The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
ripdog28

How this Obsession started.

I remember many chevys in the drive way growing up in Michigan.
The first being a late 70s blue 1/2 tone that my father(23 at the time) received when his father passed away. Next was a mid 80s Red 1/2ton SWB 4x4. A Purple late 70s 1/2ton SWB 4x4. Then there were my two i owned in mid 90s. First was an 84 LWB 1/2ton with no damn rust at all which i quickly smashed just a few weeks after my dad put a fresh paint job on. BTW i was looking at some girls i knew and rear ended a pizza guy in an S-10. Next was my 82 which i sold when i left for Boot Camp.

But The most memorable and the reason im posting in 67-72 was my Great Grandma Irenes. Not sure of the year (69-71) because i was way young when i first remember the truck. A red 3/4ton LWB with a granny (creeper) gear that thing would wind out to 4k+ and do 15mph. I would love when my dad would take me out to Great Grandma's to get that thing to do some hauling. My favorite memories were sitting in that truck with my father and brother while hauling logs or whatever. Dad would stick it in low and blurp the throttle. Man was that some fun times. I never got to drive that truck because She died in 94, a few months before i was 16 and it was sold.

This, i have decided was my downfall into this 67-72 chevy truck Anonymous web site and is the reason i have almost $20k and over 5yrs into an unfinished truck which i am obsessed with.

Post your reason for being here where we give ourselves odd names yet feel like best friends.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.

Last edited by ripdog28; 12-30-2008 at 10:44 PM.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
72BLUZ

Re: How this Obsession started.

i have always loved chevrolets, my all time favorite car was my first. it was a 72 chevelle malibu that my dad and i rebuilt together. man was i surprised when he towed in home. that was in the year of 1978. i was 16. we worked practically day and nite putting it all together. we pulled the 307 eng out of a four door nova to put in the chevelle. did all the body work and i took it to earl shieb for the paint. was not a fancy paint job but none the less it was mine and i was proud.
about 2 years ago i was thinking of getting me another chevelle when i started getting to know see ten. he had his 2 trucks and made the one a low rider. i thought he was out of his mind to chop a truck that way. then my bro in law 71see10 bougt one and did the same thing. the more i looked at thier trucks the more i started getting the fevor and wanted one. so in sept of 2006 i set out on a quest to have me one. and thanks to 71see10 and see ten here i am with my very own low rider.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Indyuke

My family has always liked older cars. My dad was given a black, lifted, 4x4 SWB '72 when I was born. Perfect condition, but he drove it into the ground and so dragged home a '65 C10 with a 292 and a granny 4spd.

I grew up with that '65. My dad built a plywood bench seat just behind the cab for us kids, put a canopy on it, took out the windows so you could talk back and forth and drove it to alaska, colorado, vermont and finally here to washington. I went to work with him in that truck, to church, vacations, everywhere because that was the only vehicle our family had for 14 years.

Up until recently he had a '69 C10 for work, but decided to go to the dark side and bought a brand new f250 for work. He says it looks more professional than an old chevy in downtown Bellevue. But since then he's seen how nice my '70 has turned out and it's convince him to get another 67-72 chevy. He's appalled at the prices for them these days.

My parent's personal vehicle is still a '75 buick. The newest vehicle I own is a '96 contour. It's actually my wife's car... neither one of us like it, but it just won't die. We run it hard and long, but the only thing thats gone out in seven years is a wheel bearing. Go figure. I guess I got a wednesday car or something.

Last edited by Indyuke; 12-31-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
caminokid
Chevy nut

It started out with a 69 Firebird...then the love for cars went to Chevelles, GTO's, El Caminos Cutlasses and 442's...and all and all Chevy Trucks. The first of the 67 to 72 trucks was a 70. I realized that I really loved those trucks. My favorite is the 72 Cheyenne. Just like the 72 Chevelle.

The need for speed is the other reason. Nothing like a big block rumbling away!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"

Last edited by caminokid; 12-31-2008 at 12:14 AM.
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

My dad had a 68 Camaro, he always told me stories, he also had an 85 3+3 4x4, he also told me about his dads 80's Chevy van with a built 350. Ever since those stories I have loved Chevy's. Then my brother bought the 72 2 years ago, then 2 weeks ago I bought it.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Like many others on this board....it all started with Pops! Right after I was born, my dad bought a brand spankin' new 1968 Buick GS350. Medium Blue with White guts and the obligatory ralley's and twice pipes. He held onto that car until the mid-90's. All 5 of us kids learned to drive in that car and I even put a paint job on it and some baby moons. If I would have known then, what I know now- I wouldn't have let him sell it (running and driving no less)for $500. Shortly after buying the GS he also bought a '68 Chevy SWB 4x4 V8, 4spd. he even had vanity plates that read "K-Paso" on them. It was the light blue with white top and blue interior. I loved that truck- but alas, he sold it in '75 to buy a 1-ton cargo van for his furniture refinishing business...bummer for sure! But, hope was on the way....the very next year he dropped a wad and bought a bad-ass '39 chevy coupe hot-rod! Hells yeah! Unfortunately his wife (my stepmother)whom we affectionately call the "B!tch" didn't appreciate vintage tin and insisted on a new car to drive (a POS Buick Regal no less)- so the '39 was sold.! That was pretty much the end of my Dad's involvement in cool cars. Nonetheless, I was influenced enough to continue the tradition. First with said Buick GS, then I got myself a '69 camaro basket case and rodded that for awhile (wish I hadn't sold that one). Then I got a '68 Chevelle, then a '69 El Camino. Mind you- none of the aforementioned "muscle cars" were anything to write home about, but man would I like to have any and all of them back! After the Elky- I somehow stumbled upon the vintage VW thing and spent the better part of 10 years cruisin' around in German tin in various stages of customiziation/completion. Then I came to my senses and rediscovered my long-lost affections for the '67-'72 chevy/GMC trucks and now have a '67 LWB CST as a driver and a '67 GMC SWB as my project dujour. I intend to drive classic iron for as long as the gubment will let me and maybe just a wee bit longer if I can. As nice and convenient as the new rides are....they just don't have the soul of classic Detroit. Sadly the magic is all but evaporated from the Big 3 as they focus more on profitability then actually defining an era as they did in the 50's and 60's.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
R.L.

I grew up in these trucks, there time machines. In 1978 I was 18 and picked up my first 58 Apachie, it's been an obsession every sence.
In 65 Dad had a Power wagon, split windsheld and running boards like a lot of our neighbors had. then he bought a new light blue C-10 in 67 swb 3 on the tree way cool. kept it for 25 years, I learned to drive in that truck bounching around on our farm. When I think of all the hunting trips fishing trips and the work we did in that old truck it was a part of my life. Dad put it up for sale one day when I was out of state working and it sold. It was seen on the side of the road a couple years later but I was out of state working again and was gone when I got back home, I was told it was going to have the engine pulled to go in an other car and the body was headed for the shreader. Dad pulled that motor out under a shade tree down by the pond one summer and did the work his self on a piece of plywood. He took the block and heads in to be machined and had it back together in a weeks time. He sold that truck a week before I came home and he died suddenly a week later. I still search e-bay hoping the shreader didn't get dads truck, what a wast of time. My uncle had a lwb stepside with a storie too.

I think I'll go check e-bay, one more time.

Last edited by R.L.; 12-31-2008 at 03:37 AM.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
BigDaddyDave
RIP BigDaddyDave ~7-23-09~ You will be missed~

I was 17 teen and looking to buy something to drive.I found a 68 short bed and was in love. I bought it on a Saturday, and had to wait until Monday to pick it up, that was the longest weekend of my life. I could buy almost any car or truck today, but nothing is made like these any more.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
c10addict

My family owned this truck before I was born... We still have it today.. THis is what made me love 67 to 72 trucks!
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Okay, where did MY obsession start? My dad said it was when I would ride in the back seat of his '38 Ford 2-dr sedan (with a 60-hp V-8), and call out the kinds of cars that were behind us. I vaguely remember seeing a '46-48 Pontiac while doing that. He and mom met when he was selling used cars and she was working in the office of the dealership. From there, the influence was fed by my uncle, a mechanic, who just couldn't leave his stuff stock. He had a '34 Ford Victoria, running a '48 Merc with 2-deuces, Zephyr gears, a Columbia 2-speed rear with skirts, spotlights and crescent flipper moons. Since I was under the influence, I became car crazy. My first car was a '48 Dodge, then a '54 Ford 2-dr, and a '56 Merc 2-dr HT and on and on and on. My first Chevy was a '57 more door, 6-stick. Then, a new '67 Cougar and a '60 TR-3. While in the USAF, I got my first Pontiac, a '64 Bonneville ragtop. When I was in VietNam, we got a brand-spanking new '69 P-10 stepvan to replace the '63 Econoline van we had been using that had no side or rear doors and a 2x8 for a bench on one side. Also, while in VietNam, I was assigned to the '68 El Camino SS396 (350HP) that we used as a chase vehicle for the U-2's. After I got out in '71, I had a succession of vehicles, with my first Chevy truck being a '61 Apache SWB stepside, followed by another '61 Apache LWB Stepside and then a '56 SWB, in '74. My next Chevy truck would be a '65 C-10 SWB Fleetside, and later a LWB '65 Fleet w/factory air. In '82, I bought a '76 Blazer. After I got rid of it, I bought and redid an '81 El Camino, V-6 into which I put a Saginaw 4-speed, to replace the 3-speed. My next Chevy truck was another '65 C-10, SWB stepside. After that, my youngest son wanted a truck and found a '69 SWB that we went to look at and then bought. When he got his, I got the bug again and found one for myself, which I have disassembled and am trying to re-do.

There are many more vehicles that I will not list, because there are too many. Here is the El Camino, at my shop at Bien Hoa, RVN, in April, '70.
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 12-31-2008 at 10:58 AM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

It has been heard before, but back in oh 2002 I decided I wanted a toy to play with. Between military, work, school, marriages, divorces, remarriages, and kids, I pretty much had vehicles I just drove and not much time to play on them. I just kept them running. I talked to my wife and so to speak got the blessings to have a "project". I originally was looking into a 47-55 style Chevy or 50s F1/F100. While doing some computer work for a friend in the church, we got talking about my goal. He mentioned that he had his dad's old truck, a 70 Chevy. I had not seen the truck yet, but when I got home I googled and found this place and started looking. I really got into the 67-72 trucks and when I saw the one, I was sold and hooked ever since.

I wish I had spent more time driving the old girl, before I started my "quick" refresh of her. 6 years later, she has a lot of changes and don't move on her own yet, but I love her and working on them, which is what I wanted.

I still like the 47-55 years a whole lot and am really liking the 60-66 years now too. My son is 10, so we'll have to be doing something for him before too long.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-31-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
skchevota

Well my story is like a lot of them. My grand father had a 71 c20 with a holliday rambiler camper on it, in 73( before I was even a twinkle) my dad bougt a 70 c20 with a brand new fourwinds camper on it. This is the same c20 that I still have. I gew up in that truck, we took it every where. Are other car was a 67 fairlane with a 289 that my parents got for there wedding. When my dad passed away in 89 I was only 13 but the truck became my project. I rebuilt the 396(402) the front end and took off the camper. It was ready for when I turned 16. My mom bought a 68 camero a year later that I wanted bad, but she wanted to keep it. A few yeasrs later she moved to idaho and I got the 68. When I moved to Colorado in 2002 I gave the 68 back to her because I had know where to put it and i had to keep my 70 c20.
Then this last summer I found out that her boy friend was trying to sell the 68 out from under her( hed did this with two other trucks already) so We planned a family trip and I showed up with my car trailer. The look on his face was priceless. So now I have it back again. and Ironicly, we had to sell my wifes xterra a couple of mothes ago, so My wife has been driving my Dodge to work, well I had to pull the 68 out of storage for a second vehical. After 6 years of not running, some new gas and a carb rebuild, it will still lay rubber till you let off the gas or the tires blow
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Devious boyfriend, huh? Guess he was gonna pocket some change w/o letting her know how much he actually got for it....sounds like to me.

Reminds me of a '64 Galaxie convertible that I bought from my ex-husband-in-laws' ex-wife (the ex-wife of my ex-wifes' 2nd husband). Anyway, she had been trying to sell the car for $1600, the summer of '81. She called me one day and asked if I knew anyone who would buy her car. So, I said, "I'll give you $200 for it", never expecting the answer she gave me, which was "Well, I WOULD take $400 or $300 for it". Being the generous soul that I am, I said, "I can give you $300 on Friday (it was Monday)." So, she agreed to it. On Friday, she called me and asked if I still wanted the car. I said yes. She said that two guys were coming to drive it and buy it for $500. The wife and I beat a path up the road for the 35 minutes it took to get there. When arriving, I noticed it was not in the lot. But I went to her apartment and found that the car was being driven by the two guys, and while they were in it, I paid her the $300. She gave me the title and the extra keys. I went back down to the lot; the car was there; a guy was looking at it. I got in and fired it up. He asked me what I was doing. I said, "I just bought this car!". You coulda driven a Mack truck into his gaping jaw. My ex was really ticked over that deal. It was going to be her car......through a third party deal.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 12-31-2008 at 05:37 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote