The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Larry S

Painless or not?

I am putting a 96 5.7 in my 69. I have my chassis done and the cab is almost ready to go to the blaster, and when I get it back on the chassis, I'm planning to start with the wiring. I have the complete 96 donor truck. I'm trying to decide if I should use the harness out of the donor or, go with the painless. I've never done this kind of swap before. I'm sure I will have to have my computer reprogrammed, and I hear Painless will do this for free if I buy their harness. Is this true? How much will the painless cost me? How "painless" is the Painless? What do you guys recommend and any advice from you guys that have done this swap will be appreciated.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Re: Painless or not?

I've heard both good and bad about Painless, probably a bit more bad.
I used M&H for my engine bay and was real happy with the quality and customer support. Have you looked at them?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
mike nutt
69fatmotor

i used the painless harness in my '69 c/10 also put one in a '68 camaro with no issues. i am currently installing an ls1 in my truck using a painless harness with computer. i would recommend .
mike nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
big_al_71

We used a painless in my friends 72 camaro with no issues... I should had gotten one for my 71c10 and did not dont ask me why I went with a repro from brothers trucks it worked perfect anyway but we did do alot of mods to it.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
bigsnookmaster

I have a Painless, so far no problems and they're tech guys are very helpful.
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
c10addict

I will never buy an engine harness from them again.. I used one in my 68 with the TPI motor... It was very easy to install but the truck would not run right.. After days of diag the only thing I could figure is something in the harness was bad... Their tech line sucks the big one and were of no help.. They also did not want to send me a new harness or a refund... I called Street and Performance and order a harness from them.. Installed it and the truck ran like a top! I cut the painless harness in to hundreds of small pieces and shipped it back to them with a nice letter!
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Larry S

Thanks guys. I'm going to check into the M&H. I was planning to just use the donors harness and modify it, but I'm just wondering what it'l cost me to have my ecm reprogrammed, deleting what I dont need. I dont want to spend all of the time to make that harness work, then have to pay a fortune to reprogram. I emailed customer ser at painless and they do reprogram your ecm for free if you purchase their harness, but they dont sell to public. I priced the harness thru summit racing and jegs. Jegs is considerably cheaper than summit. does anybody know a cheaper place to buy painless if i go that route? Thanks!
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
c10addict

There is alot of stuff in the factory harness you don't need.. I think from a time an effort standpoint your better off buying a new harness
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote