The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Mister laugh

Brake lines.

#1 I am looking to go get some steel line this week so i can fix up the beater next weekend, and i have a question. What length of line would i need to get from the master to the passenger rear? I believe the line is 3/16" any one care to correct me.

#2 I think my master cylinder may be on it's way out, it is the older style metal one. I have one of the newer style plastic reservoir ones lying around is this a worth upgrade to make while I'm doing the work/bleeding any way? A downgrade? Will it even work on the hydro booster?

As always thanks

Matt
Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Brake lines.

Anyone?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
67mater

my 67 K20 Drum/Drum manual brake used 1/4" hardlines, and 3 x 60" lines were very close. I just did this yesterday, but I should say that to avoid the exahust and having to bend 6 ways to match the engine craddle (which I did for my front line), I took my rear line down the driver's side until the cross rail at the front of the bed, then went over to the passenger side (wayWAY easier). If you had the old to match, though that might be ok.

Anyways, I'd say you need a total of 190" if you go my way. If you want to match across at the front, it took a 40" line to go from one side to the other, so add abot 24" to get up to MC (I think they only sell in 10" increments).

hope that helps!!

1967 K10
1967 Camaro

Last edited by 67mater; 11-17-2008 at 02:25 PM.
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
1984Silverado4x4

These trucks use 1/4 in steel line along the frame rail. When it splits at the rear axle to go to the two wheels its 3/16 steel line.

Dont know what length you need. I just bought a couple of pre flared lines and if I needed any more just went back to the parts store and got what length I thought I needed.

A little warning with the pre flared lines though.
I replaced all the brake lines front to back on a teachers truck and every single one of the connections leaked because the second flare was bad so I had to reflare the lines myself.

The other trucks that Ive done I just bought a roll of brake line and cut and flared it myself.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Mister laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Silverado4x4 View Post
These trucks use 1/4 in steel line along the frame rail. When it splits at the rear axle to go to the two wheels its 3/16 steel line.

Dont know what length you need. I just bought a couple of pre flared lines and if I needed any more just went back to the parts store and got what length I thought I needed.

A little warning with the pre flared lines though.
I replaced all the brake lines front to back on a teachers truck and every single one of the connections leaked because the second flare was bad so I had to reflare the lines myself.

The other trucks that Ive done I just bought a roll of brake line and cut and flared it myself.
I think I'm just going to end up buying 30-40 ft and have extra laying around at the end. The problem with this truck is at the moment it is parked at the cabin........ and the nearest parts store is 30-40 mins away each way and open VERY limited hours, so i don't have the luxury of running back and forth like i would with any other project of mine.

Thanks for the sizes though that helps alot

-Matt
Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote