The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #26
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Re: Aftermarket front clip. How do they fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium72 View Post
all aftermarket sheetmetal needs a lil finagleing..but should be okay if you go with a decent company.
Not to second guess anyones comments here, but honestly? After 20 years in the auto-body collision/restoration business I have come to realize that even factory sheet metal you have to trim at times.

I will say that when re-pop stuff first starting making the scene about 15-20 years ago, most of it was crap. But now, I can't honestly say that anymore. I have found that 80% of it is as good of quality as OEM parts. That being said means one of two things. Either 1) The A/M companies are getting better at what they make, or 2) the OEM products are crap now. I think maybe a little of both...

Take this for an example. I had a customer come in with a mid 90's burb and it was rear-ended and got pushed into another vehicle. He insisted that I use all OEM parts. When it came time to order the headlamps (he needed both right and left), I got them from GM. They were $190.00 each retail, about $80 more apiece than A/M Depot lights.

When the parts arrived I was pissed to see that GM had ordered Depot lights and had slapped a GM sticker on the box!!! (By the way, they fit perfectly and looked awesome.)

I look at re-pop parts much differently now, knowing that more and more of the companies that make A/M parts are producing replacement parts for the OEM market. The front bumper for my truck is re-pop, cost me 100 bucks and bolted right up without a problem and looks fantastic!

Something to think about.

Besides, need a fender for your '67? Call GM... or better yet, find a good one in the salvage yards. I'll take the re-pop stuff any day! Fits as good as the factory stuff did back in '67!!! Or were all the shims that I found in my truck added later??? Not to mention, spraying a quick coat of Slick Sand and sanding it smooth on re-pop parts is much easier than dealing with 40 year old paint and rust on used parts!!!

One more thing, gotta remember guys that when they made our trucks way back when, they didn't really care if the jambs lined up perfectly or not. They didnt roll a ball bearing down the jambs to make sure everything was perfect. That is only a recent thing, really. They made our trucks for work and they were not perfect from the factory, period. Yes they can be made that way now, but only after spending $$$ paying someone to get everything to fit just so. As long as nothing rubs when I open the door, I'm good.

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 12-30-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 AM   #27
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

That about sums it up the way i feel...Thanks Don....And IMO in (some cases) as in the S-series trucks and Full Size Gm .I have had better luck getting after market stuff to fit BETTER than G.Ms parts...Especially in the later years. as far as the mid year 90s S series to th end...And the 99+ full size...
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #28
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
That about sums it up the way i feel...Thanks Don...
You are quite welcome.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #29
mbgmike

[QUOTE=Richard8971;3054470]

I will say that when re-pop stuff first starting making the scene about 15-20 years ago, most of it was crap. But now, I can't honestly say that anymore. I have found that 80% of it is as good of quality as OEM parts. That being said means one of two things. Either 1) The A/M companies are getting better at what they make, or 2) the OEM products are crap now. I think maybe a little of both...

You should have seen the FIT 40 years ago on the aftermarket panels when the entire quarter panel was a slip on type over the top of the existing panel (or what was left of it). They were made in America and they were piece's of crap to fit. The whole industry has gotten better. We did not have the neat welders like we do now, at least no one could afford one.

I agree on the little of both. I know ford has aftermarket panels stamped with their name and they are not the factory part.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #30
jb4short
Damn Yankee

the WORST re-pop part was back in '79 or '80...it was the yellow fiberglass 73-80 C10 fenders that came out of Canada
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #31
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

I bought all repro sheet metal for my truck. I replaqced the cab in these photos with one I got out of a southern California salvage yard. I think the repo metal is fine. The problem I have is the gap between the hood and fenders is a little larger than I would like. The grill does not fit the front edges of the fenders correctly. I believe this is because both fenders need to move further in on the radiator support.

I'm not sure if there are some bolt holes on the radiator support that I can slot to make them fit better. I'm not a body man.

I'm still in Okinawa. Six more months and I'll be able to pull her out of storage.

Here are some pics of how the repro front clip looks and my issue:

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote