The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
asphaltburner

torque steer

Yo! As I built my twin-stick '78 FRANKENTRUCK, I heard some talk about torque steer when the truck is in front wheel drive. I finally had enough time to think about it, and I wondered, doesn't torque steer occur in four wheel drive also? Haven't had FRANKENTRUCK on the road and in front wheel drive enough to have tested it out.
Perhaps the additional drive from the rear axle helps to eliminate torque steer, when in 4x4, but I thought I'd address this to all of you. Thanks in advance, Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 12-11-2008 at 12:39 AM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
SkylineNXS

Re: torque steer

I'm not really to sure you would have torque steer at all in the truck. Since the axles are perpendicular to the wheels (parallel to the ground) at all times, since its a solid axle, i don't think torque steer can occur. If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but I'm pretty sure torque steer only occurs if the axles are angled compared to the wheels, angled meaning in accordance to the ground. Front wheel drive cars and such experience it because the half shaft axles are normally at angles to the wheels. If i remember correctly, the easiest way to eliminate the torque steer is to make the axle as parallel to the ground as possible, hence perpendicular to the wheel.

I think....

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
SkylineNXS

Possibly a slight correction, although what i said may be true, looking it, the length of each drive shaft may have more of an affect on the torque steer than the angle, possibly. As a lot of torque is applied, the longer shaft will be able to flex more due to the greater length, so that wheel will begin to spin more slowly than the other, causing a steering affect.

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Hmmm.... I've got some experience with four wheel drive on dry payment, and I can tell you it makes the truck go straight as an arrow when you're doing a hole shot.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Pyrotechnic

I thought it was more because some FWD cars had unequal length half shafts. I remember some of the Chrysler K cars with the turbo engine having this problem on a hard launch.

Just something you will have to try out and see what happens. I'm sure a steering stabilizer would be a good addition either way.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
C-10volvo

Any truck that has a typical 4wd system (solid axle or ifs) will not have torque steer due to the placement of the transmission and transfer case. Torque steer applies to cars with fwd and "sideways mounted" engines that have offset transmissions. This causes the axle lengths to differ by about 1-2 feet. Ultimately, as Brad explained, it is that axle length difference that causes the torque steering effect.

I had a modded volvo s70 t5 (turbo 5 cyl) with a tuned ECU that took both hands holding tight to keep it on the road.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
asphaltburner

Yo! Cool!
My axle shaft lengths are only slightly different, as you well know. The '73 Dana 44 front axle differential is only offset by about 12". And I can't imagine that these 3/4 ton truck shafts will flex very much.
I really don't anticipate launching my 3/4 ton 4x4 with WOT in front wheel drive (or in 4x4, or RWD) anyway! I have a Camaro for that thrill!
FWD will probably be reserved for consevative gas mileage and traction (due to the proper weight distribution) in snow over long distance. I'll use 4x4 offroad in the mountains (creeping) and in snow, and RWD for general duty, so I believe I'll never even experience torque steer.
The subject still fascinates me, so I might have to test it out. Does a lower friction surface, such as gravel or snow accentuate the effect? Perhaps that reduces it, since the axles would have less tendancy to flex on acceleration.
And I DO have a factory steering stabilizer. Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 12-11-2008 at 04:48 PM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote