The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
TwoFiftyShifter

I might have found my first truck!

I've been looking for a first truck to wrench on and use a my dirt bike hauler, basically a project, it just needs to be an old Chevy/GMC. My budget is low, and I've seen sokme great truck on craiglist and Ebay, but I went to see the junk man today, and he had one that I might just bring home. It's a 1964 GMC shortbed. The bed is rotted and will need to be replaced, as will some of the body parts, and some of the front clip, but the frame and cab are solid, and the 230 I6 supposedly runs. The guy has the title/registration and told me it will fire right up with a good battery, told me he wanted $300 for it. I'd like to go when I have some more time and look it over, what should I look for?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Re: I might have found my first truck!

For $300, look for four wheels, and a decent frame!

That's a good price for a project. I say offer him $200 on general principals, and see if he'll go for it.

Looks like the hood's in good shape, and it's got new fenders. Interior doesn't look totally thrashed either. '64-66 hoods can be a pain to find, and not cheap. I'd give the inner fenders and cowl a good look over. They tend to rust out, and aren't the easiest thing to replace.

Good luck, and cool truck!

Otherwise, for the price, it doesn't look like a terrible deal.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
apachedaddy

Thumbs up Re: I might have found my first truck!

Mine didnt look much better than that when i got it and i paid more than 300 bucks... I say dont pass it up...looks like a very good front drivers side fender...Also looks to be a GMC model..Just one warning if you drag it home its addicting...
apachedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

See if he'll throw in the disc brake setup from the C-10 in the background. Never hurts to ask.
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
TwoFiftyShifter

Ha! Gonna give the guy a call tomorrow and go look at it again, this time I'll be packing a charged battery and something to lay on to look underneath it. If it starts and looks decent underneath, I'll make plans to drag it out of there. There are at least a dozen '60-'66 trucks over there, most rot boxes but I bet I could snag a door or two off of it.

Last edited by TwoFiftyShifter; 12-31-2008 at 12:25 AM.
TwoFiftyShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
leftcoast66

I'd go for it for sure. Would be a great starting point. Have a friend who has a 62 chevy that she uses as a rig to haul her bikes.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Zaynay

I'm in the same boat. I spotted an ad for a '65 Chevy pickup for $500 and thought, "my dad would never go for this." Low and behold, I told him and we went to go check it out yesterday. From what was discussed, I think we're getting it. I plan to fix it up to at least the basics of start and stop, and then make it a bit less of an eyesore for others. (I think it's beautiful already.) The truck looks to be a '65 Chevy C10 Custom with a fleetside longbed.

That's my dad looking under it in the last picture. She needs a lot of work. The engine sounds good though, from what my parents said. Truthfully I didn't know the first thing about engines until I became obsessed with this truck. From what was established yesterday, I know I need to check the points, check the brakes, fix a short somewhere, and get the transmission replaced. The tranny in there now had a problem with getting stuck in gear, so the guy had a friend of his weld some bars together. Fixed the problem, but now sometimes the truck stays in gear instead of shifting back to manual. Anyone else hear of that? Well, I'll be around to ask many more questions. Thanks guys, looking forward to a long road ahead of me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zaynay; 01-19-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Zaynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaynay View Post
I'm in the same boat. I spotted an ad for a '65 Chevy pickup for $500 and thought, "my dad would never go for this." Low and behold, I told him and we went to go check it out yesterday. From what was discussed, I think we're getting it. I plan to fix it up to at least the basics of start and stop, and then make it a bit less of an eyesore for others. (I think it's beautiful already.) The truck looks to be a '65 Chevy C10 Custom with a fleetside longbed.

That's my dad looking under it in the last picture. She needs a lot of work. The engine sounds good though, from what my parents said. Truthfully I didn't know the first thing about engines until I became obsessed with this truck. From what was established yesterday, I know I need to check the points, check the brakes, fix a short somewhere, and get the transmission replaced. The tranny in there now had a problem with getting stuck in gear, so the guy had a friend of his weld some bars together. Fixed the problem, but now sometimes the truck stays in gear instead of shifting back to manual. Anyone else hear of that? Well, I'll be around to ask many more questions. Thanks guys, looking forward to a long road ahead of me.
cool man!
glad you are excited....
but forum etiquette dictates you start your own thread and not hi-jack someone else's....
Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Zaynay

Red face Re: I might have found my first truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
cool man!
glad you are excited....
but forum etiquette dictates you start your own thread and not hi-jack someone else's....
Sorry, I never meant to hijack TwoFiftyShifter's thread. Just thought that it would make more sense to post similar experiences in the same one instead of having two threads on the same topic.
Zaynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
joe231

live and learn
technically your post isn't on the same topic
Old 12-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Glad to see you guys are taking the plunge!

Take many pics and let us know if any little critters are found in the initial look-see. Buying these things is just like eating peanuts (and for some - getting married):

One is never enough.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
MXmaniac

I'd say pull the trigger and go for it. If it ends up not being what you want you could most likely get more than $300 for it and come out ahead. But it looks like a good opportunity so don't pass it up!
'97 F*rd Mustang GT(4.6L, 5-speed) Daily Driver
If I only wanted two pedals I'd have bought a bicycle.
MXmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
TwoFiftyShifter

TTT

Well, I bought that '64. I'm having ti towed home tomorrow. I hooked it up to a fresh battery and persuaded it with a trickle of fuel down the carb, and she fired right up. It needs inner fenders, some more front clip parts, a BED, both doors, and get the right rear wheel off (Lug nuts rusted on) and get it turning free (wheel is locked.) What do you think could cause a wheel to be locked like that? Anyway, this truck was inspected and on the road in 2003, so it might not be as far gone as I thought. My plans are to replace whats broken/rotted, get all brakes and motor functioning, and sometime get it on the road. I payed $275 title in hand. A quick question - What's the exterior peice called between the grille and the hood?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #14
joe231

grill support
Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
Hillbilly Deluxe 65
Wheelin' and Dealin'

Grill Support Front Panel

http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/stor...Category_ID=93
12bolt w/ eaton tru-trac 4:11 gears

1BADD65
my build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2601700
Hillbilly Deluxe 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #16
MXmaniac

Maybe the parking brake was set when it was parked and the cable rusted to the housing so it won't release. That's what happened on a F*rd Bronco that I drug home for free.
'97 F*rd Mustang GT(4.6L, 5-speed) Daily Driver
If I only wanted two pedals I'd have bought a bicycle.
MXmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #17
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

I second that diagnosis!

If the lugs are rusty, odds are good the innards are equally afflicted. Soak 'em down with some Liquid Wrench, or similar penetrant and see what happens...
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote