The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #26
Ravynia

Talking Re: My 1974 Chevy Short Bed

Well, it's been months of little to nothing. We started out with such a bang, and then we fizzled and it's been all we can do to push towards the finish line. We had a 4 day weekend and could have spent 3 of those days working on my truck... but we didn't. Finally today we worked on her a bit, and it's amazing how much we almost got done today.

We almost got done with the wiring. My husband was working on the wiring today and well... it's a beautiful thing. We had to take the wiring harness from the '86 and put it in the '74, and we weren't sure everything was going to work right - but we have headlights, tail lights, turn signals, an open door buzzer, dash lights.... What's more, it tried to turn over! He says he has some stuff left to do on it though.

We almost got the rear window finished. I took off the '74's plastic framed sliding glass window and the rotten gasket. Then, with my husband's assistance verrrrrry carefully took my rear window out of the cab from the '86 and then installed it and the gasket from the '86 into the '74. The piping that goes around the gasket is old and brittle and won't got into the gasket though. Gonna have to go to Space Age and get more. My husband says it's not expensive.

We almost got the tail lights replaced. I noticed that the tail lights on the '74 were very dark, especially on the left side - so I decided to take them off and put the tail lights from the '86 on instead. When I took the old dark lenses off the '74 I discovered why, my exhaust had clearly been venting up into my tail light. The inside of the tail light is filthy and plastic housing inside was all melted. (good thing I'm changing the exhaust and already cut off the old one) I would have the tail lights changed out, but I've been pet sitting some dogs (it's what I do) and to be somewhere by 5 and had to stop what I doing. (dammit)

We almost got the carb installed. It's in place but none of the hoses or fuel lines or linkages are connected.

I also completed 2 tasks. I took off the front bumper (but it was supposed to be a start of removing the battered left front fender and installing a less damaged one) and I removed my corroded thru battery tray and replaced it with a new (used) battery tray that actually isn't in 2 pieces.

Last edited by Ravynia; 12-01-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Ravynia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #27
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Re: My 1974 Chevy Short Bed

How much did your battery tray cost?

I crushed mine a few weeks ago while deer hunting. Damn Irrigation ditches...
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #28
Ravynia

Re: My 1974 Chevy Short Bed

Cost me $20... got it thru some of my husband's off roading buddies
Ravynia is offline   Reply With Quote