The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
85_SWB

? for those with edelbrock performer carbs.

I just got an Edelbrock 1406 carb and have no clue as to how my throttle and tv cable are going to connect. The stud they sent with the carb has a round ball on the end that my throttle will not fit over and i do not see where the tv would hook up.

If someone has this setup and pics of it could you please post them or give me some input. I am at a stand still until i can figure this out. In the instructions it just says connect throttle and transmission linkages.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 06-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Re: ? for those with edelbrock performer carbs.

They should have also given you a little bag with a different kind of hookup. It'll be like a stud with a pin that goes through it.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
85_SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme80 View Post
They should have also given you a little bag with a different kind of hookup. It'll be like a stud with a pin that goes through it.
nope
thats what was in the bag was the ball end one

Last edited by 85_SWB; 06-05-2007 at 05:32 PM.
85_SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

Edelbrock carbs come with different hardware depending on which application you bought it for.....Ford/Chrysler or Chevy.
A local auto parts store most likely will have the pieces you need, if not, Summit and Jegs has 'em.....
I have some I'd send ya.....but you could probably find the parts quicker locally.....
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A

Last edited by 69BBsuburban; 06-05-2007 at 05:41 PM.
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
boatpuller

yup,i had to buy the correct pin with a little key.part # 8007 about 10 bucks.as far as the kickdown ,throttle bracket.you can buy edelbrock or others.i bought a spectre,it works,but it's flimsy.i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.when i think about i 'll spring for the edelbrock bracket.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
benoit454
Chris

They don't give them to you. You have to order the one that bolts on and has the washer and cotter pin with it. that's what I did I ordered mine from summit. As for the kickdown cable, same thing, gotta order the right part number from summit. They are like $5 each.

Originally I used a small bolt and nut to attach mine. I ran the bolt through the small hole in top under the big old hole in the throttle linkage on the carb, bolted it on with one nut to hold it on the carb, slide on the throttle cable, put a nut over that, but left it loose so the cable could move, then put on another nut to serve as a jam nut.

On the kickdown I did the same thing, but in the very bottom most hole in the carb linkage arm. This time I got a bolt and 2 nuts, I screwed the first nut on the bolt up until about 1/4 or less from the head of it, put that on the carb, then put a nut on the back side to bolt it onto the carb.

It was a rigged setup but worked fine for years. Autozone and advanced can order the same parts you need but they cost more, or did when I ordered mine, so I went to summit, them or jegs, probably best bet if you want the correct parts.

Here's the kickdown stud I bought and used on mine, it bolts to the same hole I mentioned on the rigged setup, the lowest hole on the side linkage.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

The throttle bracket I use that boatpuller talked about is this one, it uses only one carb mounting stud/bolt to hold it, crappy setup, but it works, just tends to turn around on you.

This is the throttle cable thing I bought to use it works great...

So you can spend like $20 bucks buying them and paying for shipping, or try autozone and advanced, just surf their sites with that part number, or take it to the store. Porbably have to use the last part only and not the edl part of it.

Or just get some small bolts/screws and nuts and do what I originally did.

On a final note I had problems with fuel perculation on mine. I got a 1405 I think, 600cfm vac. sec. man. choke. On hot refires, after it was up to temp and in the summer, I'd try to restart and it take awhile of cranking before it fire up, or you'd have to pump it or hold the gas down to get it going, and when it did it had rough, low idle and vacuum. I bought one of their heat insulator gaskets and that fixed the problem for good. No further problems after it. I heard alot of people say they had the same problem with them, geat soak out of the manifold into the aluminum carb body and boil the fuel out. They did same as me. or they used one of the phenolic spacers, the aluminum won't work, heat transfers right through them, or so I'm told.

Here they are in case you need one or want to look into it.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...s=false&N=+115

I use the first one, divided heat insulator.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Last edited by benoit454; 06-05-2007 at 08:09 PM.
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
85_SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
They don't give them to you. You have to order the one that bolts on and has the washer and cotter pin with it. that's what I did I ordered mine from summit. As for the kickdown cable, same thing, gotta order the right part number from summit. They are like $5 each.

Originally I used a small bolt and nut to attach mine. I ran the bolt through the small hole in top under the big old hole in the throttle linkage on the carb, bolted it on with one nut to hold it on the carb, slide on the throttle cable, put a nut over that, but left it loose so the cable could move, then put on another nut to serve as a jam nut.

On the kickdown I did the same thing, but in the very bottom most hole in the carb linkage arm. This time I got a bolt and 2 nuts, I screwed the first nut on the bolt up until about 1/4 or less from the head of it, put that on the carb, then put a nut on the back side to bolt it onto the carb.

It was a rigged setup but worked fine for years. Autozone and advanced can order the same parts you need but they cost more, or did when I ordered mine, so I went to summit, them or jegs, probably best bet if you want the correct parts.

Here's the kickdown stud I bought and used on mine, it bolts to the same hole I mentioned on the rigged setup, the lowest hole on the side linkage.

The throttle bracket I use that boatpuller talked about is this one, it uses only one carb mounting stud/bolt to hold it, crappy setup, but it works, just tends to turn around on you.

This is the throttle cable thing I bought to use it works great...

So you can spend like $20 bucks buying them and paying for shipping, or try autozone and advanced, just surf their sites with that part number, or take it to the store. Porbably have to use the last part only and not the edl part of it.

Or just get some small bolts/screws and nuts and do what I originally did.

On a final note I had problems with fuel perculation on mine. I got a 1405 I think, 600cfm vac. sec. man. choke. On hot refires, after it was up to temp and in the summer, I'd try to restart and it take awhile of cranking before it fire up, or you'd have to pump it or hold the gas down to get it going, and when it did it had rough, low idle and vacuum. I bought one of their heat insulator gaskets and that fixed the problem for good. No further problems after it. I heard alot of people say they had the same problem with them, geat soak out of the manifold into the aluminum carb body and boil the fuel out. They did same as me. or they used one of the phenolic spacers, the aluminum won't work, heat transfers right through them, or so I'm told.

Here they are in case you need one or want to look into it.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...s=false&N=+115

I use the first one, divided heat insulator.
thanks a lot man
that looks like everything i need

Last edited by 85_SWB; 06-05-2007 at 09:00 PM.
85_SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
benoit454
Chris

Glad to help man.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Haha, I got to thinking after I posted my last comment, then I remembered I had to buy the little piece with the cotter pin as a seperate part. Sorry about that!
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
voodoo427

edelbrock only includes the linkages for ford setups for some reason. most advanced,checkers,schucks,kragens carry the ones you need in stock.
voodoo427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
85_SWB

I ran into another problem.
The lip of my valve covers are hitting the intake runners.
Can i trim the lips?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #12
andrist1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
yup,i had to buy the correct pin with a little key.part # 8007 about 10 bucks.as far as the kickdown ,throttle bracket.you can buy edelbrock or others.i bought a spectre,it works,but it's flimsy.i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.when i think about i 'll spring for the edelbrock bracket.
Boatpuller,

The edelbrock brackets are not any better! I just went through this "bracket fiasco" a month back. After talking to three different edelbrock techs, and buying three different edelbrock brackets (they each recommended different ones) I ended up modifying my stock bracket in conjunction with parts from the edelbrocks. What was causing me problems was the cruise control hook up, but I didn't want to lose the function. Just me being OCD..............
andrist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_SWB View Post
I ran into another problem.
The lip of my valve covers are hitting the intake runners.
Can i trim the lips?
You could clearance 'em....or use a thicker gasket....
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A

Last edited by 69BBsuburban; 06-06-2007 at 03:13 PM.
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #14
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrist1 View Post
Boatpuller,

The edelbrock brackets are not any better! I just went through this "bracket fiasco" a month back. After talking to three different edelbrock techs, and buying three different edelbrock brackets (they each recommended different ones) I ended up modifying my stock bracket in conjunction with parts from the edelbrocks. What was causing me problems was the cruise control hook up, but I didn't want to lose the function. Just me being OCD..............
i don't have cruise.so, i don't have that worry.but......was the edelbrock bracket as flimsy as the 1 bolt spectre?

Last edited by boatpuller; 06-06-2007 at 09:00 PM.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
chevyjr73

i put a new 1406 an my 86 c-10 a few months ago and didn't have any problem with any of the linkage, everything i needed was included with the carb. only problem i had was the air cleaner hit the egr valve so i had to put a spacer on it and of course i didn't change the factory intake so i had to buy the adapter plate.
chevyjr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #16
benoit454
Chris

Oh yea I put the one on the 86 4x4 with it's stock intake and had to buy a 4 hole spread bore to square bore plate because the butterflies on bottom would'nt open fully.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #17
85_SWB

well i got here all together and if started on the first try
had to fix some fuel leaks by the filter but now its good. Timing just seems to be needing an adjustment. Other than that all is good.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 06-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #18
andrist1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
i don't have cruise.so, i don't have that worry.but......was the edelbrock bracket as flimsy as the 1 bolt spectre?
It wasn't that the edelbrock bracket was flimsy, it just didn't seem to line up very well with the carb, and in relationship to the cables it was short of reaching the carb by about an inch. I found out later that one of the brackets was for a vortex model so I am glad that the edelbrock "techs" have an idea of what they are trying to sell................... In the end, returned what I didn't need to summit and modified bracket #8030 to work.
andrist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #19
mirkwood

Tyler,

I'm having the same issues with my linkage. I have an 83' chevy pickup and just bought a 1406 edelbrock carb. Cant figure out how my linkage went do you have any pics of yours?

Thanks,

Tom
mirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #20
Square84
I don't think these pills work

i just used the stock bracket on the edelbrock intake and carb it lined up better than any aftermarket one did.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #21
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

www.jcwhitney.com has this bracket for $21.

Ditch those cable brackets. Use this one.

Edelbrock 8036 $25.95 from Summit