The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
60ratrod
yes, i do

which engine.....

so with oil being blown out the dip stick tube and pcv valve getting blown out the valve covers, i've decided that i am going to get another motor to put in my 72 until i can rebuild the generation correct 350 that it has in there right now. so which motor should i go with? i really wanna rebuild the 350 since it is pretty much the correct motor for my truck, but i don't really have the time seeing as how i am getting ready to ship off to sicily for the next 2 years and i would like to have the truck reliable enough so if the wife had to drive it she could. any opinions?
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: which engine.....

Does she have another vehicle to drive, without driving the truck? If so, I'd just leave the engine in-place. Blow-by is a fact of life, but I'd be sure that all of the possible issues are checked out, before you leave. Just be sure that she knows how to check the oil and how to add it to the crankcase. When my oldest son was in the learning mode, he assumed that pressure showing on the guage, meant that there was enough oil in the engine. When I'd ask about his oil, it was always "okay". I asked him to show me, and he pointed to the guage. I had him to pull the dipstick and he learned the right way to know. I must have been remiss in his training, huh?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

When are you leaving? I might be able to help you out.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
60ratrod
yes, i do

well i don't have to be in sicily until january 15th. so i'll prolly be leaving about a week before i have to be there. but if anyone has any ideas about what is going on, causing my pcv valve to blow out the valve cover and oil blowing out the dipstick tube please let me know otherwise i'm just gonna put a temporary motor in place until i can rebuild the 350. what ever you can do brad will be appreciated. she doesn't have a car just yet. i'm just trying to get the truck reliable enough so if she does have to drive the truck once she gets a car she won't have to worry about being stranded anywhere with my 72 is all

Last edited by 60ratrod; 11-16-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
60ratrod
yes, i do

ok so i think that i may have found my self a motor out of kent, wa on craigslist. i called the guy about it and he said that him and a buddy of his build the thing about 2 years ago and didn't really run it for longer than a few hours and its been sitting for about a year and a half. but the good thing is he's only asking $100 for it. he did say that he didn't know too much about it other than it has an aftermarket cam, so hmmmmm....... i think that i'll take a look at it tomorrow. here's the link:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/921950274.html

Last edited by 60ratrod; 11-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Is the PVC valve sucking strongly while the engine is running at idle ?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

Practically Any small block chevy engine from 63-85 will fit. I,d be leary of the one "him & his buddy built". The 305,s are good for something like that. They are sluggish but are plentiful & reasonably priced. The ideal thing if your finances will support it is get a new Goodwrench engine. About $1500 & you are through with it. While you have it out replace the hoses & look over thr engine mounts & belts real good.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ratrod View Post
so with oil being blown out the dip stick tube and pcv valve getting blown out the valve covers, i've decided that i am going to get another motor to put in my 72 until i can rebuild the generation correct 350 that it has in there right now. so which motor should i go with? i really wanna rebuild the 350 since it is pretty much the correct motor for my truck, but i don't really have the time seeing as how i am getting ready to ship off to sicily for the next 2 years and i would like to have the truck reliable enough so if the wife had to drive it she could. any opinions?
My boat motor was doing this and when I tore it down there was a hole in the top of a piston. I would really be leery of any home built engines unless you can hear it run.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
60ratrod
yes, i do

so when i go to look at the motor what kind of things should i look at? he said one of the valve covers is off and he said he would also pull the pan so i can look at the bottom end. besides looking for rust in the cylinders from the bottom, what else is there that i should be looking at? i think i'll take my compression tester with me and try hand turning the crank to get some kind of compression reading. is there something else i might not be thinking of?? i don't think this is one of those that i would be able to hear run at any point before installation. i know that any small block will fit. just tryin to see if anyone had any opinions as to which one that i should use for the time being. i don't wanna throw a crate in this truck since the block and heads date code are correct for this truck, which is a 1972 gmc half ton 4bbl 350/350 factory.

Last edited by 60ratrod; 11-17-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
60ratrod
yes, i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Is the PVC valve sucking strongly while the engine is running at idle ?
the pcv valve is sucking strong at idle.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ratrod View Post
so when i go to look at the motor what kind of things should i look at? he said one of the valve covers is off and he said he would also pull the pan so i can look at the bottom end. besides looking for rust in the cylinders from the bottom, what else is there that i should be looking at? i think i'll take my compression tester with me and try hand turning the crank to get some kind of compression reading. is there something else i might not be thinking of?? i don't think this is one of those that i would be able to hear run at any point before installation. i know that any small block will fit. just tryin to see if anyone had any opinions as to which one that i should use for the time being. i don't wanna throw a crate in this truck since the block and heads date code are correct for this truck, which is a 1972 gmc half ton 4bbl 350/350 factory.
There isn't a lot you can do if it can't be started. Make sure everything is clean no used parts and if he'll let you pull a couple bearing caps and look at the crankshaft. $100 is very cheap, in California the wreaking yards want that for a core block.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
70rs/ss

I was going to say a hundred for a 350 is a core charge, so as long as the rods are in there and not broken, buy it!! Drop it at a local machine shop get this kit:

http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=65

CHE-350MK
POWERHOUSE
Sale-Online Only
FREE RV CAM!!!
350 Chevy Master Kit (To '84)
$189.00
45 LB

Product Description
ONLINE ONLY SALE $189
(RV CAM UPGRADE NO ADDITIONAL COST)

-Piston Rings
-Rod Bearings
-Full Gasket Set
-Main Bearings
-Oil Pump
-3-Pc. Timing Set
-Cam Bearings
-Lifters
-New Stock Camshaft
-Freeze Plug Kit
-Flat Top 4 Valve Reliefs Cast Pistons

*Up to '84 (2-Pc. Seal/Carb.)

Kit includes stock replacement camshaft. To upgrade to the camshaft of your choice, simply choose "Upgrade Camshaft" in the drop down menu, then add a camshaft to your shopping cart. You will receive a $10 credit towards the kit price.

If you don't need the camshaft included in the kit, select "No Camshaft" option and you will receive a $10 credit.

IF YOU CHOOSE THE CAMSHAFT UPGRADE OPTION, PLEASE ENSURE YOU SELECT THE CAM BEFORE FINALIZING ORDER. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL DELAY YOUR ORDER.

And you'll have a new 350 for under a grand, spend the weekend swapping the new built motor for the "old" one and pack it away for a future build when you get back and the twins are old enough to help out!! BTW Brad is pretty handy, buy pizza and beer and he'll do the work for ya!! J/K!! A crate engine is another option, pull your motor, swap the accessories over and put the crate in and use it.

Do a compression check before you toss the OE motor, I replied in your PCV valve thread in the motor section with some ideas, I am not too sure a PCV valve can be forced out of the grommet with a breather in place (unless there is a lot of blow-by!) Good luck!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 11-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #13
60ratrod
yes, i do

ok so i went down to kent tonite to look at that motor that i found on craigslist. i didn't go as far as taking the pan of, mostly due to time constraints (gotta get up early in the morning). but i did pull off the valve covers, and i found no real rust that i could see. the oil that was pooled around the head bolts under the valve covers was real clean. so i at least turned the motor over by hand and every thing seemed real tight, like a mostly fresh motor will. but just to be on the safe side i think that i am going to check the torq's on the main caps, rod caps and heads just to make sure everything is tight. i think that i might also replace the cam in there with an edelbrock 2102. but i definitely will be swapping intakes though. but hey, i got what seems like a tight motor and a box of parts like a rochester q-jet, alternator, starter, ram horn exhaust manifolds and a power steering pump all for $100! i think that i got a decent deal. and there was still oil in the motor and the oil looked fairly clean too. so only time will tell with this motor. will check casting numbers later this week
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
60ratrod
yes, i do

ok so i managed to get some time to look at the casting numbers on the heads and the block before i had to go on watch. the block was 3970010 and the heads were 462624's. the date code i was having trouble deciphering which appeared to be J247 or J241 or V241 or V247, although i don't think that gm would have used V in its casting dates. but i could be wrong. also, what are all of those other marks that are near the casting numbers?? i know the GM stamp, but just to the left of that stamp was the number 40. what's that stand for? also what do those hour/pointer marks mean? i took some photos and will post those later.

Last edited by 60ratrod; 11-18-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
ripdog28

like 70 said. take it to a machine shop and have them go through it. even if you spend $500 on them looking it over and setting it up, you know that it will last and you wont have any surprises while gone.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
Tynee
I miss this truck.

I spentg a LOT of time looking for a motor before I bought the one I'm putting in my truck right now. I think you got a steal if you can find the engine, much less read the #'s off the block without having to wire brush the crap off. I'm not a big engine guru, but I'm told that the high nickel content of the blocks ending in 010 is a makes this a VERY desirable engine to build. Just a thought for later on down the road.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #17
60ratrod
yes, i do

i'm mostly curious if anyone can decode the date codes is all.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #18
lytemup454

I got these off of mortec

3970010....350...69-80...2 or 4
462624.....75-86...350/400......76cc chamber, 1.72/1.5, 1.94/1.5 or 2.02/1.6 valves

hope the motor works out for you
lytemup454 is offline   Reply With Quote