The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

got the beast going for 30 second. help!

so I got the beast going for about 30 seconds. not tooo bad considering it has been siting for 2 years. I "think" it was running off of the starter fluid. because I look down at the clear fuel filter I have and I can only see a little bit of gas in there. should it be full? if so, I am wondering if my pump is going out? maybe gummed up? I have a new filter so I will slap that on tomorrow. but I have to get it running long enough to get it on a trailer so when we move sometime this month. any other advice would be great! thanks!

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
79gmcc15

Re: got the beast going for 30 second. help!

ttt like to try to get this thing going better tomorrow.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
87c10slammer
truck addict

the filter should be full i would spray some carb cleaner down the line when you go to replace the filter... the carb maybe gummed up pretty bad if it was sitting... if that fails to work then unhook the line and turn the engine over to see if the pump is working... if it is then you need to rebuild and clean your carb
87c10slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
79gmcc15

ok, thanks! I'll try giving that a try tomorrow! I sure hope it isent the carb! that would not be cool lol

Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Did the filter fix it?

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

sometimes if you just take the carb off and really really clean it out good you can get it to run

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
dswancutt

What I do is just take the air cleaner lid off, remove the air filter then pour some gas into the carb. You don't need more than a cap full. What has happened is the gas has evaporated from the carb and most likely the fuel pump. I have used this to start my truck which has sat for 3 months and other trucks that have sat for several years. It will sometimes take a few tries before the fuel pump gets primed then they run on their own.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
79gmcc15

YAY!!!!! I got it going!!! and under its own power! lol changed the filter put a couple drops of gas in and she turned over! I had to keep it going a little with starter fluid but its going all by its self now! I just need to put some tranny fluid in it now. and it had about 30? (half way on gauge) psi oil right off! and it was charging! I am so excited! I just wish I could take it for a drive lol.

sorry for the squealing I think its the alternator. and I sound like a goober! LOL

Last edited by 79gmcc15; 01-04-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
66truckin

your not a goober lol. cool vids, glad you got it going
66truckin is offline   Reply With Quote