The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2003, 05:09 PM   #26
dubie

The coldest I have eve run my little inline in the 72 was -66 F. I plugged it in the night before, pulled the choke open and it fired right right away. IT only turned over once and she was ready to go. Then I pulled the manual throttle out and let it idle for 5 minutes or so. And I drove this truck as a daily driver for 5 years in this. Believe it or not, the 3 speed manual tranny shifts WAY better when it's that cold. The truck would sit outside all day long without being plugged in and still fire up at lunch and home time without the slightest groan. THESE TRUCKS ROCK!!!!!

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 05:52 PM   #27
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GMC71k20
where in mass do you live xxl? im right next to framingham and natick
I'm in Walpole... just a quick run down Route 27.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:50 PM   #28
bmg

I am here in anchorage, ak and i have no problems with fluids. I suppose there is a lil condensation or just time for new fluids. The temp here last 3 months is roughly 5 below and coldest 15below.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:31 AM   #29
GMC71k20

we should meet sometime this spring/summer. what shows do you go to usually?
GMC71k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:39 AM   #30
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GMC71k20
we should meet sometime this spring/summer. what shows do you go to usually?
Definitely. As for shows... I get on a train in the morning, pop up out of a tunnel in Cambridge, work for 10 hours, then head home. Repeat 5-6 times per week.

What kinds of Weekend shows, drive-ins, or crusie spots are out there???

Kenneth
Old 03-02-2003, 02:51 AM   #31
XXL
Seņor Member

OK, the brakes don't seem to be any better. The other day I was backing the truck out of the (heated) garage and got the center crossmember high-centered on some snow. So for most of the day it sat half in and half out of the garage. That afternoon I got it unstuck and pulled it back in, but I noticed that when the back wheel was turning, I could mash the brake pretty hard and the wheel would keep spinning if the trans was in gear. I didn't notice then but today I drove it around the block and noticed the brake pedal drops a good 2" with no tension when I go for a stop, then it feels like I've got no power assist. What happened???

Am I stopping with fronts only? Is my booster dead? Is it time for me to shell out for the super-smooth under floor booster/pedal setup ?

Oh, this is power disc brake conversion I did about 3 1/2 years ago and I haven't had any real problems until now.

Kenneth
Old 03-02-2003, 05:33 AM   #32
Lowerd1
Full Time Loser!

My dads 1978 Chevy does that. If its cold outside and you start it up you better be prepared to sit there while it warms or else the trans will not engage. He said its the filter and it needs to be changed so I get to do that. WOOHOO! Plus the Fluids need to be changed but you do that anyways with a trans filter change.

You might want to check that out.
Lowerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:10 AM   #33
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally posted by XXL
That afternoon I got it unstuck and pulled it back in, but I noticed that when the back wheel was turning, I could mash the brake pretty hard and the wheel would keep spinning if the trans was in gear.

Kenneth
Your star adjuster on your rear brakes is probably frozen and not adjusting. I had a 92 Chevy Van that the same thing happened. I would be driving in the snow and ice and the van would keep of pushing. It was a very strange feeling.

You might want to pull of the rear wheels and see if you can manually adjust them.
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote