The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
WIDESIDE72

What size bolts on engine frame stands?

I am helping a buddy swap a Ramjet 350 into his 68 short step. He had recently replaced the rubber motor mounts with urethane with the old engine in the truck. He told me that it was the hardest time he had ever had trying to get the bolts to line up and it took him all day. I could not figure out why. I have swapped several motors into mostly 72 trucks and it was never a big deal. When I went over to help him pull the motor, he already had the bolts out. When we got ready to stab the Ramjet in, I think I figured out what was up. The P.O. used 7/16" bolts in the frame brackets. I do not recall these being 7/16" diameter bolts. We used 3/8" diameter bolts and only had a little hassle with the passenger side lower, nothing major, about 2 minutes hold up. (Trying to put a 7/16" bolt into a 7/16" hole was the problem my buddy had the last time. Am I correct that the frame stands use 3/8" bolts?

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 12-01-2008 at 08:31 PM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Ram-Man

Re: What size bolts on engine frame stands?

The back of the block that the bellhousing bolts to is 3/8".
Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
BarryB

I'm not understanding the question. If your referring the the bolts that hold the stands to the frame and crossmember, they are 3/8 on mine. If you referring to the bolt that goes thru he stand into the motor mount. I am pretty sure that is 3/8. I use the stand and mounts from a newer truck so I have the shell style motor mounts. Broke to many of the original kind.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
weav1

they are 3/8 just put my motor and tranny in i did notice that the bolt that holds the mount to the stand was 7/16 on the driver side and 3/8 on pass if that helps
weav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by weav1 View Post
they are 3/8 just put my motor and tranny in i did notice that the bolt that holds the mount to the stand was 7/16 on the driver side and 3/8 on pass if that helps
Huh... I wonder why yours were different sizes. Different guys put different bolts in as it was going down the assembly line?

in any case the truck I am working on now has three 3/8" bolts holding the frame stands to the frame on each side. I am sure everyone here could see why using 7/16" bolts would make the job more difficult. BTW, to answer the other question above, the bolt that goes through the frame stand into the motor mount is 7/16". There is no way around this,as this thread is made into the mount. The frame stands are pass through and require a flat washer on one side, and a lock nut and nut on the other.)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I'm not understanding the question. If your referring the the bolts that hold the stands to the frame and crossmember, they are 3/8 on mine.
From my original post:

"The P.O. used 7/16" bolts in the frame brackets. I do not recall these being 7/16" diameter bolts...Am I correct that the frame stands use 3/8" bolts?"

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 12-02-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
The back of the block that the bellhousing bolts to is 3/8".

From my original post:"The P.O. used 7/16" bolts in the frame brackets. I do not recall these being 7/16" diameter bolts...Am I correct that the frame stands use 3/8" bolts?".
No question that the bellhousing uses 3/8" bolts, as the back of the block has six holes with 3/8" threads.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Ram-Man

I think we are all getting cornfused on this. You are correct the engine mount towers or frame stands or whatever they are called use 3 - 3/8" bolts to mount to the frame and crossmember. As for the motor mounts I have seen cheap China motor mounts that should have the 7/16" thread in them are not 7/16". Someone else also posted on this in the past. You end up stripping out the motor mount threads when you try to put a 7/16" bolt in it.