The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Tubular control arms?

I would like to drop my Blazer. I already have lower tubulars 2in drop control arms and a 1in spring...I was told by a local shop that tubulars are weak and can break. My understanding was that tubulars are in fact stronger, and have less flex than stock stamped...The shop I am dealing with suggest that I go with a 2 1/2 spindle with stock arms and a 3in spring...I would prefer to just put a upper tubular and a 3in spring...And as far as the rear drop goes. I would like to use a 6in spring and a 1in block, shock relocate kit, new panhard bar. This will yield a 5/7 drop for my 70 2wd blazer. The shop I am dealing with has a blazer with a 5.5 front drop using the oem control arms 2.5 spindles, 3in springs. At the rear they used a 6in spring with a 1in block...The shop claims that there are no clearance issues at all with his 71-72 blazer...The shop Blazer is running 18x10in rims in back w/4in bs I think, and 295-45 tires, in front are 18x8 w/275-40 rubber...The shop truck has a very nice stance, and nothing rubs...
I'm just trying to save a little money on parts and labor.
I can get an upper arm and 3in spring for about $400, as opposed to returning my old arm, adding spindles and springs...Whats the truth about tubular control arms, safe or unsafe, strong or weak, flex or not?
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: Tubular control arms?

If properly designed/built a tubular control arm has more advantages than a factory arm... strength included.

Whose tubular arms are you running? If they are quality components, there should be no need to replace them, UNLESS the 2" "drop arm" causes clearance problems. I have never been a fan of "dropped control arms".

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
If properly designed/built a tubular control arm has more advantages than a factory arm... strength included.

Whose tubular arms are you running? If they are quality components, there should be no need to replace them, UNLESS the 2" "drop arm" causes clearance problems. I have never been a fan of "dropped control arms".
I just spoke to a few suspension suppliers, and all say get rid of the dropped Chisholm arms, they pose a ground clearance danger...I totally have to agree. So I guess I found my answers...I'm getting the shop to do the spindle spring drop.
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Brad2thabone

Quote:
X. No Spamming or Advertising on ANY 67-72chevytrucks.com board, regards to product(s) your pushing, unless you are a paid advertiser. If you question that you should maybe be a paid advertiser, you probably should be. Contact an Administrator for more details on being a paid advertiser. This Applies to all who are selling parts, used or new on a regular basis purely for profit.
You can find out how to subscribe here. Best $25 you'll ever spend.

Last edited by Shane; 11-26-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: NO advertising by non-subscribing member.
Brad2thabone is offline   Reply With Quote