The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
drivethechevy

my family is incredible!

as a few of you know put a post up in the general discussion area about how as a graduation present / inheritance i am getting my great-grandpas 1948 desoto custom coupe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=318215

well i have been searching for a little while know for a nice needs nothing driver so i can restore my 68 k10 the right way the first time, and i was preferably looking for a 71-72 and i was hoping to find one that looks like my dads 71 custom deluxe k10, well today when i got home from school my dad asked me how much would i would offer him for his truck (which is the whole reason why i love 67-72's) i knew he only thought his truck was worth about 5 grand, so i offered him 5 grand, he told me he has to talk to my mother and then i will probably be able to buy it. this truck has been my dream truck for as long as i can remember, i learned how to work on trucks on this truck, my dad finished his restoration of it about a week before i was born, and he started restoring because he found out he was going to be a father. i have so much history in and around this truck, i am so proud that he offered it to me weather or not i get it at all

bellow is a picture of the truck about a year after he finished restoring it so that would be 92, the truck isnt in as good of shape anymore, its has trouble starting sometimes, the dash pad the armrests and the seat have seen better days, and the paint has gotten bubbles and the tailgate is shot, but its still not bad for a daily driven (up till 5 years ago) on a 18 year old frame off

this is a picture of the truck the first time its been outside in 5 years, it was taken this summer

this is me with the truck in one of my senior pictures

this is a picture of me and my dad sitting in his truck when i was 2 or 3

my family is incredible and i love them to death, and im honored that i will be getting the desoto for sure when i graduate this spring, and that i was even asked if i wanted to buy my dads truck
nate

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
chas350

Re: my family is incredible!

Congrats, keep it in the family.
Maybe someday your son or daughter.......? Sounds crazy hah? All I can say is, time flys!
Good luck, its a nice truck.
I wish I had a chance with some of my fathers cars, mostly the '64 GTO or even the '65
chas

71 K10 long fleet (sons truck) new 370hp 355, sm465 np205, 3.73's 33's
70 K20 long fleet
98 G3500 work van

Last edited by chas350; 12-11-2008 at 08:34 PM.
chas350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
drivethechevy

thanks, i have always told my dad that if he ever even gets it in his head to sell the truck that he is only alowed to sell it to me
i can only hope that someday whenever i have a kid that they will be intrested in the truck to and want it from me when im ready to pass it on to them
nate

1968 chevy k/10 fleet
Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Nate,

That is Awesome. You are very lucky to have such an incredible family. Both vehicles are sweet but to be able to finally own the truck that you have grown up to love all of your life is priceless. Well your 18 and getting ready to graduate and I'm sure you have restoration plans already going through your head.

Congratulations, Good Luck and Enjoy...Who knows, one day when you get married and have kids you'll be able to teach your son or daughter about 2 Classic Vehicles that you grew up to love.
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

WoW very nice pictures keep them all
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
72 Super

That is a priceless opportunity. Goodluck and it sounds like you have a great family. Don't ever sell them if you can help it.

Ray
Old 12-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

very cool story and very cool family!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
71swb4x4

Wow, you are getting a lot of opportunites to keep the family vehicles going. I see a large garage in your future!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Thats a cool story.......Congrats.........
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
drivethechevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Wow, you are getting a lot of opportunites to keep the family vehicles going. I see a large garage in your future!
my family is really generous and suportive of my old car and truck addiction someday i hope to have a garage big enough to restore old cars for a living, both the desoto and my dads 71 will never leave my family as long as i live
thanks guys, if and when the 71 becomes mine i will hopefully be a subscribing member and i will be buying what few parts i need in order to get it back to the condition it was in when my dad finished restoring it in 91

a little info about the truck
its a 1971 custom deluxe k10 with a 350/th350 it has a good amound of options, but im not sure what there are and i dont have a picture of the spid, its has corporate axles with unknown ratios, and a posi rear axle, its has jeep rims on it and i think they look really good on the truck, as you can see its medium olive, and white, it has the am radio and the ammeter oil gauges, a sliding rear window, a wood bed which hase been covered since 93 when it became my dads daily driver untill 2003, in the bed there is a custom made shelf system that supports a queen sized matress which was used on our camping and hunting trips, the paint has gotten bubles in a couple spots and the drivers fender has a rusted out bottom, the tailgate is ruted beyond hope, which is a shame cause its the straitest tailgate for a 67-72 i have ever seen, both door mounted mirrors are broken off, one door handle has no button, and the engine needs a tuneup badly and there is something wrong with the carb(the truck acts like it is starved for fuel when trying to start)

plans for the truck would be to get it back to the condition it was in when my dad finished his resto of the truck, and then it will be my daily driver while i go to college, i plan on getting a winter beater so the truck doesnt go end up like other mn trucks

1968 chevy k/10 fleet
Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #11
72BLUZ

that would be awesome to have your dads truck. i only wish i had the chance to have gotten one of my dads vehicles from years gone by
Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #12
Nima
Blue 67

Wow, there are really somethings that money can't buy. I even can't think how does it feel to own your father's truck!. You are a lucky man. Enjoy it and good luck.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote