The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
rock141b

53 chevy fender braces

Hi, ol street rodder here but new to the truck scene. I purchased a 53 chevy 1/2 ton from the original owner so its all compete and in primer. My question is about the two fender braces that go from the left/right fenders to the fire wall. I know what they are used for, but I've noticed that some custom trucks eliminate them. So are they essential for the fenders to line up etc. and how are they removed without having the fenders droop or not line up. I would like to remove them when I put the truck back together, thanks for the help.
rock141b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
50adrod

Re: 53 chevy fender braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock141b View Post
Hi, ol street rodder here but new to the truck scene. I purchased a 53 chevy 1/2 ton from the original owner so its all compete and in primer. My question is about the two fender braces that go from the left/right fenders to the fire wall. I know what they are used for, but I've noticed that some custom trucks eliminate them. So are they essential for the fenders to line up etc. and how are they removed without having the fenders droop or not line up. I would like to remove them when I put the truck back together, thanks for the help.
I used a *****in products core support that mounts to the frame rails that is more stable than the factory core support mounted under the radiator to the crossmember. then you can eliminate them. it also gives you more adjustment.
if you use their inner fenders they attach to the frame with a small bracket, that aslo gives stability.
1964 F 100 custom street rod http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...mark-viii.html
1950 custom Chevy Truck

Last edited by 50adrod; 12-29-2008 at 08:05 AM.
50adrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
cajundragger

I dont have any. My front end might have a small wiggle to it, but I dont have inner fenders or anything else either.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
mylow53

you might try getting chrome rods as a dress up. but one of the weakest points on these trucks is the entire front end mounts to the 2 bolts on the bottom of the the radiator support. my original radiator support was missing 3 inches of channel from metal fatigue. my 2 rods had spider cracked my firewall where they mount. so you do need these unless your reenforcing your radiator mount some how
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
rock141b

Hi, thanks for all the good info, I think I'll look into the new core supports, I just don't like the look of the braces going thru the engine compartment, thanks again.
rock141b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
1sik52
Account Suspended

I didnt use them at first but I had issues with fender/ hood alignments so I ordered the polished Stainless Steal rods and installed them. Everything lined up so much nicer and the really dont look bad at all.
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
cajundragger

I have a home made 1x2 core support as well fyi and last time the truck was together had damn near perfect gaps. I also plan on ading pieces to go from the bottom of the grill to the core support or frame.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #8
renegade8720

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50adrod View Post
I used a *****in products core support that mounts to the frame rails that is more stable than the factory core support mounted under the radiator to the crossmember. then you can eliminate them. it also gives you more adjustment.
if you use their inner fenders they attach to the frame with a small bracket, that aslo gives stability.
I am planing on using the *****in core support on my build. I did not know that it was mounted to the frame rails. Does it rest on the factory support along with the frame rails? I have completly redone my frame and got rid of the factory front core support as mine was cut up pretty bad by the old owner for some reason and looked bad. I was going to build a new support to replace the factory one.
Your build is looking great, the seats look good in the cab.

Thanks,
Rob
renegade8720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
50adrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade8720 View Post
I am planing on using the *****in core support on my build. I did not know that it was mounted to the frame rails. Does it rest on the factory support along with the frame rails? I have completly redone my frame and got rid of the factory front core support as mine was cut up pretty bad by the old owner for some reason and looked bad. I was going to build a new support to replace the factory one.
Your build is looking great, the seats look good in the cab.

Thanks,
Rob
you can remove the front crossmember it mounts directly to the frame rails. you cane see the bracket in this picture, it mounts in holes where rivets were located. you can see the 4 shiny bolts on the passenger sie
1964 F 100 custom street rod http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...mark-viii.html
1950 custom Chevy Truck
50adrod is offline   Reply With Quote