The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Dieselmech52

Stepside Question

Hello, I have a 76 C10 stepside and Im in need of a filler hose that runs from the gas cap to the tank. I dont think you can buy this hose anymore so Im looking for some ideas on what to use. I was using some clear tubing I got from lowes but its not flexible enough and kinks real bad. Now when I fill up, I have to remove the hose from the tank and put the fuel gun in the tank. Any Ideas?
Dieselmech52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Stepside Question

first id try our site vendors... then if all else fails id go to a hose or hydraulic line supply store as they sell hose rated for fuel line ( even tractor supply co if youre in their area).. The line MUST be rated for gas or it will eat apart and leak.... ..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
chrismoore701

I just found this in my new catalog I got yesterday. check this out.

http://www.classicparts.com/Gas-Tanks/products/354/2/0

Chris
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb Re: Stepside Question

The hoses classic parts offers are for a fleety and not a stepper i checked LMC truck and all they offer is the same thing but you can call them at 1800-562-8782 and ask if they have the hose for the stepper bed.

You could also go to a junk yard but it's very rare to find one there or you may check with NAPA they carry alot of odd stuff no one else has.

Good luck.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
chrismoore701

This is a little depressing considering I watched my dad cut both of my hoses off of my stepper when we pulled the bed off. I have dual tanks, and before I could say anything the knife was already in the hose. Hopefully we can figure something out. I do know they make a coil that slips into or over a hose so when you bend the hose it will not crimp and should stay bent, check our auto parts store
Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
firedrag79

If you still have the hose pieces that were cut off you could take them up to a good parts store and see if they have anything close. When I switched beds (door to hole) I didn't have the correct parts so I made a custom setup and needed a custom hose. I was able to find a fuel filler hose at Napa that worked great after I made it the correct length. Pay attention to diameter, bend angle and make sure its plenty long. I'm sure you can find one that will work.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
chrismoore701

good information. I did keep the old hoses for just in case. thanks

Chris
Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
2bits

Remember the "rated for fuel" thing. I actually have the same thing going on but my configuration doesn't exist (as usual). I have a 79 stepside bed with the blazer tank conversion (in the rear between the frame rails), and I want to use the factory gas filler.

Anyone see any problem with using the factory replacement rubber hoses for the tank and the filler, and using a galvanized exhaust pipe section from the auto parts store to travel the extra lenth in the middle? I figure the tank is galvanized, so if the pipe is then it might be ok...
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
Anyone see any problem with using the factory replacement rubber hoses for the tank and the filler, and using a galvanized exhaust pipe section from the auto parts store to travel the extra lenth in the middle? I figure the tank is galvanized, so if the pipe is then it might be ok...
That's kind of what I was thinking. You could take it a step further and use mandrel bent tubing and straight sections of hose for the end connections.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
2bits

ahhh I see, I have friends at an exhaust shop who would help, good idea! I just need to get the hoses and tank bolted in, then head up there and say make em connect! My only issue is the factory hoses are so expensive!
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Mudder

Most parts stores here carry different sizes of fuel hoses. They actually look like they have a tape wrapped around them and they have a very hard spring made into them to keep them from kinking. It is the larger hose.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mudder; 10-10-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
edge

Go get a $9.00 radiator hose. I have had them on my stepside for twenty + years. My gas tank had so much rust in it../it clogged up the fuel filter last year and I put on a plastic tank & I went right back on with the same ole radiator hoses. Nothing at all wrong them. I know they are not"fuel rated"....and I'm VERY picky about my stuff like most of us are about our trucks.
go for it! good luck!
edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #13
manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
Go get a $9.00 radiator hose. I have had them on my stepside for twenty + years. My gas tank had so much rust in it../it clogged up the fuel filter last year and I put on a plastic tank & I went right back on with the same ole radiator hoses. Nothing at all wrong them. I know they are not"fuel rated"....and I'm VERY picky about my stuff like most of us are about our trucks.
go for it! good luck!
Sorry my friend,but I dont recommend this AT ALL! I would keep checking with ALL the vendors,or like stated above,use small straight pieces with mandrel bent exhaust tubing for the 90. Good Luck.
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
Dave Kay

Myself, I wouldn't go with just any old hose here and I say that because I had a problem like yours--- filler hose tore-up and no stock replacement available.

What I did was go to junk yards and scour up something close that I could adapt but what I have in there right now ('77 longbed stepper) does not fill properly and I have to constantly hold the gas pump nozzle in a certain position or it keeps shutting off. (backing up)

Check out this guys site, I've dealt with them personally and they are really helpful--- http://www.greaseworks.org/index.php ---

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
2bits

I had the backing up problem on all of my 73-79 stepsides. There must be some kind of design thing there Oreilly has flexible fuel hose for $30 for a 3 foot section.
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
Mudder

The filler tube has to be vented.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #17
Dave Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
I had the backing up problem on all of my 73-79 stepsides. There must be some kind of design thing there Oreilly has flexible fuel hose for $30 for a 3 foot section.
Ummm... Oreilly who? Ten bucks a foot doesn't scare me just wondering if you have a full company name I can search and does it solve the problem...

And to add to the stepper filling problems: I just discovered after getting my '86 on the road recently that it too has a backing up thing going on as well... wondering if maybe it's those new-fangled (won't let you top off type) pump nozzles that are the problem.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #18
Dave Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
The filler tube has to be vented.
Oh yes and by the way--- vented, vented, vented for sure--- bone stock tank & filler setup but it still spits back...
Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 AM   #19
2bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kay View Post
Ummm... Oreilly who? Ten bucks a foot doesn't scare me just wondering if you have a full company name I can search and does it solve the problem...

And to add to the stepper filling problems: I just discovered after getting my '86 on the road recently that it too has a backing up thing going on as well... wondering if maybe it's those new-fangled (won't let you top off type) pump nozzles that are the problem.
Oreilly Auto Parts... try Google, should be the first result. Maybe a southern thing, but try your local auto parts store.

It would address the question posted by Dieselmech52 in this post. I was simply complaining about the stepside filling issue myself too. I am doing a Blazer tank in mine and don't have saddle tanks in the 71.
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #20
Mudder

Actually They are from the Midwest. (Springfield MO). These gas hoses should be carried by about anyone. I know they are around here. The are usu sally in about 3 ft lengths and several different sizes. Oh and they have a very hard wire (spring) in them that keeps them from collapsing. Wait until you try to cut the little sucker. As in the pic it looks like it is wrapped.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mudder; 11-17-2008 at 08:33 AM.