The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
GOPAPA

Got Any Opinions On A Couple Of Things ?

Soon as it warms up from our winter I will be starting where I left off on my rear gas tank installation and gas line hook up..
Should I run a complete new line to my new tank /or to the line that reaches as far as the rear of the cab that was used for the behind the seat tank ?
Which would you prefer , a new rebent line or straight line sections and bend and flare fit my self ?

Also along with the straps I have shown on the new rear tank /would you run straps in the opposite direction too.?

Another thing is that the brake line hose comming off the tee that is mounted to the rear end is bad and needs replaced / So far I have not found a place to buy just the hose / do I have to buy the tee along with it ?

I will not be hooking up the charcoal tank / so one line in picture next to fuel pump will be taken off .. Heres pictures of the fuel lines /tank straps / brake hose line with tee .... LARRY

The Truck is a Short Box /BB

Attachment 418562
Attachment 418563
Attachment 418564
Attachment 418565

Last edited by GOPAPA; 10-15-2009 at 11:43 AM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
71 super

Re: Got Any Opinions On A Couple Of Things ?

Rear hose is available through local parts house- NAPA,CarQuest, Advance etc. I would personally run new lines 3/8'' and bend myself, the old has been there for 30 plus years and is due to be replaced. Straps should not matter, you are using double nuts- I would use single nyloc nut instead on each if you wanted extra insurance. JMO
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
GOPAPA

I tried napa and they only sell the hose and tee hooked togeather for around $90 ..I would like to just buy the hose if possible ..
Are you saying that the nylon nut is more secure than two nuts tightened against each other? this is a clarification not a rebuttle.. I am from old school and not familier with the nylon ones for proof of insurance that they are better.. I;m listening to you though..

thanks and I thought you all would recomend and new gas line ,,
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Ok here's my take.I'm not sure what wheelbase you're working with but if it's a LWB you could just get a prebent fuel line for a "burb.And as far as the brake line.I have a 68 and it's different from the other years.I'm not sure which years had which.I got a new rear brake line from a BB vendoor for about $30.00. That looks like mine.If you pull the U clip it may be that it is a fitting threaded into the block.IIRC that's how mine was.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 01-06-2009 at 06:34 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I reckon I'd just run a new 1/4-inch line, with the bends as needed to accomodate the frame rail, up to the point where it would need a piece of flexible fuel line on each end to connect, "as needed". The original gas tank has the steel line connected to the pickup/float ass'y. I'd do the same to eliminate the possibility of a rubber fuel line decaying and being difficult to get to. That's my 2-cents worth. It's your truck.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
C20_Paul

I recently got done with my rear fuel tank install. I ran a new 3/8" steel line from the new gas tank up to where the OEM steel line for the in-cab tank begins.

I bought a new piece of rubber fuel line and relocated my fuel filter from the engine compartment to here. If I am going to have a fuel leak I would rather have it down there than on top of my engine (the exhaust is not near this spot on my truck). Basically if you were looking at my frame rail it goes:

Carb---OEM Steel fuel line---rubber hose--fuel filter---rubber hose---new steel fuel line---rear mounted gas tank

Then I used some insulated hangers to keep the new steel fuel line snugged up to the frame.

Hope that helps

Last edited by C20_Paul; 01-06-2009 at 07:58 PM.
C20_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Strange. You'd think with all the after market, rear tank kits out there that somebody would offer a fuel line set up.
I think I'd do like PanelDeland said & go with "burb" fuel line, if the tank is a "burb" knock off.
If you have a short bed, maybe you could cut a section out of the line & put in a "hard" coupler, so as to reduce the amount of rubber connections in the system.
C20_Paul's idea to put a filter in @ the frame isn't a bad idea either, IMHO. When I installed a pair of saddle tanks on my '76 Jimmy, I did the same thing. All 3 tanks ran through that 1 filter before they fed the fuel pump.

As for the mounting hardware, I'm going to go out on a limb & guess that it's grade 5, or better. If you decide to go with Nyloc nuts, make sure they too are grade 5, or better. I don't honestly know how Nyloc nuts are rated.
I do know it would be a crying shame to have a nut failure (that didn't come out quite right!) on a fuel tank mounting.

I'm not qualified to comment on the brake line.

You are now the proud possessor of my .02.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
GOPAPA

I like it ..I will get a new Burb fuel line that is prebent and cut a section out of it some where along the frame out of the way of exhaust pipe and put a gas filter in ..sounds just what I was looking for ,,for an answer to which way to go.. thanks you all for the different ideas as they all brought me to a solution.. as for the brake line I will keep looking for either a whole hose and tee or maybe some one does carry just the hose ..
Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Brento

[SIZE="3"]I got the rear line and junction block from inline tube. Here are some part numbers.
...TH-542
Rubber Brake Hose - Chevy Pickup
1967-70 Chevy Pickup 2wd 1/2 ton, Coil - Rear Hose
OEM Rubber
$26.00

...TH-910
Rubber Brake Hose - Chevy Pickup
1971-72 Chevy Pickup 2wd, 1/2-3/4 - Rear Hose
OEM Rubber
$32.00

All brake hoses are DOT approved and manufactured to exact factory specifications. These hoses are for stock applications and are only available in the stock lengths. For custom or modified hoses in longer or shorter length see the stainless braided hose section.

Here is a link to their site... http://www.inlinetube.com/
The Chevy Trucks are listed toward the bottom of the application lists, seperate from the passenger car listings. Hope this helps.[SIZE]
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
jholley

I work in the aviation industry and barring safety wire and excluding any area with excessive heat I would run nyloc nuts over jamnuts everyday of the week.

Jim

Garage fillers...

85 Chevy C10 Silverado LWB
07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S
jholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholley View Post
I work in the aviation industry and barring safety wire and excluding any area with excessive heat I would run nyloc nuts over jamnuts everyday of the week.
You, My Friend, and folks like you, are the reason this board is so great.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
cdowns

for your gas line i'd just buy a roll of 3/8tubing from the local auto parts store
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
GOPAPA

Thanks all for the input ,,I believe I got enough info to do the job of the gas line and brake hose,, Larry
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
Gray Ghost

Another vote for running your own lines...I did that for mine and it came out great. You are going to love that rear tank!
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
GOPAPA

I have ask this before I believe but lost the thread explaining to me just how you make that little bubbled out edge on the end a gas line so a Hose will not slip off ..If you did this when you cut and flared your own, then maybe you could let me on how you did it.. And along with this question
Did you use a regular flarring tool to get this bubble affect or is it done by a special tool?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

On the brake hose, be very careful with that brass "T" at the rear end. Thread your new hose very carefully...I recently destroyed mine when I made new lines from the "T" to the wheel cylinders, and the local brake shop said they don't make this kind of "T" anymore (3/16 inverted flare with 3/8 24 thread for the lines to the wheel cyls and 1/4 inverted flare and 7/16 20 thread for the hose). You can buy 3/16 inverted flare with 3/8 24 for all three all day, and even 1/4 inverted flare 3/8 24 thread, but not that goofy 7/16 20 stuff.

On the fuel line, whether you're buying or bending, one way to make the bubble is to use a normal double flaring tool, and only do the first part (created the bubble) - don't do the second part, doubling the line back over itself. We're only talking 5PSI or so here, so that bubble's purpose is only to give you something to clamp hose behind. Works great. There is also another kind of flare, forget the name, that creates the perfect bubble, but you need a flaring tool for that exact purpose.

If you do use any custom lines for the fuel system, be sure to buy aluminum line if you have a cheapo flaring tool. Flaring 3/8 steel or stainless with a $50 flaring tool is mucho difficulto, senior.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #17
GOPAPA

That is what I am talking about ,,right on.. and thx for the how to and the tips..