The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Dually wheel simulator question

I am building a dually right now and have a question about wheel simulators.

How are simulators bolted on ? Is there a plate that goes on underneath the lugnuts or what ?

I want this look....

It looks to me that he has combined late model center caps with wheel simulators.

Center caps:

I know about the special outside threaded lugnuts that these centers require, and I already have a set coming in the mail.

Will I need to do anything special to use these center caps over the simulators ? Or, can I just hold the simulators in place using any lug nut and then run my newer centers instead of the normal centers included with the simulators?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
primered_junk
ASE master tech/machinist

Re: Dually wheel simulator question

Most of the 16" inchers snap on like a hub cap, the more expensive models bolt on with the lugs. If they will work I would recommend the newer doge units, go on like a hub cap, those centers will come real close to working, low maintenance and don't bend or rattle like the others do. Go see Jeter (67sub) at allen samuels and he will probably show you a set.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Elephanthead

The set that came on my heap bolted on under the lug nuts, It was a pain getting them off without scratching them up. The center caps that is, hard to pry them off on the rear since it was so far in.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephanthead View Post
The set that came on my heap bolted on under the lug nuts, It was a pain getting them off without scratching them up. The center caps that is, hard to pry them off on the rear since it was so far in.
So, my question is, without the simulator center caps in place, will the lugnuts hold the simulators in place ?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

The short answer:No.
That flatbed has chrome wheels.But,simulators come in both DOT approved bolt-on under the spreader plate and snap-on like a wheelcover.I`ve only used the bolt-ons on a`78 with the spreader plate and center cover supplied with simulators.
I believe those GM center caps will work.As I recall the holes in the simulators were big enough to clear the lug seat.I believe what you will have is the 8 plastic lug-like-thingys holding the cap on which will be holding the simulator on.Like a simulator sandwhich.I`d think that would work.The factory spreader ring & lug nuts hold "everything" on.The wheel will be held on properly with the lug and I think the 8 plastic lugs will hold the simulator fine.Are you familiar with A&W Direct?They have a work truck and a towing supply catalog with different simulators listed that you can have a look at.They talk about different mounting and prolly could advise you on what you plan.I bet it`s come across their table before.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-31-2008 at 09:17 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Elephanthead

If I remember right, mine were held on by a ring that was held on by the lug nuts, I will take some pictures, hell I can box one up and send it to you if you want to pay shipping there and back. If you don't need the center caps we can probably make a trade for them, the center caps are missing some fake lugs, but the main sections are fine, I don't plan on using them myself I like the painted white bud rim look. These are 16 inchers that I have.

Last edited by Elephanthead; 12-31-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The short answer:No.
That flatbed has chrome wheels.But,simulators come in both DOT approved bolt-on under the spreader plate and snap-on like a wheelcover.I`ve only used the bolt-ons on a`78 with the spreader plate and center cover supplied with simulators.
I believe those GM center caps will work.As I recall the holes in the simulators were big enough to clear the lug seat.I believe what you will have is the 8 plastic lug-like-thingys holding the cap on which will be holding the simulator on.Like a simulator sandwhich.I`d think that would work.The factory spreader ring & lug nuts hold "everything" on.The wheel will be held on properly with the lug and I think the 8 plastic lugs will hold the simulator fine.Are you familiar with A&W Direct?They have a work truck and a towing supply catalog with different simulators listed that you can have a look at.They talk about different mounting and prolly could advise you on what you plan.I bet it`s come across their table before.

Now, that's the meat and potatos right there.

But, ya know, the more I look at the picture I posted above, I do believe you are right that he has chrome wheels instead of simulators. Notice the center of the wheel has some irregularities on it, plus, you can see the wheel weight clamped onto the rim. I do believe simulators cover up wheel weights.

I'm just trying to get the nice wheel look without having to sandblast 4 of my wheels. I don't mind shooting the paint, but the prep work is a bear.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 12-31-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote