The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2003, 11:12 PM   #1
69ChevySB
dropped69

My petty Bed

Ok some folks already know about my bed that I sanded down to find lots of bondo that is really disappointing and on one side of the bed is way flatter than the other side where the crease runs down the truck. the bed is actually straight, but I just don't like that one side being flatter than the other, and you can tell the bed had bondo on it before I sanded it because it has glares in the paint where they didn't get it smooth all the way. Like I said the bed is pretty damn straight and you can't see those flaws I explained from a short distance...but i'm the perfectionist type and it has really been bothering me these past couple days...now my question is,

1. Could I take it to an auto body shop and have them fix the bed, because I just don't know how I could fix that bedside to make the crease as even as it is down the whole truck. Can auto body shops fix my bedside to where it is pretty damn near perfect? Or am I just better off trying to find a new bed. Thanks.

Also, How hard is it to take the bed off the frame? how many bolts is it? how long would it take if someone helped me? thanks
69ChevySB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:19 AM   #2
Orence1

I suspect that the repair will run anywhere from $500 to $1000. You can actually purchase the tools necessary to fix your own bed for less than $500. Bed removal is about getting all those bolts you see in your bed loose. Chances are that many of them are so rusty that you will need to break or cut them off. If you can post a picture or two of your bed side, a lot of these guys have extensive body work experience and could give you more specific advice. Good luck.
Larry
Orence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:29 AM   #3
69ChevySB
dropped69

I have no way to post a picture maybe I should take my truck to a body shop and get an estimate then take it to a couple more places?
69ChevySB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:32 AM   #4
72CustomCamper

For what it's worth. When the bed was destroyed on my '72 by an erratic cement mixer trailer, the body shop just replaced the sides and left the original bed bottom.

Can you just get one new side installed?

This happened when my Grandpa owned it and I don't really have all of the details...something to ask about though.

'93 K2500 Suburban, Old 454 (157K)
72CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:35 AM   #5
Chip327

New metal is always the desired choice but I know the body shop can work wonders as well. Had my 67 parked in the lot ( away from all activity ) and still had a motorhome or semi back into the side of the box. Hit and run of course but if I ever find out who it was.... anyways body shop did an excellent job of reworking the crease and putting everything back to better then new. If insurance would have allowed I would have put a whole new skin on instead but Im still happy with what I ve got now, and Im very fussy.

67 GMC Pickup
Chip327 is offline   Reply With Quote