The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Appleton spotlights?

This may be one of those questions that ends up unanswered but here goes...has anyone ever fitted Appleton Spotlights to a 67/72 Truck? if so please post pics. It's a custom look i've always loved and have been wondering if it would work on my truck, or would it just look outa place and kinda stupid?

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Appleton spotlights?

they were common dealer installed and aftermarket installed items back in the day.
I have a close up of the one on this truck (longhorn jeff's) but I am unable tolocate it on my hard drive
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
GOPAPA

Heres my 2 cents on spotlights ..unless you are putting them on a truck that is to look like a utility truck then I say naaaa ! Spot lights went away in the Late 50ies to early 60ies I feel .
I owned a 57 Chevy Hard top back in 63 and it had one becasue the PO owned a rock crusher and they wanted to spot light the place to see if any thing was wrong at nights ,but hardly any one else besides utility, police, and light companies used them .

So when I think back I cannot remember ever seeing them on any 67 or newer Chevy trucks as daily drivers .... so IMO it would not look like they belonged.. Papa

I must say though,,I had a lot of fun with the spot light when sneeking up on others in lovers lane and spot lighting them.. LOL

Last edited by GOPAPA; 12-01-2008 at 09:02 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

There ya go! Thanks Andy. Here is one I tracked down and like yours it shows proper dealer installed Appletons.

But I want to see if those dummy spotlights that mount to the cowl that all the custom guys and led sleders have will look good on our trucks.

Like this........

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Last edited by eightbanger; 12-01-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I knew I had a photo somewhere...
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
This may be one of those questions that ends up unanswered but here goes...has anyone ever fitted Appleton Spotlights to a 67/72 Truck? if so please post pics. It's a custom look i've always loved and have been wondering if it would work on my truck, or would it just look outa place and kinda stupid?
I know I said my 2 cents but I meant 3 cents I guess .. LOL Around these parts I believe that they are out lawed and if you get caught using them it's a fine . Just saying this in case they might be out lawed in your area ???

Maybe others will chime in with some knowledge of ,,,is this is a local law or state wide law or every state law ,, Or no law at all and I got "warned "and not ticketed for using mine some 40 years ago.. LOL papa
Old 12-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I knew I had a photo somewhere...
Thanks again Andy, your hard drive must be a wonderfull catalogue of pics on these trucks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I know I said my 2 cents but I meant 3 cents I guess .. LOL Around these parts I believe that they are out lawed and if you get caught using them it's a fine . Just saying this in case they might be out lawed in your area ???
Maybe others will chime in with some knowledge of ,,,is this is a local law or state wide law or every state law ,, Or no law at all and I got "warned "and not ticketed for using mine some 40 years ago.. LOL papa
They are ilegal to have as working lights here also....but the dummy spots are allowed as they are designed as non functioning.

Here is a link to a guy on the Bay selling the ones i'm thinking about fitting, they are usually fitted on the cowl bottom left and right of the windshield. Like the 58 Olds in the pic above.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dummy...Q5fAccessories

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 12-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
GOPAPA

I have seen them before ,,in pitures that is and you know what ? If you like em then I like em, for you and who ever else likes them . and I repeat What has been said before many times here ,,At least you are keeping alive one the greatest looking trucks ever built for all to appreciate for generations to come.
And when you get em and attached ,,put pictures of them up for us to see and who knows , you might change my mind about them.. sorta.. LOL papa Go for it friend..
Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I don't know about fake ones. Your looking at the possibility of leaks for a non-functioning fashion statement. I vote no.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

I'll try to get a pick of my truck this weekend. I just finalized my spotlight install a month ago. I restored a Unity S6 and I personally like the utilitarian look, especially since my truck is a no frills "county lineline" looking rig.

the hardest part was drilling that 1/2" hole through the A pillar!

and Sin is right, it could open the truck up to rust issues if not installed and gasketed well.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 12-03-2008 at 09:22 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote