The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
g.g.63

63 chevy fleetside c-10

I am about to replace the cracked bel housing and I want 2 do it with the least dissection possible. step by step, please guide me... how do i do it without taking tranny completely out of comprehension...FYI 3 speed column shift linkage preservation is priority concern.
thank you --I have 6 hours before project start and 8 hours max to finish after that...and Im a girl so Please respond asap ---gratsi
g.g.63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: 63 chevy fleetside c-10

in order for the belhousing to come out and clear the input shaft/flywheel pressure plate, either the motor, or tranny will have to be removed.
my suggestion:
the tranny will be the easier of the 2 to remove.
you will have to take off the linkage, it should just unbolt from the side of the tranny, and each one should wiggle/pry off. mark each one with a piece of duct tape, or masking tape (1,2,3 or a,b,c).
take a picture so that you can put it back on the way it came off, or if no camera sketch it out on a piece of paper...
after that pull the drive line unbolt the tranny ,pull it out of the way, and switch out your bel housing.
I think the bel housing is also the rear motor mount, support the motor with a jack remove the rear mounts from the housing and frame, then let the motor down a little in the back to access the bel housing bolts to the motor.
you will also have to deal with the clutch fork/ throwout bearing(attached to the bel housing)
the only other way is to pull the motor out far enough to clear the input shaft of the tranny, and the clutch pressure plate probably 14 inches forward to clear those, and with that you would have to deal with radiator, exhaust,carb linkage ,heater hoses, starter wiring, ect... much more work..
good luck!
hopefully someone in your area could lend a hand, or maybe present more precise instructions.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: 63 chevy fleetside c-10

g.g.63:

First and foremost, welcome to the forums from Kansas City, KS.

If the crack in the bell housing is on the top, it can be accessed from the top, by removing the tranny hump cover. If it is accessible, it may be able to be repaired with the bell housing in place depending on the location and extent of the crack. My father is a retired A&P mechanic and runs a small welding shop...he has done them in the shop before without removing them from the vehicle, although he prefers to work with one on the bench.

If the damage is accessible from the bottom, it can be repaired in place, also. Of course, all of these repair options, depend on the location and extent of the damage. This is the least invasive method to repair a cracked bell housing, otherwise you will have to follow the directions provided by jonzcustomshop, as listed above.

In any case, good luck with your project and welcome aboard...post often, because you will find every answer to every question specific to your truck.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote