The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
dubdeuce80

i am confused myself...

with the frame on the ground, and the axle above it, i measured out a notch that had 1" of room between the bottom of the notch and the top of the axle.

moved the axle to the bottom of the frame, and measured the distance from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the notch, and i got about 10 3/4". BUT the distance from the ground to the lowest part of the frame is a little less than 7". did i do something wrong, or is there something i'm not taking into consideration? i didn't really feel like puttin the axle back on top, but now this is buggin the crap out of me. i don't want a huge gap between the notch and axle either...

dubdeuce80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: i confused myself...

Did you account for how tall the metal in your notch is ???

Looks like you have already done this but...
With your springs out set your frame on the axle, with the size tires you are going to run (height wise) Then on flat ground measure the distance between the bottom of the frame & the ground to find out how much of a notch you would need to set the frame on the ground & add a inch for the inch of clearance you want (that is the height to the bottom/inside of the notch)

It looks like you are gonna want about a 8" notch

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 12-08-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
dubdeuce80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Did you account for how tall the metal in your notch is ???

Looks like you have already done this but...
With your springs out set your frame on the axle, with the size tires you are going to run (height wise) Then on flat ground measure the distance between the bottom of the frame & the ground to find out how much of a notch you would need to set the frame on the ground & add a inch for the inch of clearance you want (that is the height to the bottom/inside of the notch)

It looks like you are gonna want about a 8" notch
yea that's how it's sittin in the pictures. but i had the frame on the ground, and the axle was on top, like it would be had there been a notch. i measured it exactly the same way it's being measured in the pictures, and there was only 1" of clearance. that's why i'm so confused haha...i guess i'll just have to mess with it tomorrow and see what the deal is...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #4
TylerHuff

it might just be me but that notch looks really tall on my dually which is an 86 the bottom of my notch was only about 1.5" above the stock frame rail for me to lay on a 32" tire. but duallys have bigger frames so it may just look that way.

if your frame is sitting on the axle and your frame is 7 inches to the ground then the inside of your notch should be at least 7 inches off of the top of your rear end. at least that how i did it and mine lays out
Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
Twisted Minis

The way I measure for a notch is pretty simple. I level the frame out, and measure from the frame to the ground. Lets say this measurement is 10 inches for simplicity. Now I measure from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame. Lets say this is 5 inches. Your frame needs to drop down 10 inches, so in order to do this you need a 5" notch, plus about 1" of comfort room, or room for a bump stop, so a 6" notch in total. Been doing it that way for years and never had a notch that looked overly tall. One of my biggest pet peeves is a notch thats nearly as tall as the tire laid out..
Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
dubdeuce80

my friend brought up the point of articulation, being as the front of the truck is on the ground still. i understand the frame being 7" of the ground so the notch should be 7", that's why i'mconfused now, as i measured the notch with the frame on the ground before hand, so i know it only had 1" of room. i'm just gonna have to level out the frame tomorrow and see where i'm at.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Minis View Post
The way I measure for a notch is pretty simple. I level the frame out, and measure from the frame to the ground. Lets say this measurement is 10 inches for simplicity. Now I measure from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame. Lets say this is 5 inches. Your frame needs to drop down 10 inches, so in order to do this you need a 5" notch, plus about 1" of comfort room, or room for a bump stop, so a 6" notch in total.
This is the correct way to do it.You don't need to do any of this axle over the top of the frame business.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
dubdeuce80

i know i know...but i already had the axle out so i could pull off the bed by myself, so i figured what the hell

i leveled it all out and the numbers match up now. i guess it was just since the front was down, screwed it all up, i knew i didn't do anything wrong...

Last edited by dubdeuce80; 12-09-2008 at 12:55 PM.