cap(s) visual and functional, Fuel EVAP, Thermostatic Air Cleaner, Air Injection, Spark Controls, Vacuum Lines, Timing, Fuel Evaporative Controls, O2 Sensor, Carb/FI, Liquid Fuel Leaks, Sys. Malfunction Light(s), and any other components. Then on to a roller and emissions are tested at 15 mph and 25 mph. Levels measured are NOX, CO, and HC. My Big 10 came with one Cat and dual exhaust. I switched to two Cats, which is technically illegal, but it has always passed the visual/functional part of the test. So far....
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #29
Dave Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
Eddie: In California, especially the metro Los Angeles area, passing the smog test can be a real bear. The visual/functional check encompasses the PVC, Cat(s), EGR visual and functional, Sensor Wiring, Fuel Cap(s) visual and functional, Fuel EVAP, Thermostatic Air Cleaner, Air Injection, Spark Controls, Vacuum Lines, Timing, Fuel Evaporative Controls, O2 Sensor, Carb/FI, Liquid Fuel Leaks, Sys. Malfunction Light(s), and any other components. Then on to a roller and emissions are tested at 15 mph and 25 mph. Levels measured are NOX, CO, and HC. My Big 10 came with one Cat and dual exhaust. I switched to two Cats, which is technically illegal, but it has always passed the visual/functional part of the test. So far....
Yup, it's major feat to get our older vehicles passed emmisions testing here in SoCal. In fact, our so-called "lawmakers" in their zeal to please enviro-nuts actually RAISED the emmision standards on older cars/trucks to the newer (less emmisions) model standards... in other words, the state is actively trying to get our old iron off the road---- completely.

I'm all for cleaner air and everything but 4yrs ago my carb rebuilder, who always got me thru smog testing, ended up having to put a cat on my old '77 C-20 (which it was never equiped with originally) because they told me that even if I put an entirely NEW engine and carb on the truck it still would not pass smog no matter how he tuned it... so if you guys in other parts of the US think you've got it so bad, you might wanna' smoke that info in your tail pipe. (yuk, yuk)
Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #30
thump16

No emissions in south GA. Just tag and ride
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #31
PHOENIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kay View Post
Yup, it's major feat to get our older vehicles passed emmisions testing here in SoCal. In fact, our so-called "lawmakers" in their zeal to please enviro-nuts actually RAISED the emmision standards on older cars/trucks to the newer (less emmisions) model standards... in other words, the state is actively trying to get our old iron off the road---- completely.

I'm all for cleaner air and everything but 4yrs ago my carb rebuilder, who always got me thru smog testing, ended up having to put a cat on my old '77 C-20 (which it was never equiped with originally) because they told me that even if I put an entirely NEW engine and carb on the truck it still would not pass smog no matter how he tuned it... so if you guys in other parts of the US think you've got it so bad, you might wanna' smoke that info in your tail pipe. (yuk, yuk)
Emissions laws are not the only thing f*cked up in CA. Time to leave and come to a state that still has some rights.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #32
Green77c10

in Portland we have to do a quick visual, in which if it had a cat from the factory it needs one, if not then no, and they put a sniffer on it at idle and 1000 rpms. its not too rough, still a pain in the a** and theyre trying to make it stricter. Pretty much the rest of oregon is no emissions, just tag and go.
Green77c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #33
73CheyenneSuper20

'75 and older is smog exempt in California, that's why I bought a '73, I'm tired of having to deal with smogging and all that's associated with it.
I bought on Sunday night, called my insurance people on Monday morning, went to AAA Friday morning, paid $217 and registration is good til 12/31/2009.
I recommend AAA for anything they'll do DMV related. It worth the membership fees just for that...
73CheyenneSuper20 is offline   Reply With Quote