The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #26
fast75
Go Hard or Go Home!

Re: Any welders?

no generator here, the shop is on a separate meter in to a 200 amp breaker box. 50 y/o, Parris Island, Camp Pendleton @ San Onofre for infantry training, then to Charleston Naval Weapons Station @ Goose Creek South Carolina. spent the majority of my time on the sub base. some pretty impressive stuff they pack into those subs, huh?......later, Lee

2008 Dodge crew cab. YEAH, it's got a hemi, your ass is going to jail quick.

Some day's, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints................................
fast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Lee, good morning. Spent most of my time at U.S.N.R.T.C. Great Lakes. Anyways, without a generator a 50 amp 220 volt breaker will do just fine. Just be careful wireing it up, use all the right connectors and staples, and above all, anything that touches the wire don't make it real tight. Make double sure your grounds are good. Then when your done, flip the breaker on and test everything with a volt meter. 220 and your good to go, LOLL. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #28
muddyblazer02

tig and mig are by far the better choice in processes however you gotta run what you brung so to speak. try using a 6013 rod. it is designed for thin metal.
Ken
Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #29
Damien

When changing brakers, You also have to make sure the wiring is rated to handle the amp load. For example, if you have 14ga wiring, you cannot change your braker form a 15 amp to a 20 amp. The 14ga wire is only rated for 17 amps.
You will cause a fire.
I'm not sure what wire you would need to run 50 or 60 Amps. I will look when I get home tonight.

Last edited by Damien; 01-13-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote