The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
NORMSCOLORADO

Truck title problems

i have had the truck for 6 months and i bought it off a friend for 500 bucks and he lost the title..... and me being the inpatient **** that i am i started working on the truck and he said he would get me a title and well its been 6 months and i have had a 100 different excuses about paper work.... could you guys tell me what i need to do to get it? im getting really irritated and im about to pound his a$$ because this has gone too long......
NORMSCOLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
manimal

Re: Truck title problems

lein sale. Charge $10 a day for storage and if doesnt pay,the truck becomes YOURS. It's a win-win situation....for you.
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
1984 swb chevy

If you have some kind of reciept or bill of sale with the last owners name on it you can apply for a lost title. If you don't I'm not sure what you can do.
1984 swb chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
NORMSCOLORADO

bout all i have is a past title when it was registered in florida..... back in 1980.... but being in NY i was told that it would not qualify for whatever and the double ringer is that the old guy that owned it is dead which means i would need his death certificate....
Old 11-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMSCOLORADO View Post
bout all i have is a past title when it was registered in florida..... back in 1980.... but being in NY i was told that it would not qualify for whatever and the double ringer is that the old guy that owned it is dead which means i would need his death certificate....
Humm,if he's dead, he can't say that isn't his signature on the Bill of Sale.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Norm. Hello from a fellow resident of "the Peoples republic of NY". I would call motor vehicle and ask them what you need to get the title in your name. Tell them you have an old title from FL. I just put a vehicle on the road for my GF that came from VA without any trouble. For once DMV was actually very helpful which surprised the crap out of me. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

when you call NY DMV you should double check your information by calling back and asking again... They send some of their call center work to prisons and they dont always give you the right answer.. You live upstate and ive found the clerks in DMV up there are alot better and more understanding than the incompetents they have in NYC who are just bureaucratic drones with an IQ of 6 or less, so that is a plus... A quick solution would be to have a mechanic file a lein on it for you and get title that way, and there are title companies that can help for usually several hundred dollars.. Did your friend actually have a title in his name at one point?
and by the way where is Jay NY?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

If you know someone in Michigan, and it isnt stolen, doesnt have a lien on it, you can get a Michigan title in about a week. You can register it within a couple hours and the title shows up in the mail.

Just saying.

I found out because I asked them how to get a title for an old car that is going to be rebuilt, there is a value limit but I doubt a square body would be higher than that.

If you cant get it done any other way, send me a PM, I know someone who can help.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
kevinr1970

Is the title in your friends name?
Here in WA, if you both go to the licensing dept. and the title is in his name he just signs the release and you put it straight into your name.
No "paper" title needed.
If its not in his name then good luck.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
suicide 63

I found this link on the net with some good feedback ,it just might be the easist option
http://www.titlesunlimited.net/
suicide 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
NORMSCOLORADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Norm. Hello from a fellow resident of "the Peoples republic of NY". I would call motor vehicle and ask them what you need to get the title in your name. Tell them you have an old title from FL. I just put a vehicle on the road for my GF that came from VA without any trouble. For once DMV was actually very helpful which surprised the crap out of me. jim
ok that is an option and ill try that i have a bill of sale and the fl title so maybe they will do this! thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Did your friend actually have a title in his name at one point?
and by the way where is Jay NY?
that i dont know and Jay in bout 20 mins SE of Lake Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455 View Post
If you know someone in Michigan, and it isnt stolen, doesnt have a lien on it, you can get a Michigan title in about a week. You can register it within a couple hours and the title shows up in the mail.

Just saying.

I found out because I asked them how to get a title for an old car that is going to be rebuilt, there is a value limit but I doubt a square body would be higher than that.

If you cant get it done any other way, send me a PM, I know someone who can help.
ill let you know and see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide 63 View Post
I found this link on the net with some good feedback ,it just might be the easist option
http://www.titlesunlimited.net/

thanks ill def check in to this

Id like to thank all of you guys for the help and hopefully this thing will be on the road before snow fly....
Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Google is your friend...

Try keywords like: New York lost title

That should get you close enough to find info for your state.

http://www.nysdmv.com/regtitle.htm
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

Since you know the titled owner of the truck, get the form online for a certified copy of title, or what most people refer to as a "lost title" form. Fill out the form, have him sign it, send a copy of his DL, plus the fee, and have it mailed to your address. Once it arrives have him sign the title, have him sign the title transfer/bill of sale form, and go to your DMV/tax assessor collector and have it transferred.

71 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed Stepside
81 GMC 1500 Sierra Classic Long Bed
71Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

It varies so much from state to state the only way to really find out how your state will do it is to go ask them. Some states you cant get a title for an old car no matter what you try, they assume its stolen, others its a simple thing to give them the VIN then they check it, if its clean you get a title. The rest are between those two extremes.

I was mildly and pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it is to title a vehicle here in Michigan, compared to South Carolina where I was stationed for 5 years. If you scratch build a car or truck, or cobble one together from a bunch of different vehicles, Michigan makes it easy. The peoples republic of California is a bit different, as is New Jersey, they seem to be a bit rough on stuff like that.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
whiskeydented

What year is the truck? In Connecticut you don't need a title if it's over 20 years old, just a bill of sale.
whiskeydented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #16
NORMSCOLORADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455 View Post
It varies so much from state to state the only way to really find out how your state will do it is to go ask them. Some states you cant get a title for an old car no matter what you try, they assume its stolen, others its a simple thing to give them the VIN then they check it, if its clean you get a title. The rest are between those two extremes.

I was mildly and pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it is to title a vehicle here in Michigan, compared to South Carolina where I was stationed for 5 years. If you scratch build a car or truck, or cobble one together from a bunch of different vehicles, Michigan makes it easy. The peoples republic of California is a bit different, as is New Jersey, they seem to be a bit rough on stuff like that.
same stuff in ny...... no junk yard relics

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeydented View Post
What year is the truck? In Connecticut you don't need a title if it's over 20 years old, just a bill of sale.
its a 76 C-10 CD