The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

Push Rod Cover Gasket Help

I just replaced the push rod cover gaskets on my 250ci. L6 about a month ago and the front one is still leaking right behind the coil. I used new gaskets and high temp RTV silicone between the covers and the gaskets. Did I miss a step or should I be putting RTV silicone on the engine and on the cover? Are there better aftermarket gaskets available (I got the cork kind from AutoZone)? Should I just get new covers? Mine don't look bad but maybe they are bent enough that I won't be able to get a good seal with them. Your input is appreciated.

On the positive side, my engine oils the bottom of the truck automatically so I shouldn't get much rust, unfortunately it also oils my garage floor
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Bruce88

Re: Push Rod Cover Gasket Help

Cork gaskets are a pain, but some time there’s nothing else available I don’t know if there are different kind for your application.

What works for me is to clean the matting surfaces with what ever you want to use and when you think that there clean enough I do a final cleaning with brake cleaner, alcohol or MEK on a clean cloth any thing that will not leave an oil residue on the surface. RTV will not work with any oil on the surface. Then I put a small bead of Permatatex ultra copper high temp RTV on both sides of the cork gasket and install the cover but just lightly snug the bolts down. Let the RTV cure for 24 hours then torque the covers to final torque. The problem with cork gaskets is that they can crack and slip around with RTV if torqued to final torque before the RTV has setup. But using RTV improves the chances that there will not be any leaks.

Hope this helps good luck
Bruce88 is offline   Reply With Quote