The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Going off the deep end? My fix for a busted frame!

So I have a 72 C/30 that I love dearly, but I have a problem, the frame is FUBAR!

So my solution was to go buy a Miller Matic 212 today, and about 1200.00 worth of steel. I am building a brand new frame out of 3x6" .250 wall box tubing, its gonna be a BEAST! Also building a new front bumper out of 1/4" plate, and picked up some 1x3" flat bar to make shackle mounts on the front bumper. It is going to be huge.

As well I will be building a new fuel tank, one on the bed, and one between the rear frame rails, between the two I should have about 100 gallons of fuel on board.

I am going to fully weld the frame, but the motor and tranny cross members will be bolt in units so as that eventually I can stuff a Cummins in it, at which point everything will have to be moved. I am also seriously considering a NP203/205 doubler. Thats right, transfer cases! I am converting it to a 4x4!

I bought back my dana 60 from the guy I sold it to for half of what he paid me for it because he stretched himself too thin!

Has anyone seen anyone else do this to a truck on this board before? I think mine is going to be the only one like it.

I am going to spend tomorrow working on my shop some, installing lights, and a new set of barn doors im cutting into the side, then I am going to get busy with Autocad finishing my design for the frame. I am going to get it constructed as far as the body mounts, and leave open the option for upgrading from leaf springs to air bags!

The best part is, I will still be able to drive my truck while I am building the frame!

Expecially if I find a Cummins, if I do I will buy a rotted cab cheap, use it for a template, and then install the motor and tranny and everything, as well as getting a good core support and hacking it up as necessary to install the inter cooler and a much larger radiator. If I got that route I will cut the entire center section of the core support out and rebuild it to accept a much wider radiator.

Ultimately I would like to stuff twin turbos on the Cummins, but that is an eventuality. It is sure fun to think about having like 800 ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels though!

A NV6500 would be damn nice too, but spendy. For right now I am just going to concentrate on getting the frame built.

As I get rocking and rolling I will post updates to my build thread Gonna be an interesting Christmas for sure!

Also got the steel today for a new bumper for my friends Dodge ram he has been letting me borrow, he rear ended another car, and his bumper is totally messed up. When he comes home Christmas day he will find a brand spankin new 1/4" thick steel plate bumper on his truck. I think it will make him happy.

I think this next year might actually be a good year for me. I have actually got rid of all of my payments, I can actually afford to work on my stuff now. And currently I am also planning on getting my 31x33 shop that I already have a slab for built. Going to be nice to finally have a place to fabricate indoors!

Heres wishing everyone a merry Christmas and a Happy new year!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: Going off the deep end? My fix for a busted frame!

Sounds nice man good luck
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Talk about getting something off the ground! That sounds like a lot of stuff going on at one time.... I hope you don't forget what your working on..

Lockdoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

That is going to be a BEAST! I love your truck, Now I love it more!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
ShowSS12

I thought you where gonna hold off for a while? I guess you just couldn't shake it.... Please don't be shy with the build pics.....
ShowSS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I hope you don't forget what your working on..

Lockdoc
I hear you there, I need another project like I need another hole in the head.

In the next year I am going to...

1. Finish this truck.
2. Build a shop
3. Start building a house
4. Put an engine in my 89 Blazer

Then other projects I have waiting.

1. 79 Trans Am 6.6WS6
2. 71 Olds Cutlass
3. 93 Z28 Camaro
4. An eventual Jeep CJ7

Man I need more garage space.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSS12 View Post
I thought you where gonna hold off for a while? I guess you just couldn't shake it.... Please don't be shy with the build pics.....
Actually I sold my blazer. And you know what they say, necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Spent the day today installing a new door into my shop, had to cut out a wall, and build the doors and everything, it was quite a project.

Tonight I took the time to sit down and continue on my autocad drawings.

This is a side view of the new frame, bed and tool boxes. It also shows the proposed 35" tires, and suspension travel using Air Lift Dominator D2600 Airbags.

This is a front view of my frame, showing the Engine Cross member, the engine depicted is a Tall Deck Mark IV Chevy Big Block. Which is what I have in the truck currently.

Then I started working on the Transmission cross member, I am going to build it so as that the mount is recessed into it, instead of sitting on top, I will add a 1" drain hole on either side of it, this will give me about 2" more ground clearance.

Over All I am very pleased with how the project is turning out, I Think it is going to be stellar!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
heavy71chevy

man what a beast! thats awesome
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
8mpg

Im kinda working in the same direction. I already have a Cummins12v and NV4500 ready to go...I found it will be easier just using a newer Dodge truck frame than building a whole new setup. Must more cost effective as well.

Im buying a 3/4 ton 99 Dodge frame with full front suspension and steering for $300. Found a dually rear for $500. These frames can hold some serious weight and the motor/trans bolt right in.

Im not quite there yet, but once I get the frame, it should be as simple as building 4 cab supports and 2 core support mounts.

If you are serious about the Cummins, your front frame rails need to be close to 34" wide. The early truck frame is 28" and will be widened for the Cummins a/c compressor. This is the sole reason Im just using a new frame. You also get the benefits of rack and pinion and stock disc brakes.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I revised the motor mounts design yet again last night.

The reason for this is, the air bags will have their own cross member, so having one here is unnecessary.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Im kinda working in the same direction. I already have a Cummins12v and NV4500 ready to go...I found it will be easier just using a newer Dodge truck frame than building a whole new setup. Must more cost effective as well.

Im buying a 3/4 ton 99 Dodge frame with full front suspension and steering for $300. Found a dually rear for $500. These frames can hold some serious weight and the motor/trans bolt right in.

Im not quite there yet, but once I get the frame, it should be as simple as building 4 cab supports and 2 core support mounts.

If you are serious about the Cummins, your front frame rails need to be close to 34" wide. The early truck frame is 28" and will be widened for the Cummins a/c compressor. This is the sole reason Im just using a new frame. You also get the benefits of rack and pinion and stock disc brakes.
Actually I am combating this in a different way, I am making the front frame rails lower by 4 inches instead of trying to push them out. I don't want to get into interference issues with the body, as well the other reason is, eventually I want to put a home built dana 80 in the front, with a set of knuckles that will steer 60 degrees! I don't want to get into tire/frame clearance issues!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I got the engine and tranny drawn, and I have them mocked up on the frame. Currently they are set at 7 degrees. It will put my rear drive shaft angle at 5 degrees. Although I am worried about the front shaft angle, it will be a CV, but Still I need to make sure it is not excessive.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

And a concept drawing. (and yes that is a 53 gallon fuel tank under there!

Last edited by MrBeast; 12-14-2008 at 12:53 PM.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
Husker

That sounds like a fun Challenge, Flatbed to boot. Goodluck
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote