The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
primered_junk
ASE master tech/machinist

Unhappy 72 blues

After years of playing with the 67-72's I have loved, I was faced with some conflict. I was set to purchase a posi unit from another board member, and the wife found out. She told me that was the last straw, and packed up my children and left. So I had to make a decision, the play toys have to go. I have had to let go so much over the past few years it's sickening, and now the 72, the last bit of freedom left. Some times growing up and facing the music stinks. I'll come down off my soap box now, have any of you run into this before?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
big_al_71

Re: 72 blues

Are you kidding?
She left you because you were going to buy something for the truck?

Thank the lord I have the wife I have she is totally supporting of anything I do as long as it is not illegal....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Last straw? What else have you done? Sorry to hear you have to sell her(the truck I mean).

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
primered_junk

True story. It's been a process, the 4 speed Z-28, 71 GMC big block, bagged 98 short bed. Now the 72 all in the past 2 years. No more tinker toys.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
71tahoe

Tinkering with classics is the best vice to have. As long as the mortgage/rent and utilities and food bills are paid...
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
lowriden58

i gotta say that if my woman did that i would just let her go.. just cause i know i wouldnt be happy if i couldnt tinker with my "toys", and she knows that but im sure she wouldnt leave me for that,now for some other reason(s) maybe

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
windmill

You know what i would do is sell the truck. and make her do away with all her little things she likes to do(hobbies) too. Then she how she likes that.
1966 mustang getting a l33 ls motor
1969 chevy dump truck
1989 mustang 6.0 ls best time of 1.29 at 5.91
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtbooZoGZmQ
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

If it weren't for the kids I'd say good riddance. But I don't know what I'd do in your situation.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #9
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
If it weren't for the kids I'd say good riddance. But I don't know what I'd do in your situation.

Exactly.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
powerbench

Wow....Hate to hear that, what a shame.My wife gets a bit annoyed with my car and truck thing....and obsesive tool buying , but the bills still get payed and i'am not sticking us into the hole with the buying so...Kinda makes ya think , what fun are you allowed to have ....sorry dude
powerbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #11
jritt72

I'm sorry you are going through this. I went though it the first seven years of marrage. It started the same way, #1 was no more hunting, #2 was no more fishing,#3 was no more trucks. There is more but you get the point. I have two boys with this crazy woman. I now hunt,fish,build cars,ride motorcycles, and the best part of it is I don,t miss her at all. My new wife likes to fish,and piddle with old cars and trucks... If you need someone to talk to, I,ll do what i can to help.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #12
72highlander
Sophomore Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue View Post
i couldn't agree more, because to be honest, i don't think there's anything i wouldn't do to be able to see my son every day. on a side note, you are gonna have to learn to be a little more sly in your transactions.

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 AM   #13
powerbench

I just wonder if it isn't time for a sit down , just ask her point blank , what i'am i allowed to do for fun? 'am i not allowed to have any hobbies and if i can what are they.
powerbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 AM   #14
phipp13
THE DAMN YANKEE

i don't want to go Dr. Phill on you but, i honestly don't believe that it's just the truck. Why? I read the book" men are from mars and women are from venus" because my 2nd marrige was in the crapper.The book was highly recomended by a good friend.Women don't ever say what they mean. It's like they speak a diffrent language.I'm not B.Sn you this is no joke. Read the book and if it does'nt help i'm sorry for your loss. I read it 4 years ago and all is well on the homefront. I'm happy, she's happy, and i still have my kids & all my toys. Hell she even bought me a monster tool box with a radio and beer fridge for christmas. i'm 44 and i thought i knew a lot about women, had my share in my day but that book made me realize how much i really did'nt know. good luck respectfully phipp
phipp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #15
jritt72

I understand about the kids, it was hard for me. When it gets to the point where you are not happy with yourself, the kids can sense that. When you get off work and ride around till you think she'll be asleep when you get home, it's time to do something. Thats where i was eight years ago.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 AM   #16
72Levi

If all your bills are paid and the truck does not interfere with any necessary things I would say BYE BYE WIFE! Some woman are high maintenance and don't appreciate you, ask yourself is your wife like that? If so, let her go, there are many more fish in the sea. Take Care.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 AM   #17
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

I hate to say this, but it has nothing to do with your truck.

I really wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted with what happens.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #18
Senator350

know what'll REALLY work?
give the truck to me!
i have parents! so, not only would YOUR kids beneffit... so would MY parrents kids

I'll let you drive it every time you visit. HECK! you could even WORK on it if you want to!

seriously... sounds dramatic... but there have to be other pleasures in life!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

pj, I'm sorry to hear about the situation. It sounds like there might be more to the story, but if things are getting this bad on the homefront, it might be in everyone's best interest to either ask for help or take the next step. Wish you the best of luck on your current situation. Life is to short to not live happily.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #20
primered_junk

For an update, I listed the truck on CL and she came home, was in bed sleeping when I came home this morning. You guys were right it was not only the truck, it was the thousands of dollars I spend on these projects just to turn around and sale them or trade them on another beat up and rusted out project. I really do need a hobby that my boys enjoy with me. They love riding in the truck, but don't want to wrench, so new hobby time. Thanks for every ones input, made me think.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #21
jerry moss
Born Psycho

maybe you could try fishing, hunting, or metal detecting. i do all these things on top of my truck hobby and have still got two ex-wives,LOL. best of luck, hope it works out for you all.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
caminokid
Chevy nut

My last ex wife was like that...told me what I could have and couldnt have. I was the one bringing the money. We didnt have nay kids. I missed out on buying a nice 72 Chevelle cause of her. After that she told me I couldnt buy a 76 Cutlass Salon...I snapped. I told her if she didnt like it...tough. I went and bought it. I also bought a 77 SS El Camino...2 matching 68 Chevy trucks...2 Firebirds...79 Chevy truck...72 Pinto I made into a drag car....76 442. I told her....If I couldnt have what I wanted she for damn sure wasnt going to have what she wanted....starting with the TV. I dont watch that much TV anyways.

Sorry about your situation...it sucks cause you do have kids. But as someone else said...she has things she wants to do...limit those. Maybe she will get the hint then.

Julie the girl I am with now understands I do have a sickness. The sickness is my trucks and cars. She dont care what I do till its get way out of control like it was a few months ago. I realized that I went to far when there was no room in the drive to park anyones cars....the neighbors had no place on the street to park. Yes that was over board. I have my Vega and my 2 69 Chevy trucks now.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

My best advice is to never take financial advice from someone who is broke and never take marriage advice from someone who is divorced. Make it work, and if you can't then do what is best for the kids (and that may mean getting rid of the truck with or without the wife around). A truck can wait, kids can't, they grow up too quick. Just my opinion of course, take it or leave it.
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #24
SWB

Sorry to hear...Think about this..If you sell all your toy's and she still leave's what then?? You have to keep at least one thing you enjoy, any reasonable woman would agree. And it's not a toy if you drive it every day, it's just an older means of transportation. #2.. You have kid's (as do I) so when you get down to your last toy and she still insist you get rid of it, I would sell it to a friend very cheap and agree with him that you can re-purchase it for the same when ever you want, then if the marriage doesn't work out your children and you know you've done all you can do. Then re-purchase your truck and move on. I agree with Papa's Smurf's Ride, They growup very fast. Even when I tinker with toy's I included my Daughter, so you can have the best of both worlds.. Good Luck
Heights Pro G front sub,, Shockwave Air Ride, 383cu in etc..

Last edited by SWB; 12-30-2008 at 02:04 PM.
SWB is offline   Reply With Quote