The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Advice needed: Repair bed I have or buy used bed?

Hey guys. When I bought my 87 swb 2 years ago, overall it looked great but I knew eventually, work to the bed would be needed. Well, that holds true. Spots that were rusted when I bought it have completely rotted away. I need to take action this spring.

Photos are posted below of what I am dealing with. These photos are about a year old, the rust conditions you see in the photos are now worse. Also, that gas tank door has been replaced!

As you see in the pics, the underneath (cross rail and tail pan) are severely rotted. Also, the left bedside, has some good rust/rot. The right side of this bed is perfect as well as the inside of the box. I have also noticed the tailgate posts starting to rot!

I am not a body man, that is for sure, but I can weld. The underneath problems, like that cross rail and tail pan, are basically structural pieces that aren't really seen. My fear is repairing the left bedside with repair panels. If I mess up, it is noticeable. Plus, with the repair panels, cheap paint job, supplies, I am looking at atleast $500 probably.

Here is my other option. I have found a solid local dual tank bed for sale (my truck is dual tank as well) for $350. The bed is straight. Tailpan solid, wheel arches solid, floor solid. It does need the same cross rail replaced as my bed, but that is it. But it will also obviously need to be painted. Pics of this bed posted below.

My fear with going with the used bed, is getting it painted. Will it match my cab? My current bed, is already painted. Only section that would have to be painted is that left side wheel arch. Nothing else is touched and therefore, the bed still matches the cab's paint. Which route should I go?

This side of bed is solid! (gas tank door has since been replaced):
Old 01-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
chevymotocross

Re: Advice needed: Repair bed I have or buy used bed?

The used bed for sale:

This cross rail needs to be replaced, that's it though as far as I can see:

Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

i'd just pay the $350 and do the swap

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

My 74 bed was wrecked and a half-azz repair done, It also had rust through on both wheel arches, It only made seance to me to replace the whole thing, I found a dent/rust free for $250....

I understand what your saying about paint matching, But it looks like you have quite a bit of work there on your old one and it will still have to be painted at the repaired areas.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

hey, my cross rail is cooked in the same place

i wonder if it would be benefitial on the new bow to drill a drain hole or 2 into the rail in that area?

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Chevy: The hard part of fixing the other bed is done, it's off the chassis. Simply measure the cross beams and record it. Cut out the old ones. Sandblast the floor and POR it. Fabricate new beams and bolt them in using your measurements. Spray the bottom with bed liner material & install it on the truck. Paint looks to be in good shape on cab, so a match shouldn't be a problem. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
62 short step

I would change the bed, since thats a solid one.

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Buy the bed. Paint the underside with Zero Rust.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
ChaseDale3and8

I agree with these guys. Buy the other bed and be done with it. It will be a lot less work and you don't have to worry about messing it up. Just be sure to go over it VERY thouroughly before you buy to make sure there's no bondo hidden in it. ...Joe
Old 01-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
chevymotocross

The used bed does make better sense. I already have a new bed bolt kit to use. I will be saving my tailgate since the used one doesn't come with one and all my moldings and trim. I think I may just have the local maaco spray the bed. I am not looking for a show truck. Just something that matches my cab. I have had great luck with zero rust and will coat the entire underneath. I may even line-x the inside of the bed. Hopefully, that will give me a rust free bed for years to come. Next, my cab will start to rust haha.