The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
Gene Sharp

Amp Guage

In the catalog by Painless Wiring or Ron Francis, cant remember which , it says that if you are running one of the later model high out put alternators such as the one wire setups many use,,,that to use the stock Amp Meter is to create a fire hazzard or at the least a source for problems as it was only designed for a 30 amp load as put out by early generators not the 100 amp load of the new alternators.
My question is how did you deal with this if using a more or less stock appearing cluster
Does anyone make a high amp guage that will fit into the stock dash
or perhaps a volt meter for same
or is there a way to make stock guage work

Gene Sharp
Gene Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Kid

Re: Amp Guage

I addressed this issue by modifying the original gage cluster. Drill off the face of your original amp gage & bond it over the face of a volt meter. I used an old Stewart Warner volt gage for my mod, but any gage of proper size will work. You will need to modify the backing plate also due to the volt meters are deeper than the original amp gage. Be sure to keep the studs that the wires attach to are properly insulated from the backing plate similar to the original gage is. Hope this helps ya. It works great for me & keeps the original look that I was after.
Attached Images

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Amp Guage

Thats an excellent idea. Volts is more important than amps in telling how the charging system is doing.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote