The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 AM   #51
chevychase

Re: Lower A-arm ???

Does this mod gain you any extra drop opposed to cut SD/ART cups or just for better ride height?

Last edited by chevychase; 12-10-2008 at 02:15 AM.
chevychase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:11 AM   #52
VA72C10
VA72C10

Also, how much lower would this be than what you get w/ 2.5" drop spindles (1/2" or .3"?)
Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 AM   #53
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

It lets you ride a couple inches lower than if you have the spacer cups & when you lay out your LCAs will touch the upper bag plate instead of your bags bottoming out

All it really does is let you ride a lil lower with your bags at a good height... Basically your bags are 6-7" tall when your control arms are basically level
And it will let it lay out a lil more

If you click the link to Killers build thread in my sig, you can see what it will do

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 12-10-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #54
VA72C10
VA72C10

So compared to drop spindles, it still allows the bags to ride at their recommended height (6-7) or is it for those w/out drop spindles?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #55
chevychase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
It lets you ride a couple inches lower than if you have the spacer cups & when you lay out your LCAs will touch the upper bag plate instead of your bags bottoming out

All it really does is let you ride a lil lower with your bags at a good height... Basically your bags are 6-7" tall when your control arms are basically level
And it will let it lay out a lil more

If you click the link to Killers build thread in my sig, you can see what it will do
Got it I think, but just to make sure... better ride height and bag clearance. But mod will not physically help lower the truck any at full dump with drop spindles?? Because your truck in your build looks like it gets down there pretty low.

Last edited by chevychase; 12-10-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:42 AM   #56
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
So compared to drop spindles, it still allows the bags to ride at their recommended height (6-7) or is it for those w/out drop spindles?
Well sorta

What it does is allow you to ride lower with the bag at the same height

So if you had normal LCAs with the spacer cups & rode with the bags at 6-7" tall then your truck would sit up pretty high
But with these it will let the truck set roughly 2-3" lower & the bags be at the same 6-7" height

Killer
Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 AM   #57
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevychase View Post
Got it I think, but just to make sure... better ride height and bag clearance. But mod will not physically help lower the truck any at full dump with drop spindles?? Because your truck in your build looks like it gets down there pretty low.
I have never ran a truck with stock LCAs & the spacers, so I cant tell you how low one will lay out

But with this mod it will lay the LCAs on the ground (you will need shorter shocks) & at that point spindles will just allow you to ride lower by the amount of drop in the spindles... Such as 2-1/2" lower if you had 2.5" drop spindles (same theory as with springs, the spindles do the same thing here)
And at dump you wont have as much camber

Killer
Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #58
chevychase

Well if your LCA are on the ground, that sounds like more of a drop than I've seen with cut cups! Do you have any other front suspension mods besides bags/spindles?

Last edited by chevychase; 12-10-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #59
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Nope, not yet

Killer
Old 12-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #60
chevychase

Quote:
Nope, not yet
So I guess with drop spindles and this mod alone you can drop the truck as low as it will go? Also with a 6" Rear Z like you have would/should you use a C-Notch?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #61
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Well you can always go lower, I just chose not to because I didnt want all the extra work

Its as low as you can go without: Crossmember mods or different crossmember, front Z, body drop, stuff like that

As low as it is you have plenty of clearance issues, cant run stock inner fenders, heater box clearance, hood hinge clearance, & inside of fender clearance

You can always do more work & get it to lay frame if you wanted

In the rear, Im not a big fan of notches (nothing wrong with them, just dont like em) so thats why I went with a Z instead of a step notch

I only did a 6-3/16" Z (thats the height of the frame) & my truck lays out pretty level, so I have no need for a bigger Z on this truck

Killer
Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #62
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Well sorta

What it does is allow you to ride lower with the bag at the same height

So if you had normal LCAs with the spacer cups & rode with the bags at 6-7" tall then your truck would sit up pretty high
But with these it will let the truck set roughly 2-3" lower & the bags be at the same 6-7" height
I am confused....maybe this comparison would help me

What would be the ride height difference of a truck w/ bags, stock spindles, and these cut out (lowered) A-arms
Vs
A truck w/ bags, 2 1/2" lowering spindles, and cut out (lowered) A-arms
vs
A truck w/ bags, 2 1/2" lowering spindles, and stock A-arms?
vs
A truck w/ bags, stock spindles, and stock A-arms?

The way I am reading everything, If we assume zero for the bottom example (bags w/ stock spindles and arms), the ride height could be 2 1/2" lower with the drop spindles and stock a-arms. But here's where I get confused....since i read that you will hit the crossmember before you get 3" of drop with the cut a-arms, wouldn't you RIDE at the same height with either only drop spindles OR the drop A-arms since you could only get about 2 1/2 drop before hitting the crossmember and couldn't ride w/ the arm resting on the crossmember?

With BOTH the drop spindles AND the drop arms, do you get a total of 5" drop at RIDE height or just at dump height? I'm a noob at this, but trying to figure it out. I would like to do all my suspension once of course so before buying lower cups (cut to 1") and upper plates, installing them, and not being happy, I'd like to see if i need to/Want to do this to have the ride height I'm looking for. THe other question would be: If i do this, would I have to do some sort of notch (OR Z) to get the ride height in the rear to be level, or since I will be aired up a certain amount to clear the stock inner fenders and stock steel bedfloor, it is really a moot point? I don't plan on laying rocker or frame...just want to tuck the tires slightly when at a show and drive with it as low as possible with full turn capabilities (not worried about dragging anything including my full length headers)

Thanks for all the info so far and for any additional info you can provide.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #63
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Ok Ima try to filter through all that

I will get a picture of my truck at ride height today, so you can see what one looks like with the LCA mods & 2.5" drop spindles

This truck has 2" drop spindles

I dont think I have a pic of the last version

The reason for the mod is to let your bags run at close to the optimal height recommended my the manufacturer & your truck sit lower than if you had stock LCAs with spacer cups

You are correct in that the drop spindles offer drop at ride height IN ADDITION TO the drop you get from the LCA mod
But the drop spindle wont really let it lay much/any lower

In the rear, yes you would need to do one or the other to ride as low as the front

Here is the truck that my front set up used to be under, it is close to ride height in the front & laying the frame on the axle in the back

So you would need at least a 5" notch or Z in the back so you could have travel & not be bottoming out all the time

In order to ride as low as the black truck (which doesnt even have drop spindles)
You cant run your stock inner fenders, so you either need to mod them / build new ones or quit kidding yourself about running that low

With out the drop spindles there is roughly 1.5" of gap between the top of the tire (tires are 28" tall) & the fender opening
And on my other truck with the drop spindles, it is tucking roughly 1" of tire

So if you were to try to run that low with stock inner fenders, you would be scrubbing your tires on them a lot (I have tried it)

In the rear, you cant even do a very big C-notch without cutting a hole in your floor for the top of the axle to poke through, so doing a Z or a step notch would mean modifying your bed floor in some shape form or fashion

If you dont wanna start cutting things, get riding low out of your head & stick to trucks that ride at this height

Sorry if I came across as a jerk there

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 12-10-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #64
VA72C10
VA72C10

I appreciate all the info and suggestions. My ideal ride height is the red truck. I really don't care about ridin low, just want to lower it at shows and not even much lower than that in all honesty. What then would I need to accomplish riding at the red truck height. Would simply bags, 2 1/2" spindles, cut cups (not a-arms) in the front and bags only in the rear get me there or would I have to c-notch the rear? I do not want to mod my bed at all but I guess I could use lowering blocks and the c-notch to keep the pumpkin out of the bed....but do I need the notch to go that low? Again, the red truck is pretty much a perfect ride height for me personally.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #65
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Go read the thread below & if you dont find the answer, then ask the owner of the truck what all he did & you should be good

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317533

Killer
Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #66
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks, thought that was C10Addict's truck. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #67
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Ur welcome

Killer