The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
Chip327

How High Can I Go

I have a friend with a 1981 GMC 4x4 , 1/2 ton and he wants to put a suspension lift on it. Does anyone know how high he can go before he needs to start doing some major changes.

So far hes looking at re-arcing the front and blocks on the back. Does anyone else have any suggestions or experience with this. I'll pass the info on to him. Thanks!

67 GMC Pickup
Chip327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

what do you consider major? he can easily go 4 or 6 inches without "major" changes.. at 8" you need to start really considering what you're doing.. with driveshaft angles, steering linkage, etc... with 4 or even 6 you can just throw on a steering arm, some longer brake lines, you might even get away with your old driveshafts working... any higher and the cost goes up exponentially (or so it seems!)

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
ironwood
$640 truck// doesn't run

I had a 79 Blazer that I lifted 4" without putting on a new pitman arm and I forget what way I couldn't turn very sharp but I wished I had put one on. If you go with blocks in the rear be wary of how much power you are running I have heard of stories where guys have popped the blocks out because of the axle wrap created when accelerating. I don't know if those stories were true or not but it makes sense to me. I had blocks in the rear on mine but wished I had springs.
53 Chevy 1/2 ton- in California, where the rust is not. Ready for some LOVE!!!
ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote