The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Elephanthead

Glovebox

67 glove box is stuck shut, I assume there is no lock, how do I get it open? I have tried hammering the button in and trying to pry with a screw driver, are there any other tricks. I am waiting for my tires to get to me before I get back to working on the wobble of doom and though I would work on some less important things.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Glovebox

-
Not sure what you mean by "I assume there is no lock". If there is no key hole in the button then there is no lock, just the latch. When you push the latch button it retracts the lock bolt and the door opens. There are a couple of things that can happen, one is that the cam inside the latch that pulls the lock bolt down can break and the other major problem is that the lock bolt rubs on the striker (the piece that is screwed to the dash inside the glove box) until it wears a groove in it that is deep enough that it won't let the lock bolt retract. Did you try pushing in on the glove door then pushing the button? If it wasn't physically broken before you hammered on it it may be now.... If there isn't a glove box liner in it you can get underneath the dash and take out the screw that holds the latch assembly in the door.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
66skylarkpost

dont go prying and beating on the dash .even if the glove box liner is there ,cut it . its cheaper and cleaner to remove the latch from the backside under the dash than fixing damage . these trucks always need a new liner anyways every now and then . obviously the latch is just seized . you can remove the latch sleeve with just one screw on the back of the door or remove the latch plate on the dash which has two screws . once you get the liner out its real easy to get to
'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car
66skylarkpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Elephanthead

This is a work truck, not a pretty boy truck, it is not concerned with dents and scratches, but I need a spot to put my registration. I think I need a bigger hammer! I will resort to unscrewing from behind if that doesn't persuade it that I mean business.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephanthead View Post
This is a work truck, not a pretty boy truck, it is not concerned with dents and scratches, but I need a spot to put my registration. I think I need a bigger hammer! I will resort to unscrewing from behind if that doesn't persuade it that I mean business.
in that case I would just put a tourch to that door then make my own j/k

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Then just put a prybar under the edge of the door by the latch and pry it open. it will break the lock bolt, then you can put a new latch in it....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
71tahoe

Quote:
How about a pouch attached to the visor? The pouch will close after you hammer/pry on it
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Elephanthead

The visors are long gone! Oh how I wish I had visors! Then I could leave the glove box unmolested!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
cdowns

try pushing down on the top edge of the glovebox while working the button,doesnt hurt to spray some lube in the button either// or from underneathcut the cardboard liner would b my next try
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
71tahoe

It's Christmas, what color you want, red or green? (I think the flanges on the green are 100% intact. red??) I'm in Bloomington Monday or will you need a latch by then?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
Elephanthead

I am laminating the registration and bolting it to the back bumper instead, that way the cops can just mail me the fix it tickets! Thanks for the offer, I am trying to be amusing, but I do appreciate the offer for the visor and the suggestions and will be trying to get the box open tonight. Work is very boring this week.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
71tahoe

No problem. Good luck with the latch. I've never had that problem. Mine always spontaneously opened whenever it felt like it.