The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
**grumpy**

Lots of various 65 GMc questions....

Whats up fellas.

I thinking about buying a 65 GMC short fleet. It is that, which is a driver, or a project 49 chopped, clipped chevy. The 65 is a nice, clean 350 4spd, new bed wood driver for 1000. cheaper.

Anyway. The 65 is a leafspring rear and I want it alot lower. I know the flip kits are available. I also have a 70's Camaro rearend, so I may just use it since we'd have to weld perches on anyway.
Opinions?

As for the front. Is one of the drop spindle/ disc brake kits the best way to go? I don't have alot of time to chase parts. We bought a new house last year, so my 15yr old daughters 63 bug is taking space in garage right now opposite mountains of tools and cabinets, and I have to work at buddys shop.

If I go drop spindles, disc brakes...Can I just buy a off the shelf dual master cylinder if I don't want power? Whats the best, most economical one to buy?

I've been laid-off 10 months today. I'm selling a 51 Chevy hardtop to finanace this build.

I need to get it alot lower, get 4 stock steel 15" wheels, and buy new tires, M/C installed for a budget of 1500. or so.

I already paid my buddy to do body and paint work on my hardtop, and the money rolls on to whatever I buy, so thats covered.

If any of you remember the gold 66 short fleet I had couple years ago, well, thats my gameplan for this 65 gmc.

Ok. Opinions, links to needed parts, general tongue lashings, or whatever you wanna say, do it now!!!

My old gold one for reference...
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Lots of various 65 GMc questions....

love the gold one, would have looked awesome with a gmc grille and hood, so there you go..

sems like with the leafs, a massive C notch and whatever size lowering blocks you need...
there was a guy that posted up picks of his truck the other day, nice and low in the front, said he cut 2 coils... user name was drjphotos(?sp) check out his pics
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Bummer about your out-of-work status. I guess we’re going to hear a lot more of that kind of thing from now on. Good luck on your job search and your truck projects. Those pipes are really cool on the gold pick-up. We call them ‘Bellflowers’ out here in SoCal. Always liked that look.

Mac.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

I wish I had some answers for you, but I don't. I just wanted to post and say how awesome that gold truck was.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
**grumpy**

Thanks for the props on the gold truck. It was a fun ride.

I've been reading some.

I found that Stylintrucks has a basic flip kit for $150.
Anyone know of a better set-up or preferred company to them? Opinions?

How much lower can I expect to get just doin a flip? I'm thinking I may do a homemade heavy-wall pipe notch, so about a 3-4".

Thats all the gold truck had. Just a almost frame width pipe notch.

That company also has DJM 3" drop front springs for $153. Will 3 be ok if I go with a 2 1/2" drop spindle/disc brake kit? That'll be in the 5 1/2" drop up front....?!

***EDIT***What if I went with stepped LCA's and drop spings and kept 6-lug drum?? Is there an option there.?? That would be easier and cheaper, plus its a 4spd, so I can downshift...Don't need disc brakes really.
Where can I get stepped LCA's and do I need top ones or can they stay stock? How much drop can I expect?

I would much rather this have coil rear, but can't afford to swap it all out, so leafs have to stay...hence the flip kit.

Anyone have any pics of low GMC's done static?

Also..Whats the best master cylinder to buy if I do the disc's? I don't want power, just a dual m/c that will work.

Thanks....

Last edited by **grumpy**; 01-13-2009 at 03:30 AM.
**grumpy** is offline   Reply With Quote