The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
asphaltburner

Frankentruck

Yo! Y'all!
FRANKENTRUCK is out in Galeton, CO for a complete brake rebuild by the only mechanic I trust, Bill Warren. I'm too pressed for time to get this final job done soon, and I need the truck to assume regular road duty before the Jan - Feb nastiness! He'll be able to tackle it on Wednesday.
Found the speedometer to be faulty and replaced it with the donor flatbed's '73 speedo and 18 tooth speedo gear,...now I'm about five miles an hour below actual speed. Fuel gauge still is pegged even after swapping to the '73 flatbed's gauge,...must be wiring, and I'll check that next. Rebuilt the instrument panel while doing the swap, and it looks so much nicer with the simple '73 speedo and fuel gauge!
Everything else is in perfect working order and the truck has very impressive power! A bit of bodywork, and then paint in the spring, and it'll be done. This has turned out to be SUCH a great truck!
Thanks to all that have been following my '78 3/4 ton 4x4 build using the ol' '73 flatbed donor. Todd.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
1956cameo

Re: Frankentruck

Been following your progress on Frankentruck. Just have to say that it is a very nice truck. My dad and I just re-did all the brakes in my 72 suburban and let me tell you that for the two of us it was quite a job. So unless you have someone to help you I say it is a good idea that you are having a mechanic do it.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

thats why when it came time to do some brake work on my 3/4 ton, I took it to a trusted shop... 1) because lack of tools and 2) didn't feel like learning (heavy duty) brakes quite yet

that is a nice build with frankentruck, keep up the good work and keep us posted
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
nutchevy

Its looking good,hofefully the weather stays good until it done.
nutchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
asphaltburner

Yo! Y'all!
As I said, FRANKENTRUCK is out in Galeton for brake overhaul. Got home after dropping it off, and my computer would not boot.
Lost all my pics of the truck (everything in the Documents and Settings folder!),...BUT, I jumped back on the internet, using this era 2000 Dell Optiplex, and downloaded the 642x482 pics that the truck forum has saved in the FRANKENTRUCK thread! Saved over thirty pics.
Custom built, and ordered, a new Dell Inspiron 530 today, and I'll be saving all pics to my 160Gb external HD on a regular basis from now on. Burned all the retrieved pics to CD.
Thanks to this forum for a tremendous amount of help over the period that I viewed,and the past months that I've been registered and have been posting! I'm gonna need to contribute some $$ for this one! Todd.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
asphaltburner

Yo! FRANKENTRUCK is done enough that I felt I could create a signature. Sure hope it shows up with this post, lets see. Todd.