The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #26
Omnivec

Re: DMV Experiences

You guys should try California dmvs. I seem to have gone there enough to where they know my name. I also kind of like the DMV I treat it like a game seeing what loop holes I can use and I usually learn something new every time i go in there. A good idea is to get a copy of vehicle Rules and Regulations, I can usually go over the dmvs heads and get the manger involved. As for getting a inspection, in ca any peace officer can do it. Most salvage and car dealers have the power to inspect vehicles, they just need to be certified by the state. All the inspection is a form ( http://www.dmv.org/loading-page.php?...g%2Freg343.pdf ) for pretty much verifying Vin numbers. One more thing try using the LOW VALUE VEHICLE registration it can get you out of a lot of missing signatures but not a inspection.
79 rx7 Wide body 350 TPI t5 flat black(The interceptor)
64 comet mounted on a 93 Thunderbird chassis.
Omnivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
'68 C-20

I don't know if this will help you folks or not, but I have a friend who lives in Massachusetts, they are notoriously hard on folks who need a title and you need a title for everything.

I live in NH, we do not require a title on vehicles more than 15 years old, as a matter of fact the refuse to give you one unless you have a special circumstance, like you are selling through a public auction.

Any case, my friend buys an old vehicle now and again to fix up, play with and ultimately sell, Often they are derelicts and have no title. He gets them cheap that way. Big problem with a simple solution, he “sells” me the truck, I take the Bill of Sale to my town office and using the bill of sale I obtain plates (remember no title required, In NH a set of plates to an antique only cost about 18 dollars). When the hard plates come in the mail in a week or two, I “sell” him the truck by signing my registration over to him, (there is a place on the back of a NH Registration to use for a Bill of Sale, I have the Bill of Sale notarized indicating that all registration information is accurate. I have a half dozen family members or friends that are Notary Public’s. Upon receiving the plates and the notarized Bill of Sale/Registration Massachusetts is happy to issue a title to him.

Need a certain element of trust to pull this off but it works for us, and it seems to be legal, so you might want to check in states where you have friends who might help you out, and find out what your state will accept as proof of VIN.

I have actually considered running this service as a small business in the past….
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #28
WIDESIDE72

I want to be sure I understand you. You have a title signed by the previous owner, correct? Every state is different. I would not think that it would be so hard to transfer a title. Here in Texas, I do that quite often, probably several times a year. Now, not having a title is another matter. I recently bought a 1962 Comet S-22 from a salvage yard with no title for $750. I had a bill of sale from the yard. (Funny thing is, a salvage yard in Texas is not supposed to take a car without a title. They mentioned this at the "DMV" but didn't hold me up, luckily.) In Texas, you have to whatever paper work you have to them, and in my case they gave me a letter of rejection. Then you have to get a bond to cover the value of the car. The bond is based on the NADA excellent resale value of the car, unless you get it appraised. The state will accept an appraisal from any Texas car dealer. The NADA value on this car was $17,500 (yea, right!) I know a local car dealer and gave him $50 in exchange for an appraisal for this car and a 57 Chevy pickup. I also bought with no title. (Both show to be appraised for $750.) All of the places I found charge $100 minimum for the bond. I then took the bond and application back to the "DMV" and paid $144 for a 5 yr antique registration (using original 1962 tags I got on EBAY) and tax, transfer fee, etc. For the truck, I paid $90 for the transfer fee and tax only. In Texas, it is important not to mention or fill out and part of the forms indicating the car is not operable, incomplete or does not have an engine as you then have to have a peace officer inspect the vehicle. IMO, it is also best to do several cars at a time, as it does not take much more time to do two or three cars than it does to do one. They gave me the receipt and said that I would get a bonded title in the mail in 3- 5 weeks. That was 3 wks ago, so the titles should be here soon. The bonded titles are transferable and stays as a bnded title for three yrs. After this I can apply for a regular title with no indication that it was bonded. THe reason for the bond is in case the previous owner comes up saying the car was stolen, etc., even though the "DMV" check to see if it has been reported stolen before starting the process. The lady I talked to at the "DMV" said that there is almost no chance that a previous owner could make a claim, since it would have to have been reported stolen recently. RED TAPE!!!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #29
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the problem is, he is trying to move it from one state to another. The red tape that they have is reasonable... inspect the VIN against the title.
Being state workers with a union that says they don't have to do any more than there job description, so they don't let them climb onto the trailerto verify.
The last part is the only unreasonable part IMO.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #30
dmc1
"I'm Walking Deadman's Drive!"

Finally got title today! Now I can start project. I put the truck back together to make it look as complete as possible. I then took it to the DMV on the trailer and waited in line. When it was my turn I explained to the lady what I wanted and she and another DMV employee walked out to the parking lot and verified the VIN against the title I had from the previous owner. Went back inside and did paperwork, wrote them a check and left with new title. Sure was a lot of trouble to go through to get title but I have it now. Now all I have to do is take it back apart, put the front end back on another vehicle and get started. Thanks to all who commented and keep on the lookout for my build. When I start I'll post a build thread. Thanks again. DMC1
dmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #31
Painter D

Glad it worked out for you.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #32
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Congrats.....

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #33
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Damm Now I know how easy I have it here in California my Brother works at the DMV Office I just give him my paper work or have him fill it out for me and by the end of his shift wala I have a Tittle I just had him Change my name to the tittle on my Honda monday wich was under my Ex's name $15.00 later and no Smog or other fees ..............
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #34
schwoch1
Local Detroit diesel nut!

WOW, I guess I have it easy here in WIsconsin. Just had to get a WI title for my Vega that I bought when I lived in Arizona. Sent the proper form in to the state with the AZ title and 2 weeks later I had a WI title, didn't even have to deal with the DMV employees!!! I have found that sometimes here you call to the people in Madison(WI state capitol) at the DMV, explain what you are attempting to do and they tell you the proper way to go about it. I have gotten titles for cars with no titles, etc very easily here, as long as everything is on the up and up, no stolen/hot cars, etc!
I do have a small story though, when I lived in AZ, went to title my '90 Volvo 740 I bought as a beater. Went the an MVD authorized agent in the ghetto (they were the only ones open on Saturday afternoon) and I was the only english speaking person there I think. The lady inspected the title with a magnifying glass (no kidding) and found that the notary's printed expiration date did not match the date on the notary stamp. She refused to issue a title and threatened to call the police if I did not leave (I was a little unhappy, but not a total idiot). The next week, took the title to a MVD agent in a nice portion of town, I even pointed out the error, they said it was no big deal and issued me my title and plates, it was easy as pie!!! I guess it pays to stay in the nice portions of town!!!!
I am glad to see you got a title, you just got to play their games and in the end, you usualy win!!!

Mike
Old 11-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #35
60ratrod
yes, i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc1 View Post
What kind of experiences have you had with the DMV while trying to obtain a title? Here's mine: I bought a truck from a guy in pieces, literally pieces, boxes of them. The truck is completely disassembled, cab removed, bed, etc. Before I spend any money on the truck I wanted to get the truck in my name. When I went to the DMV and told them I only wanted a title so I could start the rebuild they told me they could not give me a title as the truck was in pieces. They told me that the truck would have to be assembled so they could verify the numbers. The first lady I spoke to even told me it had to have the original engine. I told her the original engine was long gone and that the VIN number was attached to the cab anyway. She said ok and told me I could contact an inspector with the state who would come to my residence and verify the VIN against the title I got from the person I bought the truck from. When I contacted them they told me the same thing about the truck had to be complete and that I had to bring it to the DMV so someone could verify the numbers. The lady even told me they would not climb on the trailer to look at number. I told her she would not have to climb on the trailer as the number was in the door jamb. Can you imagine the disgust I have at this point? I almost went home loaded up my junk and took it to the scrap yard. So now I'm spending my time to 'reassemble" the truck to make it look like it is a complete truck so I can go back and stand in line again, only to be sent away again probably. Any suggestions or just comments?
DMC1

kinda sounds like one of the jets that was transfered to my squadron just before i got to it. it came to us in tri-walls(big, thick cardboard boxes). sounds like a my first chevy erector set! that's what we called that jet for the longest time!
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote